Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are Fiat's still a no go?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

yellow012 wrote:
    The ELX's usually have the 16v 80bhp engine which doesn't suffer the same headgasket problems as the Punto 60's.

In Ireland the ELX had the same 60bhp 8 valve engine as the base. (it was available with a 16v in the UK) To get the 1242cc 16V you need to get a Sporting (3dr only) or a HLX (5dr only)

The reason I said to go for an ELX is that they come with essentials like central locking, electric windows, rear headrests, colour coded bumpers etc. With such choice out there it'd be foolish to go for a black-bumper base model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

colm_mcm wrote:
    In Ireland the ELX had the same 60bhp 8 valve engine as the base. (it was available with a 16v in the UK) To get the 1242cc 16V you need to get a Sporting (3dr only) or a HLX (5dr only)

The reason I said to go for an ELX is that they come with essentials like central locking, electric windows, rear headrests, colour coded bumpers etc. With such choice out there it'd be foolish to go for a black-bumper base model.

Mines an ELX 85bhp 16v.. The mechanic told me he hadnt seen many around..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

wife had a 75bhp 8 valve 1.25 ELX model. She went for the ELX primarily because of the extras that were on it, albeit she picked that salmolny pinky colour...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

8 valve is only 60bhp not 75. (I had one, and a Sporting)

tried to order a 16v ELX in 2000, but they weren't available even as special order.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The small petrol engines and trim originally available on the mk I punto were

1108cc 8v 55bhp in S, SX trim and the ultra rare EL trim with a 6 speed gearbox
    1242cc 8v 75bhp in elx trim

The engines and trims were revised around 1997 to

1242cc 8v 60bhp in S SX and a few 'special editions'
    1242cc 16v 85bhp in 3dr sporting and 5dr ELX

The Mk II punto changed the specs slightly
    The 8v S just became the 60, I don't think it had any designation
    The 8v SX became the ELX
    The 16v ELX became the HLX and the engine was detuned from 85 to 80 bhp but low end torque was improved
    The 16v sporting was detuned similarly but kept it's name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

alias no.9 wrote:
    The small petrol engines and trim originally available on the mk I punto were

1108cc 8v 55bhp in S, SX trim and the ultra rare EL trim with a 6 speed gearbox
    1242cc 8v 75bhp in elx trim

The engines and trims were revised around 1997 to

1242cc 8v 60bhp in S SX and a few 'special editions'
    1242cc 16v 85bhp in 3dr sporting and 5dr ELX

The Mk II punto changed the specs slightly
    The 8v S just became the 60, I don't think it had any designation
    The 8v SX became the ELX
    The 16v ELX became the HLX and the engine was detuned from 85 to 80 bhp but low end torque was improved
    The 16v sporting was detuned similarly but kept it's name
    Good info.. but you forgot to add the Mk1 1.4 turbo:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

yellow012 wrote:
    Good info.. but you forgot to add the Mk1 1.4 turbo:D

and the 1.8 HGT, and the diesels....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

It's simple as this

FIAT's are very easy to love.

So...they can be a handfull, A toyota is like the girl next door, a FIAT is the rock chick that you can't bring home to your mam. She's plenty of fun but she is going to F*** you up at some stage.

I bought a 96 bravo and had a few problems with it but it was so much fun to drive that i bought another. I have had the second one now for 3 years (01) and Have not had a days trouble apart form the normal servicing requirements.
    Would I buy another. Yup - I would but a Fiat Coupe now.
    But i think I'll go for an Alfa 147 (FIAT)
    then an Alfa Spider (FIAT)
    then a ferrari F430 (FIAT)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

pardon the pun, but steer well clear of the Fiat - your best option for a small car of that year would be a Skoda Fabia - it's basically a VW Polo and they are extremely reliable and economical they are also starting to rise in value

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I did say the small petrol engines, there was indeed the 1.4GT turbo in the mkI and 1.8HGT in the mkII, 1.7diesels and none of you spotted that the original 1.6sporting (90bhp) was missing from the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

eamon234 wrote:
    pardon the pun, but steer well clear of the Fiat - your best option for a small car of that year would be a Skoda Fabia - it's basically a VW Polo and they are extremely reliable and economical they are also starting to rise in value

Refer my previous post....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

eamon234 wrote:
    it's basically a VW Polo and they are extremely reliable and economical they are also starting to rise in value

I know a guy with a fresh & very clean polo and the trade in offers he is getting from VW dealers are just insulting. So don't bank on the VWs holl there value brilliantly crap.

Agreed on the Fabia thoug. A decent little car.

Advertisement