Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

mivec or gsr ????

Options
  • 12-09-2006 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

i need help people, i want to buy either a mivec or a gsr lancer, im just not sure which one to go for, and im also thinkin about bringin it across from japan, apparently they can be picked up for handy money at auctions.

anyone got any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

u proballyknow this already but the mivec is a 1.6 fwd n/a car the
    gsr is a 1.8 4wd turbo if your insurance can cope go with the gsr the extra power is there if u need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 kev2

went for a spin in a lancer mivec today, its 1997, jap import, black, and its damm quick, the rock bottom is 7,400 euros and its a minter. its mostly bog standard but has coilovers and a full induction kit. the insurance dont like the sound of a turbo'd car for a 19 year old so i think i'll stick wit the mivec. wat do ya think should i go for it and do u know much about runnin costs.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

dont know about the running costs google it.
    if your happy with the car go for it u wont be dissapointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 MivecSocky

Well man you can prob guess from my name but I have a mivec lancer, she's a 99 and I love the car to bits.
    Its comfortable, has air con, box is a bit crunchy at times but its got a nice feel, the engine is peppy enough, plenty power after 6k, handling as standard is pretty good, way ahead of the likes of say a vti/sir coupe, I have coilovers in mine and she's welded to the road.
    Running costs would be:
    A mivec needs an oil and filter change every 5k'kms to keep her sweet, change plugs every 15k. Mitsi oil filter is about a tenner, oil is about 30euro a drum, so say 50euro every 5000km's. Plugs are about 15euro a piece. You need to be keeping her regulary serviced with teh best of oil/plugs for her to run right.
    Petrol, you can expect to get between 300 and 400km's from a tank, a tank costs about 40euro to fill from empty. Of course, if your mam drives it it'l do 450 to 500km, and if you drive it on you'll do 200 to 250. I dont use any octane boost and have no hassles.
    Other than that theres not much else, tyres all depends on what tyre you run and how much abuse you give the car, gearbox oil needs to be done every 40 to 50k
    As for the GSR, well you get about 40 extra bhp maybe more, but you get a heavier car, it will use more petrol, cost more to insure, eat tyres but other wise be the same as the mivec to run/service

As the man says, all down to how much money you have/want to spend, tho I would say GSR is a bit much power to have at 19, mivec run about 160bhp in the real world which makes em 10 to 20bhp more than a levin and about the same as an sir civic.

cheers for that lad, think im gonna go for it. mine is gonna be pretty standard to start wit but i like that cause its sorta like a wolf in sheeps clothin cause they're nipppy without usin the mivec but when she hits 5 or 6k they really take off and people are gonna know ur comin. thanks for the info lad, i'll keep ya posted. wat u think of the price??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

whats the kind of performance from the lancer mivec? Bhp, 0-60 times etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭sniper83

well lad, dont own either car myself (more of a honda man;) )but friends of mine each have the cars. the grs is one fast car it will leave a lot of cars looking at it fly past if you no what i mean;) !! parts for the gsr can be expensiveand hard to get as my friend found out (rear diff and other bits)! id buy the 1.6 coz they have plenty of poke and are minge on petrol compared to the gsr!! by the way not a bad price, if you were buying a 97 gsr you would be paying around 11-12k for a nice one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 2manyturbos

I own a MIVEC, it is a Mirage coupe RX in black, and I must say the comments on here are spot on.

It is meant to be giving 175 hp, but I reckon it will only give this with the very best of 100 octane petrol, and if maintained and tuned properly. I add octane booster to mine, because the ECU will retard the ignition if it detects knock, and in that case the engine will be giving far less power.

On the economy side, it surprised me because it is a good bit more economical than our single cam Vtec honda [115bhp]. Then I discovered that when running at light load, the MIVEC engine can drop out two cylinders.:eek: Eh, no, you don't have to go back up the road and collect them, they rotate idle with no fuel injected.:rolleyes: :D

If you are interested in a good deal Kev, PM me, as I am selling it. Pictures on Carzone http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=508395

I took it in partial trade for a Legacy Twin Turbo, thinking my wife would use it, but she wants four doors for work. In fact, if it was a four door car, I would not be selling it at all, I think it is a brilliant piece of kit. Being a turbo man though, I would probably go more for a GSR, more my cup of tea.

Joe

had a look on carzone there Joe, its a lovely lookin car but i sorta like the lancers a bit more cause of thier size and also i have my eye on a crashed mivec wit a lot of tasty spares on it so im gonna try to pick that up.

the only thing worrying me now is the insurance, they quoted me 2200 euros altogether even though i mentioned MIVEC, i dont think they really understand wat it means and although the car is down as a 1.6, they would probably try to wriggle out of it if i made a claim cause it would have to be insured as either a 1.6 glxi, or a 1.6 lancer mirage, and i dont think the mivec would come under any of those headings.

wat did u have yours insured as???

sniper83 wrote:
    well lad, dont own either car myself (more of a honda man;) )but friends of mine each have the cars. the grs is one fast car it will leave a lot of cars looking at it fly past if you no what i mean;) !! parts for the gsr can be expensiveand hard to get as my friend found out (rear diff and other bits)! id buy the 1.6 coz they have plenty of poke and are minge on petrol compared to the gsr!! by the way not a bad price, if you were buying a 97 gsr you would be paying around 11-12k for a nice one!

yeah i think ur right lad im gonna stick wit the mivec for now cause id probably hop a gsr off a tree or somethin stupid like that, id get a bit too excited wit the power i think, wat do ya drive urself

• Advertisement

ando wrote:

the lads are talkin bout 160 to about 175 bhp , which is a very good output from a 1.6, have no ideas on 0-60 just yet but giv me a week or two and i'll be able to tell ya then,

nice cupra by the way:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 2manyturbos

Well, both my wife and I are insured on the Colt, and we both have long no-claims records.

Very long:rolleyes: :D

That's another way of saying we are of the older generation.

When I sent details to our insurance, I described it like it is, an Asti Mirage RX. When the quote came back, our insurers, Eagle Star, have it described as a Mitsubishi Colt GTI-16V. I rang the brokers and complained, but the answer was this was the bracket that the insurers have it listed in.

The most recent renewal notice I got has the model as a Colt GLX.

As far as I'm concerned, I gave them an accurate description of the car, correct model number, the works. Whatever they want to classify it as afterwards, that's their business. I'm not going to keep correcting them forever. It is their job to get the paperwork right. I described the car 100% correct in the first case, it is up to them to keep record of that. Because I do.

As most ordinary Plain Jane Colts [hey, no offence to anybody who owns one, they are good cars ;) ] are either 1.3 or 1.5, as a general rule I suspect that insurance companies will rate all 1.6 litre [actually 1597cc] cars as being in the GTI [i.e.sporty] bracket.

You might try quoting the actual ccs of 1597 to them on the quotation form, and don't describe it as 1600cc or as a 1.6 anywhere. If by chance they rate it as a 1500cc car, you might get a reasonable quote.

Best of luck with the Lancer Kev. They are nice cars, I like them.

Hey, and drive safe, OK?

Joe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 MivecSocky

ando wrote:

All depends.. they average bout 160bhp, depending on how well the car is looked after etc (for comparison a levin is about 140 to 150bhp, an sir civic is about 160 in a lighter shell and a pulsar vzr is about 165 to 170, but its still an almera)
    0-60 depends on the driver, but expect low 7's, maybe quicker with a bit of work. Qtr miles about bout low 15's. The 1.6 class in the qtr mile in limerick last weekend (incl sir's, type r civics, vzr's etc) was won by a mivec.

Does anybody know where id get some parts for the mivec, i wanna get a nice front bumper (not an Evo one!!) and side skirts and spoiler. also lookin for a set of alloys, probably 16", im thinkin of goin white cause the car is black and i think white wheels would suit it well

Oh and i forgot my old car is now up for sale, its a lancer too, 1998 GLX 1.3 its silver and has 17s wit an ice install. its a lovely genuine car if anybodys interested gimme a shout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Conor E

Im currently lookin for some mivec goodies for my mirage <body kit engine etc> so if you find somewhere they are available please let us no! As for the 16s, I would have to recomned looking at Rota rims, Pro Parts in Fairview are the main supplier over here. big range of 16s they are VERY lightweight strong and stylish too. Expect to pay around 900 for a new set. Mine were worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Iguana Bob

Go for gsr best car iv had so far in the wet its great beast to slide bit of a rip on petrol insuranc only 1800 21 provo licence with ma as main driver

Advertisement