Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jol's homework?

Options
  • 12-09-2006 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

Not a Spurs fan myself, but I was reading Mediawatch this morning and I'd be slightly concerned if my manager came out with a quote like this. Thought it might be of interest to someone here. Maybe someone can tell me he was misquoted, or something!

"We can't underestimate them. In the last three years in the UEFA Cup they have reached a semi-final, a quarter-final and the last 16."

"Czech football is strong, Slavia Prague are strong. They have also played in the Champions League so, hopefully, we are good enough to go through to the next stage.

"We are looking forward to it and have been preparing for weeks. We have done all our work, we have been to Prague to see Slavia play. We have studied them and are trying to get the right information for the players because we know it is a very important match for us.

Slavia have not progressed beyond the fourth round of the UEFA Cup more than once in the past 15 years. Sparta Prague, on the other hand, have fared rather better...

In terms of the Champions League, Slavia have been in the 3rd qualifying round 5 times, and lost each time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Not sure of the circumstances, the London Evening Standard don't hae their own website, I'd like to see it someplace else other than Football 365. Worrying if its true, ENIC own a chunk of Slavia, you'd imagine someone would be on the ball re. their history...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

On the face of it thats very poor from Jol, but a little digging reveals more.

Sparta Prague's last three campaigns in Europe (all CL):

2003/04 2nd round to Milan
    2004/05 Group stage (last in group)
    2005/05 Group stage (last in group)

Their last appearance in the UEFA Cup was 2002/03, when they went out in the 2nd round to Turkish side Denizlispor. Either Martin Jol's completely befuddled or someone is being creative with the truth...

For the record, a more widely available report on Jol's comments re. Slavia reads:
    Tottenham's coaching duo Martin Jol and Chris Hughton have issued an early warning over the strength of their UEFA Cup first round opponents Slavia Prague.

Both men travelled to Prague last weekend to watch their opponents beat bottom side Sigma Olomouc 3-0 in preparation for their first leg game in the Czech capital in 10 days.

The victory was Slavia's third of the season in five games and although they lost the other two games, Jol and Hughton are preparing their squad for a difficult European encounter.

Jol said: "Czech football is at a high level and the national team is probably as good as the England team. It will be tough but I'm positive.

"They play in a 4-4-2 (formation), they have good strikers, one is on the fringe of the national team and the other scored a couple of goals and is a very good header of the ball.

"They have a good left winger, the captain in midfield is experienced and at the back Martin Latka who was at Birmingham last season, he looked comfortable on the ball. In short, they have a decent side who play for each other."

Hughton added: "They looked reasonably comfortable. They had quality across midfield and in offensive areas and didn't move too much away from that 4-4-2 system.

"They are all accomplished players on the ball and you get the feeling that they are a side good enough to raise their game on the big occasions.

"They also have experience of playing in European competition on a regular basis. We will look at them again before we play them and it won't be an easy game, that's for sure."

Thats an agency report, I've seen it on a number of sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Well I'm stumped! As you say, he was either completely befuddled or someone is telling fibs!

Seems Martin's been getting extra tuition...
    “They are dangerous,” said Martin. “We came to Prague two weeks ago, they won 3-0 and are always very strong at home. It will be a packed stadium and they will get right behind their team.

“They have players up front who are very quick and want to hit you on the break. They are very good with set-pieces, free-kicks, corners and have a lot of height. There is a lot of spirit in that team.

“If you go to the Czech Republic and play Sparta, Slavia or Liberec, they always seem to do well in Europe.

“Slavia got into the group stages last season and were second in that group and progressed to the knockout stages, where they lost to Palermo.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/articles/jolreadyfortest140906.html

;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement