Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Silver" (colour) as Geailge?

• 13-09-2006 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Can someone tell me the Irish for "Silver" (as in the colour silver, not the airgead).

I'm using it in the context of "Silver Fox" = "Sinnoch Silver".... ?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

Can someone tell me the Irish for "Silver" (as in the colour silver, not the airgead).

I'm using it in the context of "Silver Fox" = "Sinnoch Silver".... ?

Thanks,

The Irish word for 'silver' is 'airgead'. And yes, it is same word as 'money' in Irish. Apparently the word 'airgead' comes from the Latin 'argentum', which means both 'money' and 'silver'.

However The other thing to be considered is that 'silver' isn't really used in that manner in Irish(i.e. to denote a white/grey colour)as it is in English. In an Irish language context, 'Sionnach Airgid' would be taken to mean 'A Fox made of Silver', not 'A Fox of Silver Colour'.

It's more usual to use a word like 'Geal' in that context. 'An Sionnach Geal' for instance. So I would recommend you use 'Geal' instead of 'Airgead'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sixty_Niner

Thanks Gael... thats interesting... but one last question, what specifically does "Geal" actually mean? Whats the best translation of it into English.

As an alternative workaround "Grey Fox" would also be appropriate for me....

Ger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I'm pretty sure 'geal' would mean 'bright'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

qz wrote:
    I'm pretty sure 'geal' would mean 'bright'.

Yup! Bright or light coloured. Grey would be 'liath'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭aonfocaleile

Geal is the appropriate word methinks. It is also used in the term white wine. Literal translation would be fian bán but the correct term is fian geal.

An tsionnach geal - the silver fox - see below taken from An foclóir beag;

geal [aidiacht den chéad díochlaonadh]
    ar dhath an tsneachta nó an aoil; ar dhath an airgid; cosúil le solas an lae nó na gréine; glan, sona; áthasach, geanúil (anam geal, gáire geal, a ghrá geal, is geal an scéal liom é).

• Advertisement
Advertisement