Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

little kids drinking coffee

Options
  • 12-09-2006 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

In a chat with a neighbour the other day it emerged that both her kids (aged 5 and 3) drink tea and the younger one drinks coffee. Real coffee, not decaff. I was really shocked... is it normal for a 3 year old to drink coffee?

What's the right age to introduce tea and coffee to kids. I was thinking about a warm drink for my 4 years olds lunchbox but I was thinking more along the lines of warm milk than tea, and certainly not coffee!

Do others give your children tea/ coffee?

P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Highlander

My 5 year old son likes a milky cup of tea every now and again but most definetly would not be giving him coffee, can't believe any parent would give kids that young coffee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I grew up drinking tea, never seen a problem with it... but Coffee seems a bit much, I wasn't allowed have coffee as a child, Imagine trying to get them kids to sleep at night, handful?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I probably would give my 4 year old milky tea now if she asked for it but she hasn't expressed any interest so I'll leave it that way for now. I wouldn't dream of giving her coffee. We never drank coffee at home though so I wasn't sure what the "norm" was.

I think the woman was surprised that I was surprised and seemed quite proud of her wee man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

My 8 year old drinks a cup of very milky tea about once or twice a week. My 5 year old tried it once and didn't like it. Both love the foam off mammy's cappucino, but wouldn't touch the actual coffee. I don't have a problem with the (very) odd cup of tea, but coffee - not keen on that for the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

My four children all drank coffee from an early age because they got the taste from drinking my half finished mugs off. I make them milky coffee or tea if they ask for it. They sleep better than a lot of my friends' children.
    What is the truth about caffeine in tea versus coffee?
    Like everything else in life there is no simple answer. It depends on your starting point. Here are the facts as we know them today. On a per pound basis, tea has more caffeine than does coffee. However, a pound of tea will yield about 200-250 cups, depending on how strong you like your tea. A pound of coffee will make between 30-40 cups, depending on how strong you like your coffee. As you can see, a cup of tea has less caffeine per cup than does a cup of coffee. It does so because you use less product per cup of water. Before going to bed, you should ask which is better, per pound or per cup. In a way, pound for pound, you get "better mileage" with tea than you do with coffee.

How much caffeine in a cup of tea versus coffee?
    It depends on how much tea you use and how long you brew or steep the tea. The following table will serve as a guide. Keep in mind that these numbers are typical and will vary with quantities of water and tea. In North America, we like big mugs of everything, while in Europe, the portions are often smaller. This table gives estimates for both a 6 and 8 ounce cups.

6 ounce cup (Milligrams of caffeine) 8 ounce cup (Milligrams of caffeine)
    Coffee 75 100
    Black Tea 30 40
    Green Tea 30 40
    Decaf Tea 3 4
    Herbal Tea 0 0

I always drank coffee as a child in preference to tea. When I was young most babies in Ireland had milky tea in their bottles when they were growing out the purely milk stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

I can't remember not drinking tea or coffee as a kid. I was a rather tense child though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Caffine is a drug so is tannine and they should be respected.
    They both have clear effects on an adult never mind a child.
    Neither of mine drink tea or coffee they have been allowed a taste but that is about it.
    If they want a hot drink on a cold day they get blackcurrent or orange squash made with hot water or fruit tea well watered down.

I wasn't allowed drink coffee until I was 16 and I am greatful for it considering that I can be a caffine junkie ( but at least I am aware of it :) ) and I prolly would have been worse if I started younger.

• I've been drinking tea all my life, and coffee since I was about 8. My parents never really realised how bad it is for kids. They had me making coffee for them when I was 8 or 9 and I'd make myself some as well. Ironic really because they were always really strict about junk food, sweets and everything else. I remember the neighbour's kid boasting about how she was allowed to drink 'milky coffee' and me thinking she was a big baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

My daughter , who has just turned three , loves coffee . Not milky , she just waits until i have made my ( strong ) coffee and if i am lucky i will get a few mouthfuls before she has it gone ! She isnt affected by it in any visible way - chocolate and coca-cola make her demented - she just likes it . I am surprised by the number of posts in this thread declaring horror that kids might be allowed to drink even milky tea or coffee . Every child is different and what is okay with some kids would lead other kids to wreak havoc ! It's just something parents have to find their own way around .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭scrattletrap

I can count on one hand how many times my 9 & 7 year olds have had tea, and that has been when they were with their grandmothers (and these they never finished). I have never given them tea and would not give them coffee. But I don't drink either myself, use to drink lots of coffee but I also use to get terrible migraines (a link I think so)
    Saying that I know lots of children who have tea everyday, and ones that even had tea in their bottle, I can't understand the logic, caffeine is addictive, you wouldn't give nicotine to your children.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/nutrition_fit/nutrition/caffeine.html

Most parents wouldn't dream of giving their kids a toasty cup of coffee, but they may routinely serve soft drinks containing caffeine. Although it's likely that your child will ingest caffeine at some time, it's a good idea to keep caffeine consumption to a minimum, especially in younger children.

Although the United States hasn't yet developed guidelines for caffeine intake and kids, Canadian guidelines recommend that preschool children get no more than 45 milligrams of caffeine a day. That's equivalent to the average amount of caffeine found in a 12-ounce (355-milliliter) can of soda or four 1.5-ounce (43-gram) milk chocolate bars.

What's Caffeine and How Does It Affect Kids?

A stimulant that affects children and adults similarly, caffeine is a drug that's naturally produced in the leaves and seeds of many plants. Caffeine is also made artificially and added to certain foods. Caffeine is defined as a drug because it stimulates the central nervous system. At lower levels, caffeine can make people feel more alert and like they have more energy.

In both kids and adults, too much caffeine can cause:

* jitteriness and nervousness
    * upset stomach
    * headaches
    * difficulty concentrating
    * difficulty sleeping
    * increased heart rate
    * increased blood pressure

Especially in young children, it doesn't take a lot of caffeine to produce these effects.

Other reasons to limit kids' caffeine consumption include:

* Consuming one 12-ounce (355-milliliter) sweetened soft drink per day increases a child's risk of obesity by 60%.
    * Not only do caffeinated beverages contain empty calories (calories that don't provide any nutrients), but kids who fill up on them don't get the vitamins and minerals they need from healthy sources, putting them at risk for developing nutritional deficiencies. In particular, children who drink too much soda (which usually starts between the third and eighth grades) may miss getting the calcium they need from milk to build strong bones and teeth.
    * Drinking too many sweetened caffeinated drinks could lead to dental cavities (or caries) from the high sugar content and the erosion of the enamel of the teeth from the acidity. Not convinced that sodas can wreak that much havoc on kids' teeth? Consider this: One 12-ounce (355-milliliter) nondiet, carbonated soft drink contains the equivalent of 10 teaspoons of sugar (49 milliliters) and 150 calories.
    * Caffeine is a diuretic that causes the body to eliminate water (through urinating), which may contribute to dehydration. Caffeine may be an especially poor choice in hot weather, when children need to replace water lost through perspiration.
    * Abruptly stopping caffeine may cause withdrawal symptoms (headaches, muscle aches, temporary depression, and irritability), especially for those who are used to consuming a lot.
    * Caffeine can aggravate heart problems or nervous disorders, and some children may not be aware that they're at risk.

One thing that caffeine doesn't do is stunt growth. Although scientists once worried that caffeine could hinder a child's growth, this concern isn't supported by research.
    Which Foods and Beverages Contain Caffeine?

Although kids get most of their caffeine from sodas, it's also found in coffee, tea, chocolate, coffee ice cream or frozen yogurt, as well as pain relievers and other over-the-counter medicines. Some parents may give their children iced tea in place of soda, thinking that it's a better alternative. But iced tea can contain as much sugar and caffeine as soda.

Here's how some sources of caffeine compare:

Item Amount of Item Amount of Caffeine

Jolt soft drink 12 ounces 71.2 mg
    Mountain Dew 12 ounces 55.0 mg
    Coca-Cola 12 ounces 34.0 mg
    Diet Coke 12 ounces 45.0 mg
    Pepsi 12 ounces 38.0 mg
    7-Up 12 ounces 0 mg
    brewed coffee (drip method) 5 ounces 115 mg*
    iced tea 12 ounces 70 mg*
    dark chocolate 1 ounce 20 mg*
    milk chocolate 1 ounce 6 mg*
    cocoa beverage 5 ounces 4 mg*
    chocolate milk beverage 8 ounces 5 mg*
    cold relief medication 1 tablet 30 mg*

* denotes average amount of caffeine
    Source: U.S. Food and Drug Administration and National Soft Drink Association
    What's Caffeine Sensitivity?

Caffeine sensitivity refers to the amount of caffeine that will produce an effect in someone. This amount varies from person to person. On average, the smaller the person, the less caffeine necessary to produce side effects. However, caffeine sensitivity is most affected by the amount of daily caffeine use. People who regularly drink beverages containing caffeine soon develop a reduced sensitivity to caffeine. This means they require higher doses of caffeine to achieve the same effects as someone who doesn't drink caffeinated drinks every day. So, the more caffeine your child takes in, the more caffeine he or she will need to feel the same effects.

In addition to being more susceptible to the effects of caffeine based on size, small children are more sensitive to caffeine because they haven't been exposed to it as much as older children or adults. Caffeine moves through the body within a few hours after it's consumed and is then passed through the urine. It's not stored in the body, but your child may feel its effects for up to 6 hours if he or she is sensitive to it.
    Cutting Caffeine Out of the Equation

Can you help your child conquer caffeine? Absolutely! The best way to cut caffeine (and added sugar) from your child's diet is to eliminate soda. Instead, offer water, milk, flavored seltzer, and 100% fruit juice. For added convenience, give your child water in squeeze bottles to carry around. Of course, you can still serve the occasional soda or tea - just make it caffeine free. And be on the lookout for hidden caffeine by checking the ingredient list on foods and beverages.

For older kids or teens who may be getting more caffeine than they should, it's important to watch their caffeine consumption. If your teen has taken up a coffee-drinking habit, one cup a day can easily turn into several (as most adults know), especially if your teen is using coffee to stay awake during late-night study sessions.

The best way to reduce your child's caffeine intake is to cut back slowly. Otherwise, he or she could get headaches and feel achy, depressed, or just downright lousy. Try cutting your child's caffeine consumption by substituting noncaffeinated drinks for caffeinated sodas and coffee (water, caffeine-free sodas, and caffeine-free teas). Keep track of how many caffeinated drinks your child has each day, and substitute one drink per week with a caffeine-free alternative until he or she has gotten below the 100-milligram mark.

As you're cutting back the caffeine, your child may feel tired. The best bet is for your child to hit the sack, not the sodas: It's just your child's body's way of saying that more rest is necessary. Don't worry - your child's energy levels will return to normal in a few days.

And feel free to let your child indulge in a sliver of chocolate cake at birthday parties or a cup of tasty hot cocoa on a cold day - these choices don't pack enough caffeine punch to be harmful. As with everything, moderation is the key to keeping your kid's caffeine consumption under control.

Reviewed by: Mary L. Gavin, MD
    Date reviewed: January 2005

more links

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/babies-kids/caffeinated-kids-703/overview/index.htm
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A622414
    http://www.freshcoffee.com/html/caffine_faq.html
    http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s631804.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

"Yahoo! Health points out, it's generally a bad idea to give kids caffeine. It can interfere with sleep habits, exacerbate hyperactivity, and contribute to dehydration. Caffeine is a diuretic, which means it causes the body to eliminate water."

Dehydration in children is a very serious issue, specially if they dont drink much water while in school.
    Caffeine in both tea and coffee is potentially harmfull to children.
    And thats not all.....

"Theobromine and theophylline are two dimethylxanthines that have two rather than three methyl groups. Theobromine is considerably weaker than caffeine and theophylline, having about one tenth the stimulating effect of either.

Theobromine is found in cocoa products, tea , and kola nuts, but is not found in coffee. In cocoa, its concentration is generally about 7 times as great as caffeine. Although, caffeine is relatively scarce in cocoa, its mainly because of theobromine that cocoa is "stimulating".

Theophylline is found in tea, albiet a smaller amount, but has a stronger effect on the heart and breathing than the same amount of caffeine. For this reason it is often the drug of choice in home remedies for treating asthma bronchitis and emphysema. The theophylline found in medicine is made from extracts from coffee or tea."

So, both tea and coffee can potentially cause respiratory problems in children later on, or can make existing ones worse.

b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

My son drinks very milky tea if he's not feeling well, but otherwise he only drinks milk, water or juice. My daughter drinks water only!
    My brother, however, used to finish off mum's cups of coffee and drank coffee regularly from 3 years of age. Funnily enough, he was a very calm child (a lot calmer than my 2 kids!) and slept right through the night, and he's now 29 and in the best of health so it didn't do him any harm. Still, I find it horrifying and wouldn't like my kids to be drinking it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭darkflower

i've seen a lot of kids drinking coffee, perhaps due to their eagerness to try just anything. in third world countries, due to poverty. it shocks me but they need to satisfy that hunger in whatever way they could. i'm pretty sure their parents wouldn't want to give them cofee to drink but then they've no choice.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭greenkittie

My parents only started letting me drink coffee with them when i was 19 :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭scubagit

Sounds like the parent must really value the childs vonversational skills at 3am. Not a snowballs chance of my 2 getting near coffee. General rule of thimb, If it souds like a bad idea, it probably is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I can't ever remember not being allowed to have tea or coffee, but likewise I can't remember ever wanting to have it. I'm 21 and even now I don't drink tea or coffee except on a very rare occasion. I don't even drink a lot of fruit teas.

However I babysit kids who have a cup of tea before bed. The younger has had tea in his bottle at bedtime since he was 2 or even younger, I assume the elder was the same, I just didn't babysit him at that stage. My cousins were the same when we were small, yet I can't remember the story with my siblings or me at all.

I suppose it depends on how you were raised yourself. My mother drinks hot water with a drop of tea in it, my dad drinks half tea, half soya milk (or dairy if he has to). Recently they've even stopped using tea, favouring boiled water on its own (or in Dad's case, with soya). Both are generally considered weird, but neither I nor my siblings really drink tea or coffee.

Although, that said, new studies have shown that 5 or more cups of tea a day have a hydrating effect on humans, according to one of my housemates. Don't know much about that, but it's worth checking out before the blanket condemnation continues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭MyBaby

I have a 13month ol, given him milky tea twice, he kinda liked it, wasnt pushed on it though. Rathers his milk or water/juice.

Would never dream of giving him coffee. I drink coffee all the time but wouldnt give him a taste of it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I'm shocked that any right minded parent would give such a stimulant to a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

I think it's interesting how many people have said they'd give their child tea but are appalled by the idea of giving them coffee.

I think there's enough scientific evidence that neither are particuarly good for a child (or adult for that reason, but that's another story :o ) Both have some (albeit various amounts of) caffeine...both are acidic, both can be moderately addictive.

So why is there a stronger resistance to coffee?

And another point that has been mentioned but deserves another look...a lot of kids are given soda, which can't be any better for children than tea or coffee. So why is it ok to have an occasional soda but not an occassional tea/coffee?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭scrattletrap

I have never given my children fizzy drinks either, the rare times they have had them have been at other people's houses and even then they didn't drink much as they hate the bubbles in their noses.

So my boys - no tea, coffee, fizzy drinks - they do drink plenty of water (which is what they ask for when out), milk and fruit juices.

The thing is I don't drink tea, coffee or fizzy drinks either so it isn't a big deal that they don't have them as they are rarely in the house (I have an small box of tea bags and jar of coffee for guests)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭sonic juice

fizzy drinks are a definite no no

Advertisement