Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Adium on campus network

Options
  • 12-09-2006 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm trying to get Adium to work for me on campus. So far this is what I have done.

I have installed Authoxy and and have configured it to posaune.ucd.ie:8484
    In Adium in my Gmail & Messenger account options I have them configured to connect via http via localhost 127.0.0.1 port 8080

Also I have added startAuthoxy to my login items tab.

This however is not working for me. Can anyone please tell me where I am going wrong.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Not really of any help but.. Hooray for Adium!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Authoxy is unnecessary - our proxy does not need authentication.

In your app and/or global preferences set the automatic configuration url to

http://proxy.ucd.ie/proxy.pac

and if you need to set a static server go for

proxy.ucd.ie on port 8484

it may be that your application just won't work with a HTTP proxy. MSN definitely works through the college proxy when using the ordinary messenger so yours should too.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭catching_streams

Cheers but i've tried connecting via the static server and also using the proxy.pac file and neither work.

Authoxy won't help at all in either case.

It may be that the package you use tries to connect on a port other than 443 or 80, or that it tries to perform a CONNECT method on port 80. Do you get an error message?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭catching_streams

Hi,
    I have got MSN Messenger working but still no luck with Google Talk. I'm using Authoxy and the remote proxy "posaune" on 8585. Google Talk gives me the following error "Access denied: proxy server forbids port 5222 tunnelling." It seems that the proxy allows access on port 1863 for MSN but not 5222. I'm not sure if GTalk will communicate on another port. Any ideas? Cheers.

• Advertisement

MSN has ways and means of communicating over port 80 in case of stubborn proxies.

I repeat again that you do not need authoxy unless the proxy requires a username and password, which ours does not.

Web page requests on port 80 and 443 are for the most part the only thing allowed through the UCD proxy.

Advertisement