Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting back into cycling

Options
  • 12-09-2006 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

I used to do a good bit of cycling a couple of years ago (approx 40-60 miles a day) a couple of years ago. I am getting back into it and want to start fresh with a good road bike. I'm thinking of spending between 700-1000 euros. Is this enough?

I'm 5'10 so I reckon i need a 50 or 52" frame. I plan to do this primarily for fitness and will be on the road 3-4 times a week.

What bikes should I consider?
    What things should I look out for and what should I avoid?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

tbh if you were doing 40-60 miles a day people here should be taking advice from you. Not the other way round.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭aodhu

At 5'10 I'd imagine you'd be looking at a bigger frame then that? maybe 54-56", Of course it depends more on your leg inseam then actual hight.

I'm 5'10 and I ride a 56" frame.

For a 1000 you should be able to pick up a nice Entry level bike. Are you looking for a new bike or a second hand one?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

Unfortunately the 40-60 miles was a day but not every day, maybe 3-4 times a week!!!
    As for a bike it will be new but am thinking of trying to pick up '06 model a little cheaper over the next couple of months.

Am i spending enough for what i am planning to do?
    What should I look for/avoid in terms of wheels, frame, groupset.

By the looks of things I think it is down to trek 1000/1200, Giant CSR2 or specialized (not sure what model). Any other brand i should consider?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

maybe a Lapierre, cyclesuperstore do them. I hear they do good deals on them.

For €1000 you should be looking for at least Tiagra, make sure if you can that you get the Tiagra Shifters aswell, I've seen a few bike selling with "Full Tiagra" but with Sora Shifters!

The Trek 1000 is a nice entry level bike, by all accounts the wheels are the only week spot. For €1000 you could maybe get one of these and upgrade the wheels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

Can you ellaborate on what the issue is with the wheels? Any recommendations on what I should replace them with?

Check out this link on Trek 1000 wheels.

https://ptweb.op.ph.ic.ac.uk/~graceej/rants/trek1000/

As for what type to get instead, sorry but you'll need to talk to someone wiser in the ways of Cycling then me!

Advertisement