Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows not genuine?

• 13-09-2006 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭

Hi there,
    Have just installed updates on two PCs at work, one is a Philips iQon and the other is a Dell Dimension.
    On both, we now get a message telling us that our copy of Windows is not genuine, yet on both PCs, it is the OS that was supplied with the PC from new? It's Win XP Home BTW...
    Is this something to be concerned about?

Del

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭far2gud

The serail numbers may have turned up on a warez site somewhere and microsoft has flagged it. Give them a call and they should issue you a new one, presuming you have the license that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Moving to Windows forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

whats the message you get when you go to the wga site?
    one of my machines failed because the bios clock was wrong.

howecer, generally its a product key issue
    do they have coa's printed on the side or do you have a full retail license?
    if you dont have either of the above you need to buy a legal copy of windows
    if you do then you need to reactivate windows using your valid product key -

backup your system before running regedit
    1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    3. In the left pane, locate and then click the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\WPAEvents
    4. In the right pane, right-click OOBETimer, and then click Modify.
    5. Change at least one digit of this value to deactivate Windows.
    6. Click Start, and then click Run.
    7. In the Open box, type the following command, and then click OK.
    %systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a
    8. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to activate Windows, and then click Next.
    9. Click Change Product key.
    10. Type the product key from the coa or license into the New key boxes, and then click Update.

activate windows and you should be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Sometimes that WGA can be very picky at times. I have had this issue a number of times when trying to use Windows Update. Give MS a call just to be sure.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you can use magic jellybean keyfinder to compare the serial number windows was installed with, to that on your COA

The COA one is the one you register with microsoft

there are tools to change your XP serial number , I can't find the link to doing it on the microsoft site, but that's really only useful if you are cloning machines

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

there are tools to change your XP serial number , I can't find the link to doing it on the microsoft site, but that's really only useful if you are cloning machines

theres no real tool for it,
    you change it by "pretending" to activate by phone.
    the steps in my post above are directly from the MS kb.
    they only post the steps for VL customers as under normal circumstances a retail customer will not be changing key without the help of an activation agent.
    the steps however are identical

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

subway - ta that's the link I was looking for http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=328874

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml allows you to change the key - it's based on the microsoft scripts
    http://www.skaro.net/cd-keyreader is another

Advertisement