Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need a Bit of advice asap

Options
  • 13-09-2006 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭

Not sure will anyone be able to help me but anyway... I am just after buying a Car over in the Uk, My Insurance company in Ireland is covering it for a Month... It has 12 Month MOT but the Tax is out and i cant tax it over here because i dont have a UK Insurance but said if i get an Insurance Cert from them it will be fine that wont be untill at least about 5-6 Days...Would i be Stupid to drive it around here incase i got stopped from the Police, or if i explained it would i get around it....?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I love the police in England.

They have a gadget in the car now that reads your license plate number. Within seconds the car details appear and if it doesnt have any tax its flagged straight away and you will get pulled over.

Heres the good bit. If you have no tax or insurance now, they can tow the car to the impound. If not retrieved they crush it.

The option is up to you personally I wouldnt chance it. Can you get the dealer to tax it instead and pay him the money after he/she has taxed it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

The Car is insured with my Irish Insurance, just they wont let me tax it with without the cert so i have to wait till that gets issued and sent over to me.....I already have the car here i got it yesterday bought it private.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

If you live in England permanently your car should be insured by english company, an irish cert onlly covers you for 30 days outside ireland.

Yeah i no my insurance is up in 28 days so i am using that so i can get my NCB cause if i canx i will lose it otherwise....

Keith C wrote:
    If you live in England permanently your car should be insured by english company, an irish cert onlly covers you for 30 days outside ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Are you in Ireland, with the UK car still on English plates but no English tax? If you are, then the below doesn't apply as the cops in Ireland can only tell it's not taxed by looking at the disc.
    They have a gadget in the car now that reads your license plate number. Within seconds the car details appear and if it doesnt have any tax its flagged straight away and you will get pulled over.

Heres the good bit. If you have no tax or insurance now, they can tow the car to the impound. If not retrieved they crush it.
    If I were you I wouldn't worry too much about driving it around in Ireland without UK tax for a while, so long you are properly insured. If you get stopped you'll have to explain about why you haven't VRT'd it but I reckon you'll be Ok and it's unlikely you'll get pulled, unless it's an exceptionally flash motor on UK plates...

• Advertisement

i am drivin it around in the Uk ya see i am going to college over here so trying to get sorted and need a car ya see..........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Your irish insurance will be null & void as you have to be permanemtly resident in Ireland to have irish insurance, You'll probably get a cheaper deal in England anyway!! Besides the english tax office wont tax the car on an irish cert & visa versa.
    Why are you using irish insurance company anyway??

As i said.....I have 28 days left in my Irish Insurance and i need my ncb to get insured in the Uk thats why...If i cancel it now i loss a years Ncb..Also if you read what i said,the DVLA did say i could tax it with a Irish Cert thats what i am waiting for.....

Keith C wrote:
    Why are you using irish insurance company anyway??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

I had a similar situation, but the other way round. What I did was to drive it, but have as much paperwork on me as possible, It was game ball.
    Not offering any legal opinion, mind. Any coppers I met were understanding, but you could be less lucky.

Advertisement