Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

voipcheapcom on UCD network

Options
  • 12-09-2006 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Anyone tell me if you can get voipcheapcom(similar to skype but free calls to all landlines in UK,Ireland and US) to work on the UCD network? The only options in the connection options menu is to pick a port. I've tried 8484 and it wont connect. Don't seem to be able to enter the actual proxy address. I've seen people using skype before around the place so i presume its possible.

Thanks,

HK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Won't work.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

^^ probably wasting your time too i guess.

For the benefit of anyone else, the only way you'll get a connection outbound from a student laptop or pc is for web surfing (http and https).

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭the_viper2kie

Thanks guys,

How come i can use my skype account no problem then? Takes a while to log in/connect but works fine then.
    Would of thought that they both work in a very similar way.

HK

Where are you connecting to the network? i.e. what building. Are you using wireless or wired when you connect?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Skype is much better at getting around firewalls and finding available ports compared to anything offered by blueface, smart etc, as these require specific ports to be open.

It sucks but sure thats the reality of things :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭the_viper2kie

I'm in glenomena, but i've seen people using skype in the eng building and in arts building. I just downloaded another similar program voipbuster and that works fine too-problem with that is you have to top up in order to get the free calls. Each of the 3 programs have the exact same interface and almost identical options menu's. Weird.

As far as I can tell if you have the proxies configured in IE skype uses them to get thru the firewall.

Trinner's actually have a good tutorial on setting up Skype so have a look at it, because I know if I type one out i'll lapse into nerdspeak

Follow http://isservices.tcd.ie/internet/skype.php, and substitute proxy.ucd.ie for proxy.tcd.ie, and leave off your username and password - you don't need it in UCD.

Any of those VoIP protocols do put huge strain on the network, so be considerate! Also I'm not sure what Comp Services' official position is on them - as far as I can see it's ok if it goes through the proxy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭wasted_winter

Don't those computers in arts have skype installed?
    Might have been an early morning pre-coffee daze but I thought I seen skype on them.... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

irlrobins wrote:
    As far as I can tell if you have the proxies configured in IE skype uses them to get thru the firewall.
    Spot on , it picks up on the proxy setting , then uses CONNECTs through the squid or whatever. If you wanted to stop it just drop CONNECTs to numbered addresses (nqdm's), you'll break other stuff though .They seem to have fixed it a bit now , it used to start passing serious traffic if it picked up mutiple gateways on a network.

• Advertisement

I think skype would from a network admin's point of view be a lot better if they could use a Group Policy (same thing that stops you installing stuff on lab machines) to control it.

Advertisement