Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinions on dreads and where to get them done

• 13-09-2006 12:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭

As it says on the tin, what do people think of dreads and does anyone know where you cud get them done in dublin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

King Eric wrote:
    As it says on the tin, what do people think of dreads and does anyone know where you cud get them done in dublin
    Any of the Afro Caribbean hairdressers around town would probably be best. I think theres some on Moore Street and there's one down past Fibbers on Parnell Street. Personally don't like them except on the occasional Rastafarian. They stink as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

In all honesty, if you're thinking of getting dreads and find that you worry over what people will think of them, then maybe it's not the best option for you! That being said, I think they look awesome, and they can suit some people unbelievably well. As for where to get them done, the poster above me said just try the various hairdressers around town.

12.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

They can look good on the right person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Dreads=disgusting and ugly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I don't like them at all, they look absolutely filthy.
    Where you can get them done?I dunno.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Binomate wrote:
    They can look good on the right person.

I think you mean only look good on the right person..

If you haven't got the character to pull them off, then I wouldn't get them.. I think they look amazing, but I could never get them, because I wouldn't look right with them..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

They look bad on 98.5% of people. Are you in that 1.5% that it'll suit?
    Unlikely.

If you do decide to get them, I wish you good luck and hope that it works out for you (which it probably won't). Sorry to be harsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Stephanos

Aren't they meant to be bad for your hair/scalp. I have awful hair. It's like pubes - curly and thick. I would get dreads if I could. I think I'd look cool with them as an accountant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Stephanos wrote:
    Aren't they meant to be bad for your hair/scalp. I have awful hair. It's like pubes - curly and thick. I would get dreads if I could. I think I'd look cool with them as an accountant.
    You can't wash your hair when you have them hence they're bad for your hair. They also weight a ton.

They speed up the ol' receeding process too (apart from looking dirty and smelly) and I'd imagine they're a breeding ground for lice. No thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Dreadlocks - yuk!

I've always hated them. I think they look rank, and they smell icky too.. I feel repulsed if someone with dreads stands close to me. I've never seen anyone look good with dreads.

As far as I know, the only way to get rid of them is to shave your head. It might be worth getting them done, just for the endorphin rush when you get to shave your head and be rid of those filthy horrible things..

(But each to their own I suppose)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Doomspell

rb_ie wrote:
    They speed up the ol' receeding process too (apart from looking dirty and smelly) and I'd imagine they're a breeding ground for lice. No thanks.

As has been said before, they can look good on the right person. But the thought of not being able to wash my hair....ew!
    As to what rb_ie said, lice are only attracted to really clean hair e.g people who was their hair everyday or every second day. So if you do get dreadlocks, you'll never have to worry about lice.
    Good luck with the dreads though.

Oh and apart from my other feelings on dreadlocks, as has been said, they look crap on a overwhelming 99.9% of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭alantc

Where did you people read all this stuff?

You can wash your hair. You can't brush your hair. Washing your hair will help make your dreads tighter. You're supposed to use residue free shampoo. Internet-buy some.

If you want them done, do them yourself. You'll be pissed off ant anyone else's attempt. Be prepared to have half your head done for a week. Mine took about 20 minutes per dread but your arms get pretty tired holding them above your head for so long. First get your hair sectioned with elastic bands as if you were getting plaits but make the sections into dreads.

The blacks on parnell street are crap. I went to get mine prettied up a while ago and the guy wanted to charge me about €80 and was using dax wax and doing nothing I couldn't do at home myself.

Dreadlocks make no difference to you getting lice. You're only likely to get lice if you're around people who have lice. If you have dreads and get lice it will be harder to get rid of them but plenty of people have done it before. Just read some dreadlock sites to find out how.

You can also take them out if you don't like them. They're just tangled hair. There's nothing magical about them. It will take ages. Lash on a few movies and sit back with a metal tooth comb and a bin for the hair that comes loose. Because your hair is tangled, when a hair falls out at the root (as they do every day) it doesn't fall off your head. When you take your dreads out there'll be lots of these hairs.

I'm great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Dreadlocks - yuk!

I've always hated them. I think they look rank, and they smell icky too.. I feel repulsed if someone with dreads stands close to me. I've never seen anyone look good with dreads.

I thought my dreadlock phobia was weird, nice to find a fellow..."sufferer" :-)
    Dreadlocks physically repulse me, I can't stand next to someone with dreadlocks, they are just utterly vile! They also only look ok on Black people...for some reason proper rasta dreads look clean and not like the unkempt, smelly dirty mess you see on some crusty white people's heads.

Advertisement