Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

700 Million Expansion Ya or Na?

Options
  • 12-09-2006 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭

I just heard on the radio there dpoing a 700 mil expansion in the city centre
    this is a load of crap every single person on boards could name 25 better things to spend the money on.

With the ammount of assualts taking place in city centre shouldnt they put 700 million euro into anti crime mesures?

Do You Agree With the 700 Million city centre expansion? 24 votes

Ya
    0% 0 votes
    Na
    100% 24 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

sounds good to me. nice to see theyre making an effort to help dublin catch up with the rest of the world

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Expansion? Are you sure that's the right word.

I'm not sure I understand what you are talking about.

*edit* i just checked breakingnews.ie

Arnotts (the privately owned company) are looking for a development partner for their proposed "Nothern Quarter" - consiting of Hotel, Apartments, Shops etc.

User45701 - I'd hardly expect Arnotts to put up the money for Anti-Crime Measures.

Also you should be more specific when you say "they're" (or "there" for that matter).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

User45701 wrote:
    With the ammount of assualts taking place in city centre shouldnt they put 700 million euro into anti crime mesures?

€700million in anti-crime measures would just create a police state, and even then, criminals would still roam.

i'm all for an expansion on the city. the work done to o'connell st. makes it look fantastic IMO. granted those statues are a bit weird, they look nice on a sunny day.

maybe €700million could be put into building a modern, useful airport that can take the load Dublin airport needs?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

From BreakingNews.ie
    Arnotts planning €700m 'Northern Quarter' revamp in Dublin

Arnotts is on the look-out for a development partner to work on a revamped 'Northern Quarter' in Dublin city centre.

If it gets the go-ahead, the mix of residential, retail, leisure and hotel developments will be bounded by Henry Street, O'Connell Street, Abbey Street and Liffey Street. The area would have 47 new shops, 17 new cafes, restaurants and bars, 189 apartments and a 152-bed, four-star hotel.

The Northern Quarter Development Proposal represents a €700m investment. Arnotts is now submitting its proposal for planning permission to Dublin City Council.

"As part of the development plan, Arnotts intends to bring on board a strategic partner with the appropriate expertise to develop the Northern Quarter. A competitive process will commence immediately to select a strategic partner," Arnotts said today.

I say bring it. Dublin really needs regeneration and general castration of scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

How many ED-209's would €700 million put on the streets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Actually, the only way that money could be better spent is on research into creating an affordable hoverboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

User45701 wrote:

I didn't think Arnotts was in the business of crimefighting.

This project was flagged ages ago. They've been accumulating the necessary property for a while, including the old Independent offices. I think it's an excellent project for the city centre. Obviously dependent on the final design & layout, but I'd have more faith in Arnotts than in most commercial enterprises to do a good job. Their last upgrade of their main store was a mostly excellent piece of work. Although turning the old cinema into a carpark entrance wasn't the best element of it :(

I just hope there's some imaginitive architecture involved. No more Lego buildings please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Living in the general area, I have to say I'm all for it. I wonder if it's anything to do with this which I also think is a good idea.

That part of Dublin needs a good going over. I think Henry Street and O'Connell Street look great now, and would like to see the rest of the area follow suit.

If only something could be done about Dr Quirkeys...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

If only something could be done about Dr Quirkeys...
    I did some research and it turns out he's not even a real doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Yeah! How can a gynaecologist call himself a "Doctor”...? He's just a pervert!

OP, If they decide to put an English language school in this quarter, I don't see what you could be complaining about...although it is difficult to understand what point you are putting across most of the time..

I presumed from your post this was €700m of tax payers money, which it isn't, and after reading about it, I really like the idea and think it's perfect for redeveloping that area of the city...It's really gone to the dogs over the last 30 or so years, despite recent efforts to rejuvenate it some what..with ok results.

I wouldn't bat an eyelid if the government were to throw a few million at this...after all it is a social development issue also...

Fair play, hope it goes ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Yeah i thought this was a great idea too, would be nice to see some regeneration on the northside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭Archeron

How many ED-209's would €700 million put on the streets?

Four. Or five if you go for the ones with the lower class of laser weapons.

This project looks fantastic. The artists impressions look very impressive and its a much needed boost for this part of the city. Fair play Arnotts for showing a bit of foresight and for actually giving a damn about the city you're in, as opposed to just upping and relocating entirely to a faceless shopping centre in the suburbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

User45701 wrote:
    I just heard on the radio there dpoing a 700 mil expansion in the city centre
    this is a load of crap every single person on boards could name 25 better things to spend the money on.

Time and time again we have the "Shouldn't they put that money into X instead?" argument.

First of all, a lot of this is private not public money. Even if it is all public money, it is allocated to different departments, so if it is not spent on one thing, it will be spent on something in a similar project. We had this over the Spire. People were saying it should have been spent on health or education etc. It could not have been. It would have been spent on another similar project. It was not taken from the health budget. Each department is given money to spend. If that was the case, we would take all the money we have and put it into health, as that is most needed.

Health gets money, Education gets money and so does every department. If the department of education does not spend that money on one project, it will not be given to health, but be spent on another education project. Museums are not as important as hospitals, but money goes into the Arts. It has its allocation and it is entitled to spend it. It may be badly spent, but whatever way it is spent, it will be spent within the Arts. So when we see a waste of money by some department or other, and we often do, that money is not being taken from Health or Justice or Education or whatever.

Advertisement