Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on how to felt a roof please

Options
  • 12-09-2006 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hello

I have a shed in the back garden that is made of blocks and the roof is made of concrete. The shed is about 10 foot by 6.

There is an old layer of roof felt but it is very frayed and has holes and bubbles in it.

Each winter since we moved in it has leaked more and more and so after five years of emptying buckets from the shed I think its about time I did something about it.

So I went and bought a roll of roof felt and now realise that I have no clue how to put it on the roof. :D

Should I remove the old stuff first or put the new on top of it, and also, how do you stick it onto the roof?

Any advice would be great thanks...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

u cant use it, u need torch on felt and ythat is not a DIY job by any standard

What I would is clean off all the loose material and get a product called RoofTech - call Tony on 087 2526779 they are based in Balbriggan 01 841 4933/01 475 8811 / fax 01 475 8812 but can arrange to have it available down town if need be

It goes on with a brush and works a treat, the roof needs to be dry when doing it. U dont need to clear off all the old felt, just the loose stuff,

You may need two coats. It is an awesome product.

the brush is used once only

pm me if any issues

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭beldin

Sorry but why would you need a torch for roofing a shed? The felt is merely nailed on with felt nails. The felt would be put on lengthwise on the shed starting at the bottom of the roof and working towards the top with the top section spread over both sides at the top of the shed.
    Then the edges at both ends would be nailed in tidying up the edges. A board would then be placed on the gable ends to hold everything in place.
    I would say it would be best to remove the old felt and start from scratch..

Beldin:
    Hello

and the roof is made of concrete. ...

• Registered Users Posts: 46,132 ✭✭✭✭muffler

beldin wrote:
    The felt is merely nailed on with felt nails.
    To concrete? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 FiveDayWeekend

Howya folks, thanks for the info. Dont be too hard on beldin, he is only trying to help :D

ircoha thanks for the tip, i'll give them a call

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭beldin

Apologies , just saw the words shed and back garden...

Howya folks, thanks for the info. Dont be too hard on beldin, he is only trying to help :D

ircoha thanks for the tip, i'll give them a call

Glad to help, we were not being hard on poor beldin, if we were we might have suggested he RTFP:)

RTFP :D:D LOL just figured it out, very good.

Anyway the RoofTech is a bit pricy - Tony reckoned I need 10 kilos to cover that area. i was quoted €96 - ugh. The shed's not that precious to me, but the idea of a sealant (I'm picking up the lingo ;) ) is the right track. I'm gonna check out a couple of the local hardware shops for something similar.

Hello

I have a shed in the back garden that is made of blocks and the roof is made of concrete. The shed is about 10 foot by 6.

There is an old layer of roof felt but it is very frayed and has holes and bubbles in it.

Each winter since we moved in it has leaked more and more and so after five years of emptying buckets i was quoted €96 from the shed I think its about time I did something about it.

So I went and bought a roll of roof felt and now realise that I have no clue how to put it on the roof. :D

Should I remove the old stuff first or put the new on top of it, and also, how do you stick it onto the roof?

Any advice would be great thanks...
    IMHO, the Rooftech product is "apply and forget"
    Have fun in the hardware stores, like the song says, there are pretenders to thrones, but only one king.

like the song says, there are pretenders to thrones, but only one king

I dont know the song, but the lyrics are good.

I did look around the hardware shops, but it was no fun.

The stuff they sell there all seemed to work out at around €50 so I will take your good advice ircoha, thanks very much, and go for the rooftech.

all the best

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 jmm

Just wondering how that Rooftech stuff faired out, is it just a sealant etc?

Winds just taken off a chunk of the felt roof from the shed (flat roof with plywood sheeting) so I'm looking at options other then spending tomorrow up there with a torch and a bucket of tar.

Advertisement