Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I thought the Gardai where doing thier jobs. :/

Options
  • 13-09-2006 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

I honestly thought the Gardai blitz was getting rid of the idiots on the road. Turns out they were all just on holiday (the bad drivers, not the Gardai).

Taking the left lane on the roundabout up near Santry (coolock Lane) a truck in front of me going slow. Not a problem I am safe distance behind the truck to brake.

The guy behind me not having any of it feels the need to try and overtake on the roundabout. Pulling out behind me forcing another guy in the right lane to brake he then accelerates ahead.

At this time the truck driver feels the need to turn right (in the left lane) to head to the motor way, forcing the other car brake but not before trying to get in front of me by literally looking like he was trying to force me off the road. He slams his brakes to avoid smacking into the side of the truck and I swerve to the left to avoid him and drive on. Off the roundabout now he turns back in behind me again pretty close WHILE READING A NEWSPAPER. I kid you fuking not. He proceeded to read the newspaper through 2 sets of lights and the road that leads up to Ballymun from Santry at which point we parted ways.

Then the M50 hard shoulder may for all intents and purposes be another fast lane as there were numerous people driving full speed along this.

At one point a range rover causes a huge delay as they had to brake after p!ssing along the hard shoulder to where the traffic comes onto the M50 from Finglas. Probably trying to merge his way onto the other hard shoulder.

I see the roads are back to normal again. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Big Nelly has a point there (and I normally find him too strident for my tastes). Report incidents like this. In the last year or two, I've started to make complaints about lots of things. Food, parking fines, traffic etc. Sometimes it bears fruit, sometimes it doesn't, but at least you've said your bit.

on an aside, driving from Cork to Dublin the weekend before last, a woman in an old Ford Fiesta cut into my lane in front of me on the roundabout at the end of the Lower Glanmire Road. Not so bad, it happens sometimes, except for the fact that she did the exact same on a roundabout at Cashel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Hobbes wrote:
    Then the M50 hard shoulder may for all intents and purposes be another fast lane as there were numerous people driving full speed along this.

que abuse about "Fast lane" comment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

dudara wrote:
    Big Nelly has a point there (and I normally find him too strident for my tastes). Report incidents like this. In the last year or two, I've started to make complaints about lots of things. Food, parking fines, traffic etc. Sometimes it bears fruit, sometimes it doesn't, but at least you've said your bit.

Sorry man deleted it because I am getting less aggressive in my old age, anyway my point was that whats the point in coming onto boards and cry about the Garda/bad drivers etc when nothing will get done.

The same driver will do the exact same thing the next day and you will have someone else come on here and start the same thing, ring the bloody Garda and tell them, if the driver was going so long reading the paper the Garda would have no problems catching up with him and arresting him/points etc. I bet the complainer here at any stage tried to ring the garda!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Granted while I can rat out the newspaper guy it is almost impossible to get any license plate when you have people going by you at 100km+ in the hard shoulder. (anyway I don't have a handsfree yet in my car).

In that instance just sticking a traffic cop in the laybys or at the points along the hard shoulders would catch the majority of these muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Big Nelly wrote:
    whats the point in coming onto boards and cry about the Garda/bad drivers etc when nothing will get done.

'cos it's good to share the experience, and it odes the rest of us into making a formal complaint. I have used the Garda trafficwatch line twice now thanks to hearing from previous Boardsies here - previously I'd have just 'got over' whatever was happening (buslane mis-use, hardshoulder misuse)

BTW one road you are GUARANTEED to have gobshytes overtaking on the buslane, overtaking on solid white lines: the new road between Ongar and Blanchardstown. It's marked as 50kph, but it's accepted that 60kph is fine, yet when you drive at that speed you will always always have someone tailgate you and pass you on the buslane.

• Advertisement

Hobbes wrote:
    Granted while I can rat out the newspaper guy it is almost impossible to get any license plate when you have people going by you at 100km+ in the hard shoulder. (anyway I don't have a handsfree yet in my car).

In that instance just sticking a traffic cop in the laybys or at the points along the hard shoulders would catch the majority of these muppets.

Do you want a Garda on every layby etc waiting for one muppet to drive by, this is not possible and thats why it is the responsibilty of drivers on the road to report them.

BTW one road you are GUARANTEED to have gobshytes overtaking on the buslane, overtaking on solid white lines: the new road between Ongar and Blanchardstown. It's marked as 50kph, but it's accepted that 60kph is fine, yet when you drive at that speed you will always always have someone tailgate you and pass you on the buslane.

I use that road most days and the majority of people you do meet on it are gobshytes, 10-30Kmph is the usual clown you have in front of you without a care in the world. I have ended up taking other roads to try and get away from these clowns but there seems to be an abundance of them in this area. Garda have never stopped me doing the 60Kmph but I did see them pull a guy that had to be doing 70-80Kmph one day which is right but they should also pull the clown going no where and blocking the whole road up

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

franksm wrote:

The 50kph speed limit on that road is absolutely insane.

You'll get a lot of boy racers out that part as well. It is Dublin 15 after all.

Stark wrote:

You'll get a lot of boy racers out that part as well. It is Dublin 15 after all.

Wats wrong with D15? Think you will find there is alot of the boy racers gone form D15 now, you still have a few muppets but I dont know any in my area.

The speed limit is a joke but the garda know this, was doing 60kmph down there yesterday on the way back from a meeting and a garda bike came up behind me and passed me and not a word, everyone in front of me was doing the same and he just passed us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Big Nelly wrote:
    Do you want a Garda on every layby etc waiting for one muppet to drive by, this is not possible and thats why it is the responsibilty of drivers on the road to report them.

It wasn't one muppet. There was easily 30 or more cars p!ssing down the hard shoulder this morning. and I'm not talking about wanting to turn off they were using it as thier own personal roadway. As they try to merge up with the Finglas entryway it snarls up the traffic even worse and making it serious driving hazard.

One Gardai traffic car stationed at any point on the hard shoulder of the M50 this morning would of caught most if not all of them. Heck they could even use the cameras they put up.
    10-30Kmph is the usual clown you have in front of you without a care in the world.

Depends a lot on where you are. A lot of places that would be around the speed limit.

Hobbes wrote:
    It wasn't one muppet. There was easily 30 or more cars p!ssing down the hard shoulder this morning. and I'm not talking about wanting to turn off they were using it as thier own personal roadway. As they try to merge up with the Finglas entryway it snarls up the traffic even worse and making it serious driving hazard.

One Gardai traffic car stationed at any point on the hard shoulder of the M50 this morning would of caught most if not all of them. Heck they could even use the cameras they put up.

If there was so many then why didnt you ring the Garda and tell them?
    Hobbes wrote:
    Depends a lot on where you are. A lot of places that would be around the speed limit.

Read back its a specific road in Blanch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Its hard for young people learning to drive when all they see is clowns on the road doing stuff like this every day, it only promotes bad driving for the next generation. Its the small things that people are doing incorrectly that breeds the kind of driving culture over here and putting up with it instead of reporting it only lets people continue doing it.

Big Nelly wrote:
    Wats wrong with D15? Think you will find there is alot of the boy racers gone form D15 now, you still have a few muppets but I dont know any in my area.

They're all over the place in my area. I live in one of the ****tier parts though. Thank Christ I'm out of there soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Stark wrote:

Yes it is.. like so many other roads in this country.. I use it a lot.. i never do 50kph on it... unless im stuck behind someone... never undertake on the bus lane. At most.. if there is someone VERY slow when i get to the next traffic lights the bus lane becomes a normal lane for a bit so i will pull in there and get past them. Rarely though do i need to.

Saruman wrote:
    Yes it is.. like so many other roads in this country.. I use it a lot.. i never do 50kph on it... unless im stuck behind someone... never undertake on the bus lane. At most.. if there is someone VERY slow when i get to the next traffic lights the bus lane becomes a normal lane for a bit so i will pull in there and get past them. Rarely though do i need to.

Yeah thats the only good thing, if you have the slow driver just wait the 5 secs for the next traffic lights and move around them, also(which I found strange) you can pass out on this road so you dont need to undertake, have seen a few people who dont realise this

They're all over the place in my area. I live in one of the ****tier parts though. Thank Christ I'm out of there soon.

Moving up to the better part? will warn the neighbourhood watch:D

Slightly better. Moving close enough to Castleknack:"Knacks in castles". Actually I think Ashtown sounds better. :p

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

On my way home this evening, heading Northbound from Dundrum on the M50 (where traffic was much worse than usual) I saw a blue passat tearing up the hard shoulder and suddenly pull in front of the car to my left.
    A few metres on a biker garda standing in the HS was visible pointing at the passat & pulled him over.
    Very satisfying!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Any chance it was the same blue passat that overtook me on the buslane in Galway a few minutes ago? 98MN1*33? Was speeding to pass me, too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Considering the cynical way the gardai are cashing in on the likes of the M50 roadworks, the OP is dead right to fight it. If we all fought harder, they'd be less likely to engage in cash cow policing.
    Good luck to him.

Advertisement