Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sliding Shelves for Kitchen

Options
  • 13-09-2006 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭

G'day all,
    Next on my list of internal home improvements is converting the cupboard that stores brooms etc which is a complete waste of space in the kitchen, into a food cupboard.
    I have seen cupboards with a slide out chrome unit on which there are a number of shelves. Its a pretty big unit and I believe it comes in pieces which need to be assembled. Doesnt look like a big job in converting what I currently have with one of these sliders.
    I got one priced at a fitted kitchen places. And the unit (just the chrome part) is about €400. I think that this is a tad on the expensive side, especially since the unit is in pieces and the price does no include fitting it (which I will do myself anyway)
    Does anyone knoe if I can get this unit cheaper either online or elsewhere?
    Kippy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

we got a single chrome pull out drawer in B&Q for about €30, you could get a few of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭dools

Did you try The Panelling Centre

http://www.in-house.ie/styles.asp?cat=1&subcat=15

D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Cheers Dools, exactly what I was looking for.
    Cheers Greebo also, not exactly what I was looking for but it is something I might consider.
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

There is a lot of engineering in one of these. The assembly has to be able to take the full weight of the shelves and all your groceries, and it also has to run smoothly on a rail.

I have one from in-house/panelling centre, bought a few years ago. It works well. I can't remember how much we paid, but it was well worth it.

It is a great idea. Turns a basically useless space into a handy cupboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,408 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Funny you asked about this, only today I got a product leaflet from a company that supplies these.
    http://www.fff.ie/pdfs/fff-2-tall-units.pdf
    Thats from their website, they do two kinds of full height units from what I can see, one like the above from The Panelling Centre
    , and a newer model, that comes out the same, and then can rotate to allow better access. I had a little look but couldn't see any prices.

Is the paneling centre one €375. Or did I read a different one, I thought they wouldbe cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Whatever you do, dont go for the ones that look like this... (pic attached).
    eventually the springs loosen and you end up with something that flies back into the press like a rocket at the slightest touch and throws everything off the shelf.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

€400 isn't overly expensive for a full height pull out larder unit. The one from the Panelling center is listed at €375. I purchase these for my buisness and they cost up to €300 when purchased from trade suppliers. There are various manufacturers and quality standards, it may be possible to get them cheaper. There would be price savings if purchased in quantity.

Joe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭elqu

dools wrote:
    Did you try The Panelling Centre

http://www.in-house.ie/styles.asp?cat=1&subcat=15

D

thought the panelling centre was expensive enough, I was looking at getting a larger chrome unit for a larder cuboard adn they were looking for €675, its in B&Q for €385! :eek: Checked out the on floor model in B&Q and looks very similar and feels good and strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

be warned, B&Q make their stuff for their own presses/units

I thought I would be fine buying a pull out bin unit for a 600mm press
    turns out that yeah, the outside is 600mm but the B&Q presses have slightly wider inner dimensions so I had to make some adjustments to get it in and working.

I guess the walls of their units are wider than "normal".

Just something to be aware of.

Advertisement