Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

In a bit of a pickle

• 12-09-2006 12:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

I've got a Windows 2000 pro PC here at the mo, that was giving an inaccessible boot device, so before I do anything I want to get the files from the C:\Documents and Settings folder.

So, went in to the repair console, logged onto the Windows installation with the administrator password, which it accepts, but when I cd into Docs and Settings, I am still getting access denied.

Any ideas where I can take it from here? I'm downloading Knoppix live CD as we speak, just in case.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

Are you able to take the drive out of the PC and put it into another one as a secondary drive? that might allow you into protected folders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I was just about to do that when I found this.

Basically restored the registry file from an older version, booted into Windows (though Explorer/Desktop wouldn't start for some reason). Anyway, got a command prompt and copied the files to the network. Phew!

Now to re-install Windows 2000. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

tom dunne wrote:
    Now to re-install Windows 2000. :mad:
    Ah yes... sooooo tedious. I had a master plan once of taking an image of each PC I had to reinstall Windows on just in case it came back for repair again. that went out the window after the 3rd one I did. :rolleyes:

Advertisement