Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tefl

Options
  • 12-09-2006 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

hi, not sure if i should be here or in Edu>Teaching & Leacturing :confused:
    but anyway hopefully someone will be able to help me. I'm interested in doing a TEFL course but don't want to travel abroad to work. I heard last week on the Last Word about the numbers of non-irish people coming into Ireland with no or limited English so thats why i'm thinking of doing this course to try teach in irish schools to non-english speaking children.
    Can anyone share their experience if they have done these courses and if or not you are working or found it easy or hard to find work in our schools.
    Many thanks for any advice or help,
    Libby

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ultanmac

Hi I've been thinking of doing a tefl course as well and I've researched it a little bit. The most confusing part of it is that there are so many different courses to choose from, so it's hard to know which ones are good! One thing that I did find out though, is that if you want to teach tefl in Ireland then you absolutely need to do the course that's approved by the Dept. of Education. I think it's fairly intensive, but I'm sure it's worthwhile. I hope to teach abroad but it'd be nice to have the option of using the qualification to work here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Ultanmac, Do you have a link to the Dpet. of Ed course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ultanmac

The only link that I can give you is a list of institutions that provide the recognised courses, here. I dont think i-to-i or any of the online courses are recognised by the Dept. of Education. Sorry I can't be of more help! (I'm still figuring it out myself):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bargainhead

i-to-i isnt covered by the Dept. of Education. The ACELS course is very intensive but you build up a portfolio and teaching hours with it, which is really important in getting a job with it. Some schools give you recognition by MEI-RELSA, but not all.

Advertisement