Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Zorn

• 12-09-2006 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Experminental eh? Has this man and his works invaded anybody's consciousness lately? Have you heard any of his groups - Moonchild, Masada, Hemophilliac, Naked City, Painkiller, Cobra - or any of his musical collaborations - Mike Patton, Bill Laswell, Eye Yamatsuka (Boredoms), Trevor Dunn (Mr. Bungle), Joey Baron, Erik Friedlander etc - or have you heard his production on the first Mr. Bungle album - or have you heard his soundtrack music to the (frankly brilliant) film Funny Games?

Lots of questions. It'd be nice to have a few answers before I elaborate on the man and his projects some more, because it takes time and that isn't what I have at the moment.

Lets just say if you like Fantomas, Mr. Bungle, or even Kronos Quartet, Ennio Morricone or orchestral chamber music, Zorn is well worth your time and money. Free jazz/grindcore/classical arrangements doesn't happen very often at once in music, and this man has been doing it since the 80's.

I'll be back!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Locust Reign

Loved his Naked City stuff!
    Other than that I dont know where to go with the guy, he has so much stuff out!
    I also got a copied version of one of his solo albums (i think!) Orchestra, female vocalist, 5 tracks? Any idea?
    Was... interesting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

About time for a John Zorn thread!

As a huge Mike Patton fan i've checked out the Moonchild stuff.
    On first listen to be honest i wasn't overly inpressed. But the stuff is growing on me. Echoes of Fantomas Delirum Cordia? A little bit i think anyway.

I've heard good things about the Naked City album. Must try get that.

But yeah, John Zorn = Class. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

His album "Spillane" - a soundtrack to a "fictional" movie based on the crime novels of Mickey Spillane - is really good fun. I've heard some of the Naked City stuff and quite like his pastiches of "The Sicilian Clan", "The Pink Panther Theme" etc. Also, his album of Ornette Coleman covers, "Spy vs. Spy", has some incredible moments.

As for the stuff in "Funny Games", that wasn't actually composed as a soundtrack, was it? I always thought Haneke had just picked it from pre-released Naked City material. It's very effective in the context of that film, abruptly bursting in out of nowhere in the middle of a genteel guessing-game about well known pieces of classical music. Still, I find that speedcore shtick offers rapidly diminishing returns. Without any background or environment (musical or otherwise) against which to provide a contrast, a few minutes of that stuff would leave me tired and emotionless.

Has anyone seen Zorn and/or any of his bands live? I'd say that's interesting.
    Experminental eh? Has this man and his works invaded anybody's consciousness lately? Have you heard any of his groups - Moonchild, Masada, Hemophilliac, Naked City, Painkiller, Cobra - or any of his musical collaborations - Mike Patton, Bill Laswell, Eye Yamatsuka (Boredoms), Trevor Dunn (Mr. Bungle), Joey Baron, Erik Friedlander etc - or have you heard his production on the first Mr. Bungle album - or have you heard his soundtrack music to the (frankly brilliant) film Funny Games?

Lots of questions. It'd be nice to have a few answers before I elaborate on the man and his projects some more, because it takes time and that isn't what I have at the moment.

Lets just say if you like Fantomas, Mr. Bungle, or even Kronos Quartet, Ennio Morricone or orchestral chamber music, Zorn is well worth your time and money. Free jazz/grindcore/classical arrangements doesn't happen very often at once in music, and this man has been doing it since the 80's.

I'll be back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I've haven't given Zorn as much time as he deserves. Mainly because there's so bloody much to try and find it all! What I have heard (bits of Naked City and various collaborations) has been excellent. Thanks for reminding me of him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

As for the stuff in "Funny Games", that wasn't actually composed as a soundtrack, was it? I always thought Haneke had just picked it from pre-released Naked City material.
    I'm pretty sure that's what happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I think it's probably the only piece of music in the whole film, which makes it a particulalry devilish selection.
    DadaKopf wrote:
    I'm pretty sure that's what happened.

John Zorn special on BBC Radio 3 tonight.

The show has been archived for the next few days

ahh zorn, a king. Ive seen him a few times, have many dvds cds etc. Probably my favourite works would be Bar kochbha if thats how you spell it. Some of his game pieces are a bit much, but its nice there are people out there still pushing the boundries. For anyone into Zorn you must get Marc Ribots music and try and get hold of the above group playing at the warsaw jazz fest 2000

I see it like this......first comes beethoven, then comes ennio, then zorn and followed by patton

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

I got into Zorn through my love of Mr.Bungle, but his stuff with Naked City is really great. I also bought an excellent collection of his Film Music a while back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Anyone know of a place in Dublin to get Naked City albums? Can't seem to find them. Been listening to the odd track on the internet lately, think i'm ready for an album now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭welcomeinjam

iFight wrote: »
    Anyone know of a place in Dublin to get Naked City albums? Can't seem to find them. Been listening to the odd track on the internet lately, think i'm ready for an album now!

Nah you can't really get naked city stuff anywhere in Dublin which is suprising considering tower records have a ****load of john zorn. I saw a naked city live at the knitting factory album there once but that was it. I think you might have to order albums off amazon I'm afraid but believe me it'll be worth it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

I think you might have to order albums off amazon I'm afraid but believe me it'll be worth it :)

Thanks, will give it a go. Dying to get my hands on an album

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

there is a great group in cork that play masada every now and then for free in the city. seen them a few times. A whiskey, nice small venue and masada played live is what makes a great evening. The musicians are fairly compotent. Dont think they have a name, they just call the night john zorns masada.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭thesunwashot

John Zorn is due to be playing in Drogheda on 2nd May 2008. Details are still a bit sketchy but it looks like it will be various Masada pieces that are performed.

Zorn's Masada String Trio are amazing so I am hoping for an appearance from them in Drogheda. There is plenty to check out on youtube. This track is one of my favourites: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT_yyYXska8

As people were saying above, there is so much Zorn stuff available that it can be a little tricky knowing where to start. Naked City is classic earlier material but I prefer his more recent recordings. Everything I have heard on the 50th birthday celebrations is excellent in particular Masada Strings, Electric Masada and Zorn's duo with Milford Graves.

John Zorn is due to be playing in Drogheda on 2nd May 2008. Details are still a bit sketchy but it looks like it will be various Masada pieces that are performed.

WOW where did ya hear about this?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭thesunwashot

It is being put on by louth cms (www.louthcms.org).

But....

I went looking for the link to respond on this board and the page has gone from their website. I mailed the organiser and it seems it has been postponed until 2009. Last time I chatted with the guy it was on in May so this is very disappointing.

Sorry to get your hopes up. I should have rechecked before I posted.

There is another Zorn related gig though... Erik Friedlander (http://www.erikfriedlander.com) who plays cello in Zorn's Masada Strings is playing at the Sugar Club in Dublin on 15th May. Should be worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Chongo

So, did this NOT happen then? Can't find any information on it at all... I had it in my mind that it was in June but got a shock when I looked it up again and saw it was at the start of May...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 CeluiDuDehors

I like Naked City and Masada but that's all, there's lot of rubbish in his discography and his saxophone style is a bit annoying at times (loads of gimmicks). Have a look on Peter Brotzmann and Tim Berne, experimental as well and much more powerfull and intense than everything Zorn have done yet!

Chongo wrote: »
    So, did this NOT happen then? Can't find any information on it at all... I had it in my mind that it was in June but got a shock when I looked it up again and saw it was at the start of May...

Yeah does anyone have any information if it went ahead or if it has been reschedueled this is killing me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Bought the Gift by Zorn really good chilled guitar album.
    Love that track 6 on Mike Pattons album where Zorn plays the horn.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 choral

Louth Contemporary Music Society’s first concert for 2010 features a performance by the great American pianist Uri Caine in St.Peter’s Church of Ireland Drogheda on 5 March 2010 at 8pm.

Pianist and composer Uri Caine gleefully and artfully ignores the boundaries between musical genres, mixing up Mahler and Bach with original music, swinging bebop and hard-hitting drum-and-bass. He launches LCMS 2010 concerts by performing John Zorn’s Book of Angel’s Volume 6: Moloch.

Moloch is a remarkable set of piano solos. Some of these pieces are dark, others very beautiful. All are played superbly and imaginatively. Uri Caine is a Philadelphia-raised virtuoso, unconfined by genres. Likewise-unfettered is the music’s composer, John Zorn, from whose Book of Angels {Masada Book Two} these pieces come.

In addition to performing solo and with his own ensemble, Caine has worked with groups, including those led by by Don Byron, Sam Rivers, Clark Terry, Arto Lindsay,John Zorn and Barry Altschul. He has also performed with the Woody Herman Band, the Enja Band, and Global Theory. Caine has appeared at many jazz festivals including the What is Jazz? Festival, the Texaco Jazz Festival (New York), the Montreal Jazz Festival, Jazz Across the Borders (Berlin), and the Newport Jazz Festival. Appearances at classical music festivals include the Salzburg Festival, the Holland Festival, and the Israel Festival. Caine is the recipient of grants from the Pennsylvania Council on the Arts and the National Endowment for the Arts.

Uri Caine is presented by Louth Contemporary Music Society (LCMS) in association with Louth County Arts Office. Uri Caine is funded by The Arts Council / An Chomhairle Ealaíon and financially supported by the the Louth Arts Office.
    Tickets €15 are available from
    www.centralticketbureau.com
    Tel: 0818 205 205 (ROI)
    0870 850 2896 (UK)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 WoodenChin

Love his album - Dreamers.

Advertisement