Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Submitting for Prov License?

Options
  • 13-09-2006 12:26pm

Silly question I know. :o But do I have to physically go into the Motor tax office to submit my provisional license documentation, or can I post them into the office>?

I'd rather not have to take the time out of work to go into the office at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Fairly certain you can post em in. Their number is 01 2228000, give em a ring and check (I was only on to them earlier today in case anyones wondering why I have the number handy) :D

lol. I hadn't thought of ringing them. bloody hell, i'm an idiot sometimes.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

You have to post in your passport though, which i'm iffy about.
    I was there today and it only took 5 minutes (could have been a once off!)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You have to post in your passport though
    No you don't. Having a passport is not a prerequisite to getting a driving licence here.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,873 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You can apply for or renew any driving licence by post (to your local Motor Tax Office)
    If it's a first provisional then at least you don't have to worry about not having a licence until you get the renewal back :)

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement

ninja900 wrote:
    If it's a first provisional then at least you don't have to worry about not having a licence until you get the renewal back :)
    But you don't have to worry about that as they give you a detailed receipt, when renewing, to produce if required by a Garda etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

No you don't. Having a passport is not a prerequisite to getting a driving licence here.

If you happen to be using the Q4U service, then they post it in on your behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

You can post it in, took me 3 weeks to get it though. You have to enclose either your passport or birth cert. with the form, along with 2 passport sized photos (your signature on the back), eyesight report form and the 15 euro fee...
    Think thats it!

sullivk wrote:
    You can post it in, took me 3 weeks to get it though. You have to enclose either your passport or birth cert. with the form, along with 2 passport sized photos (your signature on the back), eyesight report form and the 15 euro fee...
    Think thats it!
    If it's a provisional for categories C,C1,CE,C1E,D,D1,DE, D1E you will have to submit a medical form D501 also.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

Passport or birth cert is required to get a first licence. (Not to renew one though.)

The application form also mentiones other documents but they won't be accepted (it also says "at the discretion of the authority, or something along those lines.)

I think Garda Age Cards are accepted too, though.

Tommy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

skywalker wrote:
    Fairly certain you can post em in. Their number is 01 2228000, give em a ring and check (I was only on to them earlier today in case anyones wondering why I have the number handy) :D
    Erm, you have to go to your local council's motor tax office - that's for Dublin city and klaz says he's in Cork.

I made the mistake of going to Limerick city hall, forgetting that my house is like 20 metres away from the city border :mad:

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/provisional_driving_licence.html

• Registered Users Posts: 34,873 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

But you don't have to worry about that as they give you a detailed receipt, when renewing, to produce if required by a Garda etc.
    If you apply in person, yes.
    You won't get a receipt when applying by post, but that's no drawback for a 1st provisional.
    For a provisional renewal, or a full licence (1st or renewal) you have to send in your current or last licence, which is a bit of a problem if you do it by post and you want to drive in the meantime. I don't think they've got a solution to this yet.
    Erm, you have to go to your local council's motor tax office
    You have to apply to the correct motor tax office - but not necessarily in person.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Yeah, sorry I didn't mean physically "go" :(

ninja900 wrote:
    For a provisional renewal, or a full licence (1st or renewal) you have to send in your current or last licence, which is a bit of a problem if you do it by post and you want to drive in the meantime. I don't think they've got a solution to this yet.
    Any time I've had to submit my licence I got a photocopy of it first and used that at checkpoints. Never had any bother from Ireland's finest. They do understand that people need to submit licences for renewals or to have categories added.

Advertisement