Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fishing

• 12-09-2006 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

hi i'm new to fishing but no matter what i try i cant catch anything. I normally fish off the pier in dunmore or tramore. Can someone give me a few hints as to how i go about catching fish

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

What sort of tackle have you? ;) it must be like my husband's as he doesn't even catch as much as a cold

Oops I almost forgot, he caught 3 mackeral on one occasion this year and a dogfish another time but he didn't get much opportunity this year.

I feel sorry for him because he sometimes brings the children and the odd neighbours child or two and they all sit there quietly in great anticipation

If anyone has any tips I'd love to hear them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭portlairge

if you are new to fishing try fishing to the harbour side of the piere in dunmore plenty of dabs "flat fish" there it should keep you busy for a while and good starting fun use a small hook some colour beads and a lug worm then try a cast from the end of the piere out the wat always a bit of whiting there and the bigger flats
    try spinning at the saleens for some bass if u get one what a fight.
    also good for ground fishing too
    happy fishing and enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

portlairge wrote:
    if you are new to fishing try fishing to the harbour side of the piere in dunmore plenty of dabs "flat fish" there it should keep you busy for a while and good starting fun use a small hook some colour beads and a lug worm then try a cast from the end of the piere out the wat always a bit of whiting there and the bigger flats
    try spinning at the saleens for some bass if u get one what a fight.
    also good for ground fishing too
    happy fishing and enjoy

Portlairge.. any chance of a beginners guide to fishing at the saleens? Sounds like good craic. Where, how, with what etc! I've never caught a fish without going on a boat and parking it over a load of stupid mackeral. Looking for bass sounds like a bit of a laugh. Would ya be standing there for hours without a thing at this time of year?

Also, what equipment would we need? Where do you get the right bait etc? Cheers!!

saleens fishing can be brill if the bass are taking the bait, the best time to be there is the first 2-3 hrs of the tide coming in :confused: so be there on low water and then stay till the high water there is no dirty bait its like spinning for mackerel but with more skill all you need is a rod n reel some light line 10lb monofilament is fine and a lure "rapala do the best ones" can be bought for about €10 in john o briens on the tramore buisness park he will tell u which one. its very hard to lose the lure as it floats and as you retrieve it, it acts like a wounded fish............. excellent .............. but be warned you wont catch bass all the time they are clever f***ers ......still havent got one this year:mad: but came very close a couple of times an excellent fight off a powerful fish....... lots of fun though ..........enjoy...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

....any chance of a beginners guide to fishing at the saleens?

Just make sure to drive your car down onto the beach like some of the 'outdoor' rugged types do. Then dump your fag buts, coffee cups, cans etc onto the beach when your finished and then head off home with a warm feeling after a great day spent in nature.

• Advertisement

i presume u aint blaming the anglers for that infact i hope u aint
    cos most of the s**t on the beach is washed up on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

No, not all anglers, just some of the lads I've seen there don't seem to give a ****e about the beach at all. I think I saw a thread somewhere (is there an angling forum?) where the anglers in Waterford were planning a beach clean up. So I wouldn't tar them all with the same brush, fair play to most of them
    I assume the ones that do litter are not in any club or part of a group cos some of the stuff is packaging for really cheap reels and lures, any self respecting angler wouldn't use it.

Advertisement