Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home recording software

Options
  • 13-09-2006 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hey all,
    I started to record music about 6 months ago now. I am using a Presonus firepod, a Sm 57 microphone and I was using a P.C running Sonar 5 Producer Edition. About a month ago I got a very good deal on a G4 Powerbook so I started to use Logic Pro 7 and Oh my god it is amazing. I was fustrated with fuzzing sounds, poor vocals and difficult mixing with Sonar, but now with Logic it is amazing and the results speak for themselves. Logic has a huge storehouse of loops, and sound samples from shakers to strings, and you can change the key of evey loop to suit your sound. If you enjoy home recording and are looking for better results I seriously recemend giving it a look. I am currently in the process of re-recording all my songs because I am so convinced of the results.
    I know there is always P.C v's Mac battles, but I really think Apple have this one whooped. (Althougth I still use Sonar for .mp3 converting, because the 'bounce' doesnt seem to work in Logic)
    If you want to hear what I mean take a look at my myspace below. The song 'Burn' is all done on Logic, while all the others are done using Sonar. Feel free to leave any comments.
    All the best, Paulio*

http://www.myspace.com/seventhproof

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Are you saying that absolutely everything is the exact same with hardware, performace, instruments, experience etc etc and that the mac simply sounds better than the PC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Paulio*

Hey, Well the Mac is a Powerbook 1.5ghz 1.250 ram. The PC is a 2100ghz with 1 gig of ram. I dont think there that far apart. I mean it could be about background running noise in the Pc that you dont get with a laptop, but I fitted out the PC with silent fans, and hard disk sheilds to pervent background noise. I have been using SONAR 5 for about 6 months now of home recording and have only using LOGIC in the last month and althought I think SONAR is a great program, I just feel that I can achieve far better quality sound recordings with LOGIC PRO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Paulio*

Paulio* wrote:
    Hey all,
    I started to record music about 6 months ago now. I am using a Presonus firepod, a Sm 57 microphone and I was using a P.C running Sonar 5 Producer Edition. About a month ago I got a very good deal on a G4 Powerbook so I started to use Logic Pro 7 and Oh my god it is amazing. I was fustrated with fuzzing sounds, poor vocals and difficult mixing with Sonar, but now with Logic it is amazing and the results speak for themselves. Logic has a huge storehouse of loops, and sound samples from shakers to strings, and you can change the key of evey loop to suit your sound. If you enjoy home recording and are looking for better results I seriously recemend giving it a look. I am currently in the process of re-recording all my songs because I am so convinced of the results.
    I know there is always P.C v's Mac battles, but I really think Apple have this one whooped. (Althougth I still use Sonar for .mp3 converting, because the 'bounce' doesnt seem to work in Logic)
    If you want to hear what I mean take a look at my myspace below. The song 'Burn' is all done on Logic, while all the others are done using Sonar. Feel free to leave any comments.
    All the best, Paulio*

http://www.myspace.com/seventhproof

Anyone reading this fancy starting a band in the Dublin area? If so PM me. Thanks,

There is alot of talk about Macs v PCs in relation to music and the reasons are mostlt historical at this stage. That said, if one saounds better to you then that's great. What I would suggest at this stage though is that you keep an open mind, you might end up back on PC one day!
    Best of luck with the band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 infamousajay

Only software you need is Reason (http://www.propellerheads.se/). Just check the demo's and videos; there's so much to do in that program it'd take months to master it, plus there's so many plugins, you can make VERY unique tracks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Only software you need is Reason (http://www.propellerheads.se/).

In the interests of any newbies that might be reading this thread, I'd like to say that the above statement is just plain wrong. If you are recording a regular band you can't do it with reason period (reason cannot record audio). It was not designed for that. It is fine for what it is (a dance oriented workstation) but it is not a panacea for all musical applications nor is it intended to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭eddyc

Its apples and oranges, I have never used Logic I use Sonar and thats what works for me, as far as sound quality gos I have to say it really depends on the soundcard you are using, if you are using the same soundcard, scientifically Sonar 64-bit is the best audio recording software due to its high precision dithering and mixing abilitys that any 32-bit app cannot match, other than that afaik Logic comes bundled with the best plugins and it is an industry standard, but so is digital performer, juno reactor uses dp and refers to logic as a piece of crap, I dont know, whatever works for you

What Reason does, it does quite well. Although the more I use it the more I can come to spot its sound. It definitely has a distinct character and it's a charecter I like but I think that it's present sound is going to become very dated over the next while.

If what you want to do is record yourself playing instruments then Reason isn't the program for you.

Advertisement