Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Simple, Cheap 17" laptop. Does it exist?

• 13-09-2006 12:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    my friend wants to get a laptop to use for basically just browsing the net, burning dvds from his camcorder and playing poker online. Playing poker is the only obstacle as this will require quite a big screen with high resolution. The cheaper the laptop the better. My search wont work but I remember a thread on a Toshiba laptop for about €400 that got some good feedback. Can anyone point me to that thread please?

He will want wireless capabilities and the other usual things, usb, ethernet, modem and all that. Also one of them slots for putting in the likes of a Vodafone broadband card incase he gets one of them.

If the 17" choice is too dear, it's always an option to just use a bigger monitor connected to the laptop.

If anyone has suggestions of a laptop that will do these simple tasks (he's not a gamer, movie editor, photoshopper or anything like that) I'd appreciate your recommendations in both a 17" or bigger screen, and then a smaller screen if the laptop is much cheaper (like the Toshiba one mentioned, not sure what the screen on that was).

:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I found the thread with the Toshiba. It was actually about €650, or €750 even. What's the best solution for a CHEAP laptop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

try ebay maybe, was looking at it myself, and the sellers all seem to have good ratings, not sure if i'm going to take the chance yet tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Im buying 3 laptops this weekend and found all of them on adverts varying from 300 to 500 for decent still in warranty laptops.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

I have the following for 500e if he's interested. New in box, never used. Not 17" obviously and no DVD burner.

Dell Inspiron 1300 Celeron M Processor 380 (1.60 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 400 MHz FSB)
    512MB, DDR2, 533MHz (2x256) ULD
    15.4 inch WXGA (1280x800) LCD Panel
    40GB HD
    24xCDRW/8xDVDComboDrive
    Dell Wireless 1370 802.11b/g Mini PCI
    etc., etc.

Advertisement