Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Options

Options
  • 12-09-2006 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Anyone going next week!!?Im going on the thurs i think, should be interesting but will prob just confuse me more!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I am. Im goin on the Thursday definately. Have to find out about Postgrads in primary teaching

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 CosaFada

do ya not do hons. irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ~flammable~

Was at it last year.Its really good and really helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

I was at it last year too. I just walked around for ten minutes and went to enjoy the day off school last year. It is good and I do recall alot of foreign colleges that give you lots of choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rjt

Yeah, I'll probably be going on the Friday. I'm particularly interested in the bigger colleges from the UK, although it's unlikely I'd be able to afford any of them :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Goin on thursday with me whole class.
    rjt, if courses in English Colleges don't fill, they offer them out free under certain conditions. I don't know them, but I'm sure you could find them out. My cousin is starting Journalism in Liverpool in about a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

Imo its the biggest waste of time. You can see everyhting you want to see in ten mins, then you're forced to sit around for hours doing nothing.....completely useless

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

It's useful if you're thinking of applying to the UK, there's a serious amount of colleges represented there. A little advice: Don't take as many prospectuses as early in the day as I did or you'll have a very heavy pile to drag around all day.. they'll still be there later after all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭N1njapirate

I'm going Thursday!
    weeeee! Not sure though exactly what I want to look at. So I'm a bit wary of not getting the most out of it.. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭bright

^ id say if you pick up all the prospectuses for college you are actually considering going to and also get as many on the spot offers from uk colleges as you can-apparently alot of uk colleges admissions officers will be there and are capible of giving you an offer on the spot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 the1

can you just turn up and pay at the door? if yes how much

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

cosafada wrote:
    do ya not do hons. irish?

Nope. Cant stand it and dont know why its needed for primary teaching. All will be revealed for me tomorrow.

the1, im sure ya can pay at the door, not fully sure though. €8 it is.its on in the evening aswell so im sure ya can

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I went to it today with my class. 6 hours of travelling (we're in Waterford) and after it all, I can safely say that I have much more questions than I had going up there!

I would say that it's worth it though, especially for the vast presence of English colleges. It helped me realise that there are many more options out there for me to consider, although I'm wondering whether that's a good thing or not!

One piece of advice for you is to just have a look around first at all the colleges and note where they are. You'll notice that there's a massive rush at the beginning of the day as 8,000 students pile in and grab every prospectus in sight. This makes it difficult for you to be able to get the attention and have a proper conversation with the College reps that are there who are generally very helpful but it's quite annoying being pushed around during the rush. So after you know where everything is, go outside, get some air and try not to trip over the masses of Irish Times that will be on the ground! Then, go back in and hopefully things won't be as busy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I'm going tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

Dont forget that the main part of the day is about going on the lash!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

was pretty pointless. I was in and out in less than ten mins (not including the lecture) and the "science and IT" lecture talk thing was very boring and pointless :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Was there thursday...what a joke.

The guy there from Cambridge was really letting the place down. Semi open shirt with his chest hanging out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭wba88

i thought the law lecture was very insightful compared to lectures at open days eg last years UCD open day was crap they just told you everything u already know over 20mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

i was there last year and thought it was a bit crap. pretty much anything you want to find out about a college you can get online..
    but sure, day off school was a laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Tingo

Rockerette wrote:
    but sure, day off school was a laugh
    And the pens were totally kickass. :D Usually you might just get one or two different types of pens, but there was dozens of kinds here. Completely worth it for the pens. I knew there was a reason why I didn't buy any stationery for going back to school. :rolleyes:

No lollypops though. I was told my someone from some random college that there would probably be lollypops around and went on a mission to find them...but no such luck. They lied. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Ballboy

UCD had yo yos.... Its all good!!

Advertisement