Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am i goin bald ?

• 12-09-2006 3:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi am a regular poster on boards. Ok there have been so many posts out there about this but i was looking to get more answers on the subject. Over the last six years i have been very upset about my hair, i keep fearing that im losing it, it started though probably my friends teasing me when i was younger, they noticed my dad was a baldy and so wanted to highlight the subject on me. I just joked it off never letting them know that it affected me, but secretly i do obsess about it, to be honest i am not bald know, i am 21 and still fear that my front hairline is only marginally receading, and id only say around my temples. The question is, is there someone (neutral party) that can test when you may go bald or just give an honest opinion on the subject. I feel too embarrassed to go because my parents and sisters think im mad going with what they think is a full head of hair. Maybe they are right it has been six years of constand paranoia. Please give me your opinion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭cork-langer

i'm reseeding big time dude so ive been cutting my hair shorter and shorter.
    I have no problems losing it from the front, in fact ive been told that its quite sexy!
    Ill start worrying when i'm losing it from the scalp!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I have thin hair... i will pobably go bald... does not bother me.. when/if it starts to go.. i will shave it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Logging out for this reply :D

My hair had been receeding for a few years - mainly at the front. I could sort of cope with that because it didn't bother me. Was only when I saw a photo of the back of me about 9 months ago that I noticed I was thinning badly at the back. Was slightly pissed off to say the least. Was even more pissed off by people who just kept telling me to shave my head - I always had a tight haircut, but I don't like my head shaved, so wanted to avoid it.

Anyhow, decided to try something about it - started using Rogaine. I know it doesn't work for a lot of people, but the hair at the back of my head has completely regrown, the front is beginning to improve - not as big an improvement as the back though.

Worth a try if it bothers you - you're stuck using it for life though.

so you the feeling i get from peoples posts is that im in denial and should maybe do something to prolong the matter ??

I know lots of guys whose hairline receded a little in their early 20's and then stopped after that. The fact that your father is bald doesn't mean much, my Dad was almost bald by my age but I have a full head of hair and he has a brother with a full head of hair too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Lurker56 wrote:
    I know lots of guys whose hairline receded a little in their early 20's and then stopped after that. The fact that your father is bald doesn't mean much, my Dad was almost bald by my age but I have a full head of hair and he has a brother with a full head of hair too.

Baldness comes from the mother's side I hear. So you need to look at your maternal grandfather to see how you may turn out?

Get a grip man. You're 21 and you fear that your hairline "MAY be marginally receeding"...for goodness sake, you're not even sure if it actually is!!

My advice for you is to just get out there and live life. It may be that to avoid REAL issues which a lot of young men of your age face, you're living in an imagenary world where your biggest fear is your possibly receeding hairline. Are there other aspects of your life you're not happy with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Mine receded fairly early so I just shaved it and that was it after much debating and it wasn't a great experience losing my long, flowing hair :). The next day, you would not believe the amount of compliments I received. I actually looked a lot healthier and felt better too, so imo I wouldn't put it off any longer if you are noticing it. Please don't try combing it over or covering it up. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Nothing to add, but to ask the OP has he considered a zero? As in, shave off the hair with a shaving blade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

I'm majorly going bald, I've a nice big "M" shape on my forehead. But I've shaved my head since I was about fifteen, hair isn't a thing for me. Try a wet shave once, see how it feels (it feels fantastic, your scalp is sooo sensitive, and you can feel all the breezes around your head) and if you like it, keep it going. I haven't paid for a haircut since my dog died and I inherited her animal groomer, six years ago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Catch_22

Baldness comes from the mother's side I hear. So you need to look at your maternal grandfather to see how you may turn out?

you mean your mothers brother , or perhaps even your maternal grandmothers brother as your maternal grandfather would have about as much to do with it as your father.

c22

well thats the thing, its ruining my life at the moment (i know being a bit too vein) and i appreciate all your posts, especially the guy who told me to get a grip. Ive never shaved my head, im a kinda skinny guy so dont know if it would work, but i think the best thing to do is to not think about it and get on with it.

I have no hair at all so really ur suitation is not that bad... and no, I dont have cancer I have a condition called alopecia areata. So in fairness I wouldnt worry about it TBH...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

dont know wrote:
    my dad was a baldy

chances are you will be bald. nothing wrong with that. i know a girl who likes bald men.

If U start to go bald - U could shave it all off, get a few tatoooooos, grow a few muscles. And de gurls will go mad 4 ya (de shaved head reminds them of 'de baldy lad') !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

dont know wrote:
    Hi am a regular poster on boards. Ok there have been so many posts out there about this but i was looking to get more answers on the subject. Over the last six years i have been very upset about my hair, i keep fearing that im losing it, it started though probably my friends teasing me when i was younger, they noticed my dad was a baldy and so wanted to highlight the subject on me. I just joked it off never letting them know that it affected me, but secretly i do obsess about it, to be honest i am not bald know, i am 21 and still fear that my front hairline is only marginally receading, and id only say around my temples. The question is, is there someone (neutral party) that can test when you may go bald or just give an honest opinion on the subject. I feel too embarrassed to go because my parents and sisters think im mad going with what they think is a full head of hair. Maybe they are right it has been six years of constand paranoia. Please give me your opinion

Google for "finasteride" and keep info, it works! ;)

Advertisement