Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killing Tree Stump and Roots

Options
  • 13-09-2006 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,
    I have recently cut down 2 trees in my front garden that were getting too big. I want to make sure the roots and the tree stump die. Has anyone got any ideas...other than Copper nails :) ?
    Thanks,
    Rob.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Steveo1983

Ive worked on a few jobs before with a landscaper where this had to be done. He cut slots in the top of the trunk about 2 inches deep with a chain saw and packed the holes with dax root out and sealed the trunk with pastic then. I think it takes a month or so to kill the roots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pc1949

Drill holes in stump mix root out or brush wood killer will small amount of Diesel
    as instructed on pack. Pour over holes in stump . Cover stump with plastic bag to keep rain out. Have done it many times and it works :D

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

Drill holes in stump mix root out or brush wood killer will small amount of Diesel
    as instructed on pack. Pour over holes in stump . Cover stump with plastic bag to keep rain out. Have done it many times and it works

I agree it worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

pc1949 wrote:
    as instructed on pack. Pour over holes in stump . Cover stump with plastic bag to keep rain out. Have done it many times and it works :D

"as instructed on what pack"??. Bloody fools, diesel or petrol should never be used for such purposes. Apart from being illegal, dangerous, toxic, it is also damn irresponsible to be promoting such practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 1nollaig1

"as instructed on what pack"??. Bloody fools, diesel or petrol should never be used for such purposes. Apart from being illegal, dangerous, toxic, it is also damn irresponsible to be promoting such practice.
    igot some brush wood killer last week. drill holes into the stump and pour in neat. cover over with plastic bag . it will work a treat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Manuel

Same subject, different question. Hijack, I suppose, although the original problem seems to have been solved ... So:

When rotivating and raking my front, I came upon what I thought was a buried branch of a tree. 18 inches and one broken shovel later, it appears to be a still-rooted tree/shrub. As it's more or less in the middle of the lawn, I thought I might just leave it there and give it a fighting chance. The trunk is about 5 inches diameter, and as I said, it seems to be well rooted. I've no idea what it is. Rather than kill it off, do you think it will manage to re-establish itself? Could it be dead? How would I know? It's been buried for at least a year.

Thanks,
    /M.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've cut down a few trees this year and I just spray lashings of Round-Up on the freshly cut stump and repeated once or twice. I cut them down early in the year and so far no shoots or any sign of of continued growth.

Advertisement