Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting phone/broadband for first time

• 13-09-2006 10:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking to install broadband - probably from BT. (eircom and BT are the only options in my area)

Situation is that I'm in a newly built house with a phone point but I don't have a phone number.

To get broadband can I contact BT directly or do I have to get eircom to turn the phone line on first (and will they charge me for that) ?

I'm concerned that I'll end up with eircom trying to set me up as their phone and bband provider and that I'll have to go through a switchover process to get to BT. Any tips to avoid hassle appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Trevord wrote:
    Hi,

Looking to install broadband - probably from BT. (eircom and BT are the only options in my area)

Situation is that I'm in a newly built house with a phone point but I don't have a phone number.

To get broadband can I contact BT directly or do I have to get eircom to turn the phone line on first (and will they charge me for that) ?

I'm concerned that I'll end up with eircom trying to set me up as their phone and bband provider and that I'll have to go through a switchover process to get to BT. Any tips to avoid hassle appreciated.
    Order a phoneline from eircom. Don't mention Broadband.

If there is actually a phoneline into the house, then connection will be free. (Go to www.eircom.ie, click on "Products & Services" then "Phone Lines" for details).

Once the line is installed, you'll have to wait a week or two for it to be tested for broadband. Once it passes, then order your broadband from BT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Trevord

I'd like to get the BT 35 euro 1MB broadband + line rental offer.

Think if I avail of the free line connection from Eircom - I'd be committed to paying them line rental for 6 months which would mean the BT package I want would not be of use.

Is it straight forward to get a phone line commissioned by eircom (without ever then becoming an eircom customer) and then join BT directly for line rental and internet ?

As far as I can see it costs 50 euro to get connected if your home is prewired.

I know it's Ireland but surely it can't be too complicated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

You can get wireless broadband in Cork and Galway (cities) from Digiweb. Are you sure this is not available to you? Saves getting a phone line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Word of warning, BT Ireland's billing system is a disaster, I cancelled my account with them 3 months ago, only to recently find they had failed to cancel the standing order to my bank a/c and repay my deposit.

Trevord wrote:
    Think if I avail of the free line connection from Eircom - I'd be committed to paying them line rental for 6 months which would mean the BT package I want would not be of use.
    There is no minimum contract for getting a phoneline. Eircom don't really care whether they get the line rental from you or from BT, they're going to get the money either way.

The only 6 month minimum is if you sign up for eircom broadband.
    Is it straight forward to get a phone line commissioned by eircom (without ever then becoming an eircom customer) and then join BT directly for line rental and internet ?
    You can't get a phone line commissioned in Ireland without becoming a customer of eircom. Full Stop. Just get your phone line, get your eircom account number, and then contact BT to order broadband. (Note that eircom say they'll send you an e-mai with your account number within 24 hours of activating the line, so make sure that you give them a working e-mail address when you request the phoneline).
    As far as I can see it costs 50 euro to get connected if your home is prewired.
    Unless you already have a phoneline, it's currently free to get a line that is already in place "activated" (either a cancelled line, or a new house/apt that is "prewired). See the page on eircoms website that I pointed you to above. If the house is not currently connected to eircoms network, it'll cost €121.93 to have a phoneline ru to the house.
    I know it's Ireland but surely it can't be too complicated.
    It's not. But it is a 2 step process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Trevord

Yes looked at eircom website and seems to me that free installation applies if you agree to pay eircom the monthly rental charge of 25 euro. If you go through the online ordering process that seems to be the case.

As I said I had been looking at BT in which case if I pay eircom the line rental I'd be paying 45 euro a month (eircom 25 euro for the line and BT 20 euro for the bband) in order to have 1mb broadband. The same deal is available through BT alone for 35 euro.

I suppose I could always take the eircom free line connection offer and combine it with their line rental and broadband but the cheapest eircom always on package seems to be what 54 euro ?

Trevord wrote:
    Yes looked at eircom website and seems to me that free installation applies if you agree to pay eircom the monthly rental charge of 25 euro. If you go through the online ordering process that seems to be the case.
    You have to pay for your first months line rental. Eircom won't give you a phone line if you don't. Once you have the phoneline, you contact BT, and transfer the line rental over to them.
    As I said I had been looking at BT in which case if I pay eircom the line rental I'd be paying 45 euro a month (eircom 25 euro for the line and BT 20 euro for the bband) in order to have 1mb broadband. The same deal is available through BT alone for 35 euro.
    Uh-huh. You can only get the BT offer if you already have a working eircom line. When you have a working eircom line, you transfer the line rental to BT, and get your broadband and line rental from BT for an all in price of €35.
    I suppose I could always take the eircom free line connection offer and combine it with their line rental and broadband but the cheapest eircom always on package seems to be what 54 euro ?
    Whatever. You could just get your free connection from eircom and transfer it to BT. That's what most of the people reading this thread would have decided to do by now (reading the same thing 7 or 8 times is bound to have gotten through to most of them).

This is beginning to remind me of those [URL="rtsp://streaming2.rte.ie/2006/0906/06092006rte-newsatone.rm?start=08:49&end=09:18"]radio ads for NTL TV[/URL].

Advertisement