Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite pieces

Options
  • 13-09-2006 6:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭

I'm sorry to see this forum so underused. I've just stumbled across the classical forum just now. I don't know a whole pile about the field and I wouldn't even pass myself off as an enthusiast but I do love some particular pieces. My current favourites are:
    Nessun Dorma from Puccinis Turandot
    Sheep May Safely Graze from Bachs Cantata No.2 (The Hunting Cantata)
    Synphony of Sorrowful Songs Goreckis Synphony No.3
    Blue Danube Waltz by Strauss
    Overture to the Marriage of Figaro by Mozart (My current ringtone for my girlfriend, saddly:D )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

I do enjoy classical every now and then. I was hoping to get some recommendations, but doesn't look like there'll be many in this forum...

Anyways:
    Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata in C sharp Minor
    and
    Tchaikovsky - Romeo and Juliet Fantasy Overture

My two favorite pieces at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

Hi bluto63, since you mentioned recommendations, I thought I'd give you a few that you can take or leave as you wish. :)

If you like Tchaikovsky, then I suggest you hear his Piano Concerto No. 1 in B-flat minor, the opening of which you have undoubtedly heard somewhere before. Out of all the versions I've heard, Sviatoslav Richter's version is the one I'd probably recommend the most. Vladimir Horowitz's version conducted by Arturo Toscanini is really impressive also, but as it's an old recording the quality is quite poor even when remastered, and Horowitz's tempo is really wild compared to Richter.

Anyway, off that bit of a tangent...

Some other nice Romantic music you might like is Rachmaninoff. Try his Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, or maybe the Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor.

Since you like the Beethoven "Moonlight" sonata (have you heard all three movements or just the first one? the third Allegro agitato movement is brilliant), you might like the "Pathétique" sonata in C minor, Op. 13, and possibly the Piano Concerto No. 5 in E-flat major, the "Emperor". After some Beethoven, you should try some of Mozart's piano music (Sonata No. 11 in A major is a good one) or Bach's keyboard music (Bach is one of my favourites, and Glenn Gould's 1981 recording of the "Goldberg" Variations BWV 988 is excellent beyond words).

If you need any more recommendations, I'd be glad to give you some. :) Hope those were of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

The Shepherds' Song from Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 paul mccarthy

Hey might as well add my current fav`s;
    pretty mush anything from Tchaikovsky`s Nut cracker suite.
    The Arrival of Queen Sheeba by Handel.
    Fantasie Impromptu by Chopin.
    Liebestraum by Liszt.
    Mozart`s symphony 40 ( all of it not just the 1st movement.
    there`s loads more but they should get you hooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

At the moment, Rachmaninoff's prelude in g minor, beethovens waldstein sonata, dvoraks symphony No. 8 and so gregorian chants all have my attention, as does anything baroque.

I'm also heavily into film scores at the moment (I know its not classical, but they're so cool). Hans Zimmer's Pirates 2, John Williams Schindlers List, Alan Silvestri's Back to the Future - there are too many on my mind to mention.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I'm having a bit of a Mahler moment at the moment. Mainly because the choir I'm in has been doing the choral bits in his Symphonies.

They're really dramatic pieces of music but I don't recommend going to see No.3 live as it's about 1 and a half to 2 hours long to sit though without a break. I know my ass was numb by the end!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Most things that include piano catch my interest. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

i guess it would be:

Kreuzer by Beethoven
    Turkish March paraphrased by arcadi volodos
    Golliwogs Cakewalk (and the children's corner suite) by Debussy
    Rhapsodie No,15 13 and 2 by franz Liszt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Ummmm...
    • Georges Bizet - March Of The Toreadors
    • Léo Delibes - Flower Duet
    • Edward Elgar - Pomp & Circumstance March #1 (Land Of Hope & Glory)
    • Julius Fucik - Entry Of The Gladiators
    • George Frederic Handel - Hallelujah I]From The Messiah[/I
    • Gustav Holst - Jupiter I]From The Planets[/I
    • Aram Khachaturian - Sabre Dance
    • Felix Mendelssohn - Wedding March
    • Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Horn Concerto #4
    • Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Overture I]From The Marriage Of Figaro[/I
    • Giacomo Puccini - O Mio Babbino Caro
    • Sergei Rachmaninov - Rhapsody On A Theme Of Paganini
    • Gioacchino Rossini - Overture I]From William Tell[/I
    • Johann Strauss II - Blue Danube Waltz
    • Johann Strauss II - Tritsch Tratsch Polka
    • Piotr Tchaikovsky - 1812 Overture
    • Piotr Tchaikovsky - Piano Concerto #1
    • Piotr Tchaikovsky - Russian Dance I]From The Nutcracker suite[/I
    • Ludwig Van Beethoven - 9th Symphony, 2nd Movement
    • Giuseppe Verdi - Vedi! Le Fosche Notturne (Anvil Chorus) I]From Il Trovatore[/I
    • Giuseppe Verdi - Brindisi I]From La Traviata[/I

If you want any of these I can arrage to send them to you.
    Kevin.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Arrange away(if they have piano). ;)

• Advertisement

The piano also gains my attention whenever I hear it. Are you a Michael Nyman fan?

I know of him but I don't know!
    I rarely pay attention to names when listening to classical music, I just hear a track, get it and it is nameless.

He's the chap who composed the musak for "The Piano".

michael-nyman.jpg

monkey%20glasses.jpg

Postcount etc.

Oh, it's Funky!

Hello my love.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Boys, please, a little on topic decorum please?

Don't know what came over me tSubh.... I'm not used to the real forums....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Back on topic...

Stravinsky - Rite of Spring
    Debussy - Prelude a l'Apres Midi d'Une Faune
    Beethoven - Symphony No 9 (Moog/Clockwork Orange rendition)
    Steve Reich - Music for 18 Musicians (I know, its not exactly classical, but whatever)
    Shostakovich - String Quartet no 12
    Mozart - Requiem
    Strauss - Just Spake something something...

Mmmm... ...they're good. I recently unearthed another beautiful piece too:

Stanley Myers - Cavatina

It was used in the intro to The Deer Hunter apparently.

Kevin.

• Advertisement

cornbb: Do you mean Richard Strauss's "Also Sprach Zarathustra" ("Thus Spake Zarathustra")? ;)

Anyone else here a fan of Olivier Messiaen? I discovered his music recently and it's great, very colourful and unusual, especially the organ music (I'd recommend Jennifer Bate's recordings).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Doshea3 wrote:
    cornbb: Do you mean Richard Strauss's "Also Sprach Zarathustra" ("Thus Spake Zarathustra")? ;)

Anyone else here a fan of Olivier Messiaen? I discovered his music recently and it's great, very colourful and unusual, especially the organ music (I'd recommend Jennifer Bate's recordings).

Thats the one! :) I couldn't be bothered looking the name up.

I've heard a little of Messiaen's stuff, he seemed to have a strange obsession with birdsong. He also went a bit off the rails with that whole serialism/12 tone malarkey...

Ah serialism........ *daydream*

Quite scary yet pleasing at the same time.

Yeah, serialism has its merits but I wouldn't consider myself a devotee. I like Boulez to a certain extent, but when you get into really large serialist works, you tend to get lost amongst all the notes and patterns.

I haven't heard much of Messiaen's serialist stuff—thankfully, serialism didn't occupy him too long, and he was able to produce the later stuff like the organ cycles. I suppose certain movements of the "Quartet for the End of Time" are serialistic, but it works in that sort of music.

"he seemed to have a strange obsession with birdsong"

LOL! Yeah, did all right. But I have to say that hearing birdsong played on the organ is an enlightening experience. I like Messiaen because of the abundance of ideas and symbolism in the music: every little thing means something, even if we don't understand it (I'm thinking of Messiaen's synaesthetic use of colour in music). That reminds me of something Thomas Trotter said about Messiaen, that you always feel he's communicating something to you in his music, even if you have no idea what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Wagner Ride of the Valkyries.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Schubert's Deathe and the Maiden would be my favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Berg: Violin Concerto
    Webern: Passacaglia
    Adams: Harmonielehre
    Glass: Violin Concerto
    Górecki: Genesis II
    Pärt: Da pacem Dominae
    Stravinsky: The Rite of Spring
    Kyle Gann: Cinderella's Bad Magic
    Mahler: Symphony No. 2
    Henry Lim: Piano Sonata No. 1
    John Buckley: Sonata for Solo Horn
    Schoenberg: Verklärte Nacht

FIN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭~nop~

I'm having a bit of a Mahler moment at the moment. Mainly because the choir I'm in has been doing the choral bits in his Symphonies. QUOTE]

Oh im totally with you on the mahler thing!! Symphony no.1 4th movement is absolutly legendary.

Im also liking Chopins preludes (esp the one in Csharp minor, have forgotten number)
    Shostakovitch - Jazz Suite
    Saint-Saens - The Swan - I heard the nicest version of it ever the other day and i just can't get it out of my head!
    Beethovans 5th and 9th
    Oh and the piece The Snowman - does that count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Man.....

Rimsky-Korsakov. My favorites are the 'Antar' Symphony (this could have been used as the soundtrack to LOTR) and 'Scheherazade'.

Haydn's 6,7, and 8 symphonies - 'Morning', 'Noon', and 'Evening', from the man who nearly singlehandedly invented the classical format.

Schubert's 'Unfinished' - sounds pretty complete to me. :) And 'Ave Maria'

Debussy's 'Prelude a l'Apres Midi d'Une Faune' (Afternoon of a faun), 'Clair de lune', and 'La Mer'

Any minor Valse by Chopin (and some of the major ones too!)

Holst's 'Jupiter' from 'The Planets' (good call, Kevster)

Handel's 'Water Music'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭~nop~

Gershwin - Rhapsody in Blue

Advertisement