Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Taxing a newly purchased car

Options
  • 12-09-2006 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

I bought a new (to me) car within the last month. I've just got the registration details back from Shannon, so that I can now tax the car. There was no tax disc on the car when I bought it, and I don't know when it was last taxed (cartell.ie wasn't able to give me the info).

I think I've read before (possibly here) that I need to go to the guards, and get a document stateing that the car had been off the roads until the day I bought it, or else I'll get stuck paying the tax on the car from when it was last taxed. Is this true?, and if so whats the name of the document I need to get?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Stky10 wrote:
    I bought a new (to me) car within the last month. I've just got the registration details back from Shannon, so that I can now tax the car. There was no tax disc on the car when I bought it, and I don't know when it was last taxed (cartell.ie wasn't able to give me the info).

I think I've read before (possibly here) that I need to go to the guards, and get a document stateing that the car had been off the roads until the day I bought it, or else I'll get stuck paying the tax on the car from when it was last taxed. Is this true?, and if so whats the name of the document I need to get?

The most you can get stuck for is the tax from the day you bought it. A lot of people will get the form signed so that it only has to be payed from the start of the current month, ie you go to the gards with the form filled out saying it's off the road till 5/9/06, so you then tax it from the start of sept, and everyone is happy. Unless your known to them (in a bad way) they generally won tbat an eyelid (or even bother reading the form) and just sign it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you don't need anything signed by the guards as long as you're not declaring it off the road for any period after the change of ownership.

colm_mcm wrote:
    you don't need anything signed by the guards as long as you're not declaring it off the road for any period after the change of ownership.

I would assume that since its only the 13th and the form usually takes about 2 weeks to get to Shannon and back that the car was bought in the last week or so of last month, and since he wont have been driving it without tax :) theres no point in paying for the whole of August. Sure who'd begrudge him a month off his tax bill for a car he wasnt :) driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

down with this sort of thing

it's only a month's tax! don't be so mean!

colm_mcm wrote:
    down with this sort of thing

it's only a month's tax! don't be so mean!

For those of us driving 2.5 ltr cars, a months tax is costly.:)

Not that I condone the above actions as I keep my car taxed and have never even seen the inside of a police station. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

AFAIK the form that you take to the guards is a declaration by YOU, to say the car has been off the raod for the time stated.

By signing the form, all the guard is doing is verifying that you signed it in his presence. That's why they'll sign it without even really looking at - the onus is on you. IF it was ever proved afterwards that the car was actually in use, it's you that faces the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

On the "month's tax" issue, I think there should be lee-way for the last couple of days of the month.

ie 30th September this year is a Saturday. So, if I bought a new car and collected it on that day, I'd be liable for tax for the whole month of September! Bit unfair, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

I bought the car on the 19th of August. Yet it was only on yesterday I got the letter back from Shannon. I don't know if it was them or the previous owner to blame for the delay.

Anyway, where do I get this form that I take to the guards?. From the motor tax office?. I presumed up to now that it was the guards that actually had the form and I just signed it in their presence?.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I just got a new car, the garage regged it on 31st July, even though I didn't pick it up till a few days later. I got the reg form signed by the Garda on the way home. I was very tempted to pay the extra €38 and just pay the tax online, but in the end said f*ck it and waited over at Dundrum for the couple of hours to get it taxed from August.

Garda didn't even bother to read the form, but then it was a new car from a dealer, rather than a second hand sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Tax renewal form - section 7 needs to be signed by the Gardai.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

It BeeMee wrote:
    On the "month's tax" issue, I think there should be lee-way for the last couple of days of the month.

ie 30th September this year is a Saturday. So, if I bought a new car and collected it on that day, I'd be liable for tax for the whole month of September! Bit unfair, no?

Unfair but true... one it's registered in the month at all - whether it was the first or the last day of th month - you get chanrged for the whole month (probably because the tax system only works on a monthly basis.)

No bother getting the Garda stamp though... just make sure you fill the right dates in. If you get a wrong and scribble over it, they (the Motor Tax Office) will refuse to take it (I'm guessing since it might look like you just went: "Ah... I'll just change that there and give myself another month without paying tax" :)

Advertisement