Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1999 VW Passat 1.8T Fault

Options
  • 12-09-2006 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

My Passat has started to visibly vibrate and shudder when ticking over at 800 RPM and also at over 2500 RPM whilst driving in the higher gears. Anybody know what is causing it. It also burns about 2 liters of oil every 1000 miles.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

2 litres of oil in 1000 miles is excessive. Sounds like you may have worn piston rings or worn valve stem oil seals. As there is a turbo fitted it is quite possible that the turbo (which is fed with oil) is allowing some oil through and into the intake system. If you can remove the spark plugs have a look at them. If only one is covered in oil then its most likely a piston ring or valve stem seal problem. If they are all covered in oil then its a turbo problem.

My guess is that is the turbo leaking oil into the intake - I've seen this before. Is it a 1997 - 2000 Passat by any chance?

Its also possible that the two problems are unrelated.

Advertisement