Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can't Dance! :(

• 12-09-2006 5:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I know you guys mightnt think that this is a big deal to put in the personal issues board well maybe it isnt. But I can't dance for my life and I'm really scared of looking like a big eejit tomorrow going to a junior cert night disco. Whats worse is I'm a girl and girls are supposed to be able to dance and look sexy at it! Please can anyone give me tips I have no time for lessons. (Though I am doing ballroom dancing at the mo but that has nothing to do with the type of dance needed for discos).

:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

My first time in a disco - I couldn't dance to save my life but dance is basically practice and dancing to music you like is easy.
    Best advice since you're not too hot at the moment might be to keep it subtle - no grand gestures across the dance floor - nobody will really notice anyway.
    Best thing is to spot some other girl dancing well and copy what she's doing in a way, then check out someone else and pick up on what they're doing (don't make it look like you're taking the p*ss). Relax just don't attempt anything saturday night feverish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Well I'm a guy and I wouldn't take it too seriously, as mentioned if you are worried about it copy some other people and just try not to be too conscious of yourself. Everyone is out to have a good time (normally) and thats all there is too it. :) If you asked anyone else I can bet they will tell you they haven't a clue how to dance either. Good luck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Most people are poor to average dancers. Watch others and fake it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

anytime i'm on a dancefloor, or looking at one... only one thing becomes clear: no one can dance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

get drunk. Always works for me. I'm a great dancer when drunk... YES I AM!!

edit - Drink alcohol free beer of course tho, being a junior certer n all;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

the best tip I was ever given was on the European tour when I was in TY: no-one cares what anyone else is doing, they are all concentrating too hard on looking like an eejit, so do the same, because no-one is going to care

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Strokesfan wrote:
    Best thing is to spot some other girl dancing well and copy what she's doing in a way, then check out someone else and pick up on what they're doing (don't make it look like you're taking the p*ss). Relax just don't attempt anything saturday night feverish.

Best advice of the subject. Just pick up some small moves from different people, try putting them together and see what comes out of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Just go out and have fun on the floor and casually observe how others are doing it or do what I do and dance like an epileptic at a rave.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

i wouldn't worry about it, over half the people in those disco's (when i used to go) couldn't dance..... and neither could i. enjoy the disco, there'll be a worse dancer than you there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Dub_Ster

i can do the moon walk :cool: .....

but serously dont worry about it just watch what they do on , mtv .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

As they say, dance like nobody's watching. No matter how bad a dancer you are, as long as you look confident doing it, it's all good. Just don't take it seriously, there's nothing worse than someone going at it music video style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Watch, repeat and learn...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxT0PTgQiL8

You'll be the queen of the dancefloor.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Muzzy

Just do what I always do, "Big Fish......Little Fish......Cardboard Box"

Please tell me somebody else gets that......or is it just a Tuam thing.

Nobody is gonna see yer legs/feet(fingers crossed the floor is gonna be busy) so don't worry about them, yer hands is all you have to worry about. Just copy what the person the other side of the dance floor is doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭cork-langer

couple of jack daniels usually works for me, id be dancin like the drunken uncle you see at every wedding.
    But until your 18 i suggest you flail your arms about in a frenzy of shapes and you'll be fine.
    Just enjoy yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I was the exact same as you when I was that age!!! I would not go near a dance floor! More than 10 years later, ye can't keep me off the shaggin thing now! Don't know where the breakthrough came from, I think it was something to do with being drunk some night!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Muzzy wrote:

Stacking the shelves?
    Screwing in the lightbulb?!
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

qz wrote:
    Stacking the shelves?
    Making a pizza?
    Mowing the lawn?
    Making a sandwich?

qz wrote:
    Stacking the shelves?

Try starting the lawnmower! :cool: :cool: :cool: :D:D :eek: :eek:

Muzzy wrote:

Nobody is gonna see yer legs/feet(fingers crossed the floor is gonna be busy) so don't worry about them, yer hands is all you have to worry about. Just copy what the person the other side of the dance floor is doing.

Yeah I heard this and was going to mention it but thought it was just a scottish thing cos that's where I heard it, from a scottish mate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

First of all - you can dance - everyone has the ability. Your first step is to stop saying to yourself that you cant. You need to get over that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Dancing is overrated, just stand/sit around looking cool instead... strike a pose every once in a while and nobody will be any the wiser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

pm Syxpak and he will tell you how to do the "Figure 4!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Everyone can dance. Since you're a girl, it's fairly simple, just shake your ass and pretend you're Shakira/the Pussycat Dolls/ Beyonce!!! Have fun tonight and don't let the fact that you THINK you can't dance ruin your night!!
    xx

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

Everybody can dance, you just have to find your style! Plus, you're a girl, it's simple: Just wiggle your ass, and pretend you're Shakira/Beyonce!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭smk135

Ruu wrote:
    Well I'm a guy .

:eek: !! i thought you were a girl! duno why but i did..
    imposter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Watch the last 15 minutes of Napolean Dynamite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks so much for the advice guys. I was grand. I'm not amazing at dancing but I'm actually better than a lot of people there - especially the guys! It was a good laugh and I realised you don't need any experiance for that sorta thing. A bit of practice is good but ah well!

Had a great night and I didnt need to get legless to do it either!

And, also, I DO love napolean dynamite but i think people wouldnt get the joke if I went onto the dancefloor dancing like him!

"Gimme some of your tots!"
    -"No way get your own freakin tots! God...your such a freakin idiot!"

haha

Advertisement