Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PVC Door

Options
  • 13-09-2006 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Was just wondering if anyone could tell me whether its possible to buy PVC door Systems which would have 2 keys
    Basically, if you imagine it being used for say a snooker club with a private membership or something, all members would have keys to the door, but, the door has to be capable of being locked to these members outside of opening hours, meaning the nees for a separate lock, such as a deadbolt, and this key would be held by a few select people.
    Does anyone know of any company which would be able to supply such a door, or alternatively would it be possible to have such a lock mechanism retro fitted to an existing PVC door.
    The door has to be PVC because any door used previously has whethered very badly, resulting in swelling and warping every couple of months, even with proper maintenance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

I would get a steel door customised with 2 locks

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Hi armchairninja

I posted a similar question only a few weeks ago regarding UPVC doors and fitting an extra lock. Looks like that it would be very dificult to do and most of the web sites dont recommend fitting a rim lock to pvc doors. I would first ask a local locksmith if he can do this before purchasing a door or what about fitting pad lock to the outside. Its a bit crude but does the job.

regards

Garyh3

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭armchairninja

I would get a steel door customised with 2 locks

Ye, thinking about that, but it wouldn't really be asthetically pleasing and it would be a bit heavy too.

would it be possible to have a steel door made to look like a normal door and for it to have the multi point looking espangolette locks fitted?

Cheers garyh3,
    thats the sort of feedback i was hoping for, so its basically next to impossile as i thought it might be, maybe an eterior cage or something which can be closed over might work instead of the pad lock, it would be a bit stronger too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

I have seen steel doors where u would not know they were steeel, natural wood look, c/w panels, dont ask me for a name:)
    If it is well hung, sorry hung properly, weight is not an issue.

As regards the multilock, what I have instead are complex hinges which have a male and female side so when the door closes the hinge "mates" together and stops the door from being levered up or out.
    If it is well hung, sorry hung properly, weight is not an issue.

In term of locks I would but one in the middle for the maim use and then one top and bottom, with the same key but different to the middle one

Needles to say I the head and jambs should be steel also.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Hi All,
    Was just wondering if anyone could tell me whether its possible to buy PVC door Systems which would have 2 keys
    Basically, if you imagine it being used for say a snooker club with a private membership or something, all members would have keys to the door, but, the door has to be capable of being locked to these members outside of opening hours, meaning the nees for a separate lock, such as a deadbolt, and this key would be held by a few select people.
    Does anyone know of any company which would be able to supply such a door, or alternatively would it be possible to have such a lock mechanism retro fitted to an existing PVC door.
    The door has to be PVC because any door used previously has whethered very badly, resulting in swelling and warping every couple of months, even with proper maintenance

YES I think it can be done...and here's why.
    3 or 4 yrs back my sister in law bought a house in new estate in Lusk (scholars walk). She only stayed there 2 yrs so I cant get you names. but here's the story. The front doors were made of a composit material (you know what I mean, not wood, not plastic, more like plastic wood..very common a couple of yrs ago) and the lock system was exactly like the UPVC ...metal strip all along locking side of door with 3 point locking. After closing door pulling up on handle locked the door...same as PVC door. For added security a carpenter call to all houses offering to install a second lock. worked well. The second lock was "night latch" type. So I suggest a visit to good locksmith or door conpany ...just for info on where night latch can be fitted.
    Hopes this helpes
    t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,408 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

tapest wrote:
    The front doors were made of a composit material (you know what I mean, not wood, not plastic, more like plastic wood..very common a couple of yrs ago)

That would be uPVC. So if the additional lock was possible a few years ago, it should be now.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭armchairninja

thanks for all the feedback,
    only problem is that if we were to get a lock on it, we are worried it may in some way interfere with the locking mechanism for the espangolette lock, considering its a mechanism that runs the length of the door, adding a lock to it anywhere may damage this, either by putting screws in the wrong place or by actually severing part of the mechanism, anyway, il look in to it

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

thanks for all the feedback,
    only problem is that if we were to get a lock on it, we are worried it may in some way interfere with the locking mechanism for the espangolette lock, considering its a mechanism that runs the length of the door, adding a lock to it anywhere may damage this, either by putting screws in the wrong place or by actually severing part of the mechanism, anyway, il look in to it

That is the exact point I was trying to make. Although it was not the usual UPVC door the lock mechanism was the same. And fitting of the "night Latch" / "Yale" lock type did not interfere with original multi point lock which did run the whole length of door. I'm trying to avoid ambiguity here but if I have failed, post again
    t

• Registered Users Posts: 39,408 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The wood efect doors, are uPVC, exactly the same as the white ones. There isn't a single diference outside of colour and texture. So I one was fitted without problem then th should still be possible.
    Is the night latch/yale lock used only as a night latch, ie locks from the inside for extra security, or can it be locked and unlock from the outside, as I imagine that would affect the OPs requirements.

Advertisement