Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WIT's christmas day

• 12-09-2006 4:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

Anyone know when WIT's christmas day is this year? thinking of organising a reunion for the same day. am i right in thinking its the wed of last week of lectures, making it 6th or so of dec?

dont know if this will get spotted here by many so if a mod thinks it will get answered quicker in after hours or something, please feel free to move to a relevant forum.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

That sounds pretty accurate, it's generally the last wednesday anyway. Hard to know for sure though until it's "decided" (by whoever). I know last year it was that day anyway (slightly different date of course)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

cheers, maybe we should decide right now, the 6th is christmas day!!! wonder who does decide these things???

just found out that the students union decides it. and on their website it was decided in november last year that it would be the 7th dec 2005 so following that schedule it will probably be the 6th this year

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I thought Christmas Day was over since your man who was killed / seriously injured by that trackter in Waterford city the last time? Could of sworn the college banned it o_O If not, id say they will probably argue again this time around

from what i heard it would be a bit of a knee jerk to someone(for want of a better description) full of beer deciding to play chicken with traffic. cant tar everyone with the same brush although it regularly happens.
    (if this wasnt the case i apologise in advance)
    i remember good few years back there was war in the dome, they said they would cancel it but it didnt stop everyone going the following year for a session anyway. doubt it will stop us enjoying ourselves, any reason for a wed off work for a session is a good one!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

from what i heard it would be a bit of a knee jerk to someone(for want of a better description) full of beer deciding to play chicken with traffic. cant tar everyone with the same brush although it regularly happens.
    (if this wasnt the case i apologise in advance)
    i remember good few years back there was war in the dome, they said they would cancel it but it didnt stop everyone going the following year for a session anyway. doubt it will stop us enjoying ourselves, any reason for a wed off work for a session is a good one!

Well in some parts of life, if people cant socilaise without causing damage to themselves or others -- drastic action has to be taken. It makes the college look bad, and I think the cops werent to happy either. Its a pitty that some people can spoil it on those who aint that bad.

unfortunately this happens with most things in life, there is always someone (whether purposely or not) that will mess it up for everyone else. i
    find it hard to see how they could 'cancel' it, the owner of the dome wouldnt be too happy to lose out on the revenue that day brings in and people will just go somewhere else if it was closed anyway.
    suppose the college would just not make it an official thing and oppose it publically but its not like u can lock the students in their classrooms.
    besides im sure there are as bad/worse things which happen any other student night down the city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭tickledpinkfair

I was a Student in WIT for four years and really in that time there was 1 or 2 OFFICIAL christmas days, actually thinking about it in my first year there was all kinds of things for christmas day, sumowrestling in thos costumes, a bull thing u ride on there were loads of activities, the point of Christmas day everyone seems to have forgotten it is a day to collect for charity and to have fun doing it, the reason Christmas day is now being cancelled or held unofficially is cos as students we went to far and just focused on the alcohol side. Sure the dome has bands playing every year but there was a lot more craic when there were other activities held around the college, and at the end of the day you still coul go out and werent in bed by ten from a days drinking!

I no I sound like Im preaching but there is truth in what I am saying.

Also the Dome use to open to serve drink at 10:30 in the morning, no way could they do that now cos students take it too far, i am not condeming students I am speaking from what I have seen over my years in WIT....for those of you wondering I have just graduated so Im not some old fogey, i drank and got locked with the best of ye on chirstmas days!!

But Christmas day is a hazard now, becaus of the amount of alcohol consumed accidents like that lad getting killed happen, every year theres another tragedy on Christmas day a few years back a girl was brutally raped on Christmas Day.

With all these things happening you cant really blame the powers that be cancelling Christmas day, but you can understand why. And it is a pity cos it was always a great day.

i was there also when they had the different activities going on in the sports hall. broke up the day as far as i was concerned. not that we didnt get plastered anyway but it meant that we had something to do for an half hour or so here and there over the course of the day, meaning we werent sitting in the dome all day drinking pint after pint.

i remember the last one i went to where i just went down to meet up with some people after i had graduated myself and it seemed like everyone had nothing to do. fellas (& girls) falling asleep, bumping off people causing arguments etc. i can see why they would cancel it in that case.

yeh it is a pity but maybe they'll do something bout it this year shoul have thought of this when i knew the student union president lol too late now, might drop down this year see what its like if im in that neck of the woods or even c if its being held this year, since they refurbished the dome i doubt they want it destroyed and left in a tip like it is the end of every xmas day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Also the Dome use to open to serve drink at 10:30 in the morning, no way could they do that now cos students take it too far.

So when does the Dome open these days? I remember they even used to do breakfast when I was there. Or are you only referring to when it opens on Christmas day?

oh its all changed now!

they have a whole carvery section not that little hole in the wall they use to have, they dont serve alcohol before 12:30 any day i think they still open at 10:30 for coffee and that but christmas day they definitly dont open at 10:30 tryin to stop all the drinking going on (well that was last yr)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

i wouldnt say they'd allow that kind of thing anymore, have you seen the new decor its fab open fire and all its really come up in the world, anyway witht the amount of bouncers there on christmas day ......well you can get kicked out for nothin lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 vetmedpg

I was in WIT for 4 years. The Christmas day is usually organised through the WITSU. Unfortunately, the last 2 years bunch were ****e (excuse the language, but really, they were awfully lazy and selfish). I can't imagine the new bunch are much better. Sorry for the bad news.

yeh the old green walls and red ceiling was the best alright, hated when they changed it to the canteen look, but they redid it last summer n it looks pretty good now, dark purple walls, leather (or faux leather lol) chairs , open fire th lot its real nice now...pity ive left lol

12 feckn 30!!!!! jesus i remember days we used be waiting outside to get in at 10.30. and the queues that were there on xmas day etc were mental!!!

have to say when i was back there a couple years ago i didnt like the decor then, like someone said it was just like the canteen. you couldnt beat the days of the auld hole in the wall

I was a Student in WIT for four years and really in that time there was 1 or 2 OFFICIAL christmas days, actually thinking about it in my first year there was all kinds of things for christmas day, sumowrestling in thos costumes, a bull thing u ride on there were loads of activities, the point of Christmas day everyone seems to have forgotten it is a day to collect for charity and to have fun doing it, the reason Christmas day is now being cancelled or held unofficially is cos as students we went to far and just focused on the alcohol side. Sure the dome has bands playing every year but there was a lot more craic when there were other activities held around the college, and at the end of the day you still coul go out and werent in bed by ten from a days drinking!

I no I sound like Im preaching but there is truth in what I am saying.

Also the Dome use to open to serve drink at 10:30 in the morning, no way could they do that now cos students take it too far, i am not condeming students I am speaking from what I have seen over my years in WIT....for those of you wondering I have just graduated so Im not some old fogey, i drank and got locked with the best of ye on chirstmas days!!

But Christmas day is a hazard now, becaus of the amount of alcohol consumed accidents like that lad getting killed happen, every year theres another tragedy on Christmas day a few years back a girl was brutally raped on Christmas Day.

With all these things happening you cant really blame the powers that be cancelling Christmas day, but you can understand why. And it is a pity cos it was always a great day.

Excellent post. Exactly how I see it. The same was said for that rag wearing day (name I cant recall) -- its just another excuse to get hammered! No events to break it down anymore..

oh its all changed now!

they have a whole carvery section not that little hole in the wall they use to have, they dont serve alcohol before 12:30 any day i think they still open at 10:30 for coffee and that but christmas day they definitly dont open at 10:30 tryin to stop all the drinking going on (well that was last yr)

They open between 10.30 - 11.00. My friend went in (under 18 - they dont seem to ask for ID) and got served a small bottle of bulmers about 11sh, while his class mates got pints of bulmers, bottles and a bottle of smirnoff ice. No bother to the college at all.

• Advertisement

oh they must have changed it again then, with regards the ID thing they are actually ment to ask as well as asking for your WIT card, technicaly your not allowed in there unless you have you WIT card, but what can I say the standards have dropped over the years

they told us that when we were freshers as well, guess it was a way for us to pay a few bob for a card that was never used. suppose they would only envoke that rule if you were being a nuisance and they suspected you werent a student, it would be an easy excuse to refuse to serve you or get you to leave.

oh no that money we paid that was such a scam was it a euro or pound you paid on clubs n societies day to be a member of the dome.....such suckers but i think every first year falls for it, i wonder do they still do that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭p~b

oh no that money we paid that was such a scam was it a euro or pound you paid on clubs n societies day to be a member of the dome.....such suckers but i think every first year falls for it, i wonder do they still do that

ye they still do it, but they charge 3 euro now

pure scam well i suppose they have to finance the staff christmas bonus with something :rolleyes:

Advertisement