Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Torso clothing advice sought

Options
  • 12-09-2006 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭

I'd like some advice on (torso) clothing. I want to assemble something for my exercise rides that can be used from Irish summer temperatures down to about freezing (I chicken out below freezing and/or when it rains).

The general advice seems to be "layering", which suits me as that also seems to be the most cost effective solution. So I've decided to look for a long sleeved (to prevent my arms from getting sun burned) summer jersey and then use base layers to wear underneath the jersey when it gets colder.

My question is how many base layers am I likely to need given the indicated temperature range? I've noticed that base layers are pretty expensive, I don't want to buy more than I need.

One guy in a local bikeshop wasn't sure on what to advice to wear underneat a summer jersey, he said that ordinary cotton shirts would work fine also, is this true?

Lastly, anyone know where to get a good price on decent quality base layers? I saw some online for £25 a piece which seemed a bit steep to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I'm not sure about cotton, when it get's wet (rain or sweat) it tends to stay wet.

In the winter it helps to have a windshield layer. Sometimes the wind can be quite icey and will cut right through you.

I have a range of jerseys from a few summer ones to a few heavier winter ones.
    My main winter one was a present and I think it cost over 100 quid (cannondale). It's brilliant. When it's extra cold I wear a couple of base layers (Helly Hansen, Lowe Apline etc) and I am fine

For base layers, get some helly hansen from www.chainreactioncycles.com

I sometimes wear them under my summer jerseys

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Agreed with KR above about most of it, except I am sure about the cotton - under no circumstances should you wear it :)

Advertisement