Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Patience for Learner Drivers

Options
  • 13-09-2006 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Was just wondering if anyone else knows of anything like this happening.

My girlfriend is learning to drive for the first time, a major achievement as she had a very serious car accident when she was younger. I gave her some lessons and now she's getting pro lessons twice a week, and is so happy with her progress as she never thought she'd drive a car. It's really boosted her confidience.

Last night though, she was in the instructors car driving around Renmore housing estate in Galway when some knacks in a Glanza burberry-mobile started following her around the estate, revving their engine an blowing their horn to put her off! That phazed her pretty badly but to make it worse, when heading back to Oranmore, she was trying to turn right after the traffic lights that lead onto the Coast Road when she stalled the car. She hadn't even managed to re-start the car when some arse behind her started blowing and waving his arms about. She had managed to get the car moving again and made the turn when the guy behind her (red estate with Polish plates) pulled up alongside her and drove on the wrong side of the road, blowing his horn and screaming obscene sh*t at her. Even her instructor was flipping this guy the bird andcalling him a wa&*ker!

The car is kitted out with HUGE learner driver plates and appeals to be patient! Are these people retarded?

She came back from the lesson crying and worried that all the progress that she has made has been wiped away by some Polish fecker who has no patience, consideration and prob no insurance or tax either. She says she'd know the car if she saw it agan, it was headed for Oranmore. I'm a peaceful guy but if I spotted the car and was sure he was in it, I'd be hard pressed not to introduce a tyre iron to all his windows and prob his face.

Everyone has to learn somewhere and some people are naturally nervous and others have had bad experiences in cars an are therefore constantly worried and nervous while driving.

GOD I'M SO PI$$ED OFF AT THAT GUY!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I would always have loads of patience for people out in those cars with the huge L-signs etc. They might be fustratingly slow etc, but they're learning.

I hope that this doesn't put your gf off too much from driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Those who drive left-hookers should be particularly polite.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I dont why people have this attitude towards learner drivers.

It was the same when I was learning to drive. I remember I bought my first car in Laytown Louth and had to bring it back to Monaghan, went into Drogheda no bother, then I came to the traffic lights on a little hill. I was the first at the lights. Well can you guess how many times i stalled it....9 times.

People behind where beeping there horns etc and this nice old man right behind got out of his car tapped on the window when the lights where red and asked me was I ok.

I told him I had just bought the car, its was my first one and I had only been driving about two months, ie (14 lessons in total).

He said dont worry about them behind you,you just take your time and relax and go when you feel capable. He said press the accelator and let the clutch out slowly and the car will move, I knew all this but the fact is, I got nervous with the people beeping etc.

So I done that and on the 10th attempt I was away, revving the car, it shot off like a bolt of lighting, but that old man stayed beside me till I got moving giving me words of encourage and trying to relax me and calm me down. I ll always remember that.

I always give learner drivers loads of move and time. we where all in the same at some stage, its pure ignorance when people act like a prick. Sounds like your gf as come along way, she should be proud of herself and dont let this her down.

Sadly its apart of everyday Irish driving.

I went to England for two weeks where driving standards where ok but not great but there wasnt the same about of road rage as you experience here.

Get back on the horse is my advice....

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭marcphisto

The dude is a wanker and to be ignored.

All you can do really is to try to keep her confidence up.

My GF also learnt to drive recently. She had her setbacks but has persevered and for a learner is a pretty competent driver at this stage, even though she is still on her first provisional.

Get her to practice, practice, practice. It's the only way.

She's probably still at the stage where the mechanics of driving is still an issue for her. The more practice she gets, the more automatic these will become.

On an aside, almost everytime I drive my own car after driving my GF's car I stall it (different clutch biting point) and I've been driving for 18 years!

(christ I'm old)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

I had my first lesson last night, driving around finglas and glasnevin. Stalled the car 2 or 3 times but nothing too serious. Its nerve racking to say the least when you are just getting started and its nice to see people who have time for learners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

kluivert wrote:
    He said dont worry about them behind you,you just take your time and relax and go when you feel capable. He said press the accelator and let the clutch out slowly and the car will move, I knew all this but the fact is, I got nervous with the people beeping etc.

People are idiots. You'd think they'd have some cop on that the more they beep, the more nervous the learner driver will be and the longer they'll have to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Everyone has been a learner at some point, I had a similar experience stalling the car on a hill at lights, took about 4 light changes to get going again :) And yes a lot of the cars behind me started beeping but I didn't let it phase me, I had L plates for a reason after all.

I remember one time I stalled about 15 times, and eventually had to let my dad into the driving seat :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

just try and get your gf to calm down about it. The instructor should have taken note of plates and reported them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

The instructor was embarressed afterwards, she would have got the plates but she was too buzy screaming at the ignorant fecker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Actually this is pretty much the norm, especially if your in an instructor car. Having an L plate for most driver means they can blow the fuk out of thier horn if you fail to respond within 0.5 seconds and dangerously cut you off while calling you a wanker out thier window.

I recall my driving lessons many moons ago and the instructor had said that what you described goes on daily with them, even when he is driving the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

I am a learner driver myself and people are so rude. I get people driving up my ass trying to scare me, even though I am doing the speed limit. I have found that taxi drivers are the worst and are so impatient. One time I had just stopped at a roundabout as a car was coming from the right, taxi driver behind me went nuts and started beeping and screaming at me. I could not go as there was a car coming from the right. I kept my cool and went when it was safe to do so. What is wrong with people?? We all have to start off somewhere and its nerve racking enough without the likes of taxi drivers, boy racers ect making it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

yep it’s unfortunate, I see loads of G0bsh1ts like that; I give L-Drivers plenty of leeway but you always get some ejit who’ll roar by blasting their horn, or weaving back and forth behind the L-Driver flashing their lights.
    IMO these people need to be assessed, as I wonder how they got a license in the first place….
    Hopefully it won’t put your girlfriend off driving :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

guys this is not in any way directed at your girlfriend (fair play to her for getting out there and biting the bullit and learning) or anyone in particular but do you ye really think someone who stalls their car should be driving out on a public road? Once in a bluemoon fine but if someone is learning and out driving on public roads and stalling their car at every traffic lights shouldnt they be perfecting their technique first?

My attitude is that it doesnt matter who's driving a car, male/female, young/old, learner/fully licenced, they are in possesion of a loaded weapon on the road and should all be treated alike. I personally dont treat learner drivers any differenently than any other car, if they are good enough to be on public roads then they need to be able to drive at a standard good enough for public roads. I havent forgotten what it was like to learn to drive a car either its just that only learners who are at an advanced stage should be driving on busy public roads, stalling a car is a sure sign that youre not ready for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

lol, I'm soon to start driving and sounds like it's going to be a laugh. I'll have to stick to the quiet residential roads.

cpoh1 wrote:
    guys this is not in any way directed at your girlfriend (fair play to her for getting out there and biting the bullit and learning) or anyone in particular but do you ye really think someone who stalls their car should be driving out on a public road? Once in a bluemoon fine but if someone is learning and out driving on public roads and stalling their car at every traffic lights shouldnt they be perfecting their technique first?

That's why we have dual control instructor cars for people to learn in.

His girlfriend is to be commended for going through the whole process the right way by starting with instructor-led lessons, not subjected to a poorly disguised "****ing learner, shouldn't be allowed on the road" rant.

Learning the technique for starting a car is relatively simple. It's learning how to stay relaxed and do it correctly in a real traffic situation that's hard. You can only prepare so much for that.
    cpoh1 wrote:
    I havent forgotten what it was like to learn to drive a car either its just that only learners who are at an advanced stage should be driving on busy public roads, stalling a car is a sure sign that youre not ready for that.

And you've never once stalled a car on a public road? Never? Never ever? If you say yes, then I'll assume your telling porkies. Even experienced drivers stall a car from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Hi cpoh1
    This was the only stall she had in weeks
    He could obviously see that it was a person under instruction.

Also, the instructor themselves wouldn't have taken her on the public roads unless they thought she was capable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Stark wrote:
    That's why we have dual control instructor cars for people to learn in.

His girlfriend is to be commended for going through the whole process the right way by starting with instructor-led lessons, not subjected to a poorly disguised "****ing learner, shouldn't be allowed on the road" rant.

Learning the technique for starting a car is relatively simple. It's learning how to stay relaxed and do it correctly in a real traffic situation that's hard. You can only prepare so much for that.

And you've never once stalled a car on a public road? Never? Never ever? If you say yes, then I'll assume your telling porkies. Even experienced drivers stall a car from time to time.

Yup as I said in my original post, my point was not directly related to the gentlemans girlfriend and she is to be commended for getting out there and learning (like I mentioned). All this doesnt take from the fact that practice makes perfect and someone needs to perfect their starts before hitting busy public roads (and I disagree 100% with your comment that learning how to stay relaxed is the problem, in my opinion if someone practices enough (off the major public roads) so that theyre comfortable with the clutch and takeoff then traffic stalling will never be an issue). Learner drivers have every right to be on the road, however its their own responsibility to be up to a suitable standard where other road users have to suffer and are a danger not just to themselves but to others.

And yes I do stall my car at least once a month, ive got a triple plate exedy clutch and 4kg flywheel in my car, you try hill starting that :D

@hamsterboy as I said this point has nothing to do with your girlfriends situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Stark wrote:

Exactly... everyone stalls.. unless they drive automatic.. you could be in gear waiting for the lights to change as they will any second then oops not enough gas and you have to start her up again. Or you could have wet feet and your foot slips off the clutch... innocent.. anyone driving for a living will even do it some times.

Anyway back on topic... i have patience for learners... though i will overtake when its safe to do so and will not cause them to panic... i treat them like a horse :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

I have all the time in the day for learners who are being properly instructed in suitable cars.

Women in their late teens/early 20s who are driving solo and dont have a clue what they're doing deserve no tolerance, only caution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

commited wrote:
    Women in their late teens/early 20s who are driving solo and dont have a clue what they're doing deserve no tolerance, only caution.

What about men in their late teens early 20s doing the same? Are they OK? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

I generally find its only women who seem to have the problem of not having a clue what they are doing. I'm not being sexist at all - my girlfriend has said it to me several times also.
    But I agree, I have no tolerance for any drivers driving solo when they should not be doing so.
    I went to Cork and back today - all the worst driving was done by women with L-plates up. One had 3 unbelted kids in the back and she was driving about a metre from the car in front. Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Stark wrote:
    I remember one time I stalled about 15 times, and eventually had to let my dad into the driving seat :)
    Think we've all been down that road, the first time I drove a motorbike (after ~15 mins of lessons from a friend) I stalled it at traffic lights & could not get it going again. Eventually to my great embarrassment, I had to push it over to the side where after many many goes finally got the engine running again. :o Luckily I was wearing a helmet so nobody could see my blushes!

Personally I'd never start beeping the horn to someone with an L plate unless they're about to reverse into me or something.

committed wrote:
    One had 3 unbelted kids in the back and she was driving about a metre from the car in front. Nice.

Ooh, that could have made a cool Darwin award.

"The award goes to xxx who not only removed herself from the genepool but was kind enough to clean up her previous contaminations".

• Registered Users Posts: 34,870 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

opus wrote:
    Think we've all been down that road, the first time I drove a motorbike (after ~15 mins of lessons from a friend)

So after 15 mins you thought you were good to go out on the road?
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

I sympathise completely with the original poster. But the learner driver issue in Ireland is a really strange one. A lot of people are getting few or no lessons, and hopping in the car with a provisional license, on their own. Because there are so many people doing this, public opinion is with them. Some of them make a decent job of driving, a lot of them don't. Why should someone who has made little to no effort to learn properly, be excempt from critcism?

Gerry wrote:
    Why should someone who has made little to no effort to learn properly, be excempt from critcism?

The topic is about people in instructor cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

been driving about 2 months and am out on the roads everyday. Have never stalled at the lights/roundabouts/pressure situations in my own car and just use the clutch and accelerator at hills now. (i find it easier to take off than handbraking).

it is all about confidence and you can only build confidence by getting out on the roads and going through lights time after time without stalling, going up hills without stalling....

it's very different in quiet estates doing a hillstart and being on a busy road with a traffic jam behind you on a friday afternoon. It's all about how well you can handle pressure too.

Stall once in a while and you can put it down as a fluke, stall twice and perhaps you can't handle the pressure... stall 3 times and you really shouldn't be on the road.

you get idiots who will speed up behind you, cut you off, basically do nothing but put pressure on you to speed up.

I have to say though, instructor's do slow things WAY down. i mean on my own i'd be slightly over the speed limit usually (by 5km/hr) but when with an instructor on the same stretch of road i could be 10/15km/hr under!

totally unecessary and i do nothing but slow up everyone behind me :rolleyes: i hate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

smemon wrote:
    I have to say though, instructor's do slow things WAY down. i mean on my own i'd be slightly over the speed limit usually (by 5km/hr) but when with an instructor on the same stretch of road i could be 10/15km/hr under!

I'm surprised by that, the instructors I had would encourage you to drive at the speed limit ,if safe to do so, so you are making reasonable progress.
    jd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

jd wrote:
    I'm surprised by that, the instructors I had would encourage you to drive at the speed limit ,if safe to do so, so you are making reasonable progress.
    jd

no, i'd always be slightly under. What really does my nut in is when turning. I literally slow down to the point where i nearly have to put the car in 1st gear before turning. Completely unecessary and that again slows traffic up behind me.

if i were on my own i'd probably be in 3rd gear, with the traffic behind me flowing smoothly.

what i'm trying to say is that doing things the correct way isn't the best way imo. if everyone drove like a learner driver during a test, the roads would be much slower and more congested at junctions.

I salute drivers who fly on at stop signs or turn off in 3rd/4th gear when nothing is coming as it stops me and everyone else slowing down and clutching and keeps things ticking for everyone. It's common sense and keeps things flowing.

Advertisement