Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self employed or Sole trader

Options
  • 12-09-2006 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

The time has come that my business is finally generating enough cash to support myself full time so ive given up my job.

Basically i refurbish laptops and resell them.

So...its about time i get it all setup correctly before things snowball any further.

Turnover was around 5-7k a month and this month should see us growing to a turnover of 10k a month with it hopefully growing as we approach Christmas.

Do i need to go self employed or do i go for a sole trader.

Another question is that i dont wish to register for VAT as i sell to the public so am i able to setup another company basically doing the same thing to avoid the vat registration as it will really effect profit margins.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Paddymcc wrote:
    Do i need to go self employed or do i go for a sole trader.

Another question is that i dont wish to register for VAT as i sell to the public so am i able to setup another company basically doing the same thing to avoid the vat registration as it will really effect profit margins.

Self Employed or Sole Trader - Whats the difference.

Setting up as sole trader is not the same as setting up a company. Sole Trader is self employed.

If your sales per year is likely to reach 51k and over then you must register for Vat. You dont have to set up a company to register for Vat. Need to check the threshold though but its about 51k a year.

Sounds like a good business alright you should make a killing with students going to Uni.

Advertisement