Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

stereo amp + speakers needed

• 13-09-2006 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a budget of €1000 and want to buy an amp+speakers to rock my world. I would like to put inputs from my laptop (macbook pro), PC, NTL digital box, DVD, IPOD and CD player. I only want great stereo no 5.1 wires and speakers everywhere.
    So I dont know if i should go for a new or second-hand NAD style amp (with possibly a seperate DAC if needed) or a yamaha style integrated receiver?

I want speakers A/B choice and I was looking at a pair of Kef Q3 as they sounded great in Peats. What amp and speakers would anyone recommend?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

for just stereo? denon avr2806 and a pair of b&w dm603's, 604's if you can stretch your budget a bit, the 604, siwll have better bass, but the 603's will rock, especially if you add a sub later

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Will check out the denon and speakers as suggested.

This yamaha sound projector kinda makes me think of going down the 5.1 route have you heard it in action?

which one? that link has a page with a lot of receivers..

i auditioned yamaha and denon, bought a denon 3803..prefer the denon sound with the b&w speakers...

(and i got 50% off the receiver through work..:D )

but yamaha make excellent receivers too

be warned...1000 for decent 5.1 really limits you

what about this NAD one?

sorry for all the options but it all helps the research!

never used NAD. but they have a good name...that one looks a bit barren., only 5.1, most are 6.1 and a lot are 7.1, no dts neo decoding, and no pro logic iix beacuse of that..it had better be a bargain, because it seems a bit short on features.

• Advertisement

sorry the link for the yamaha speakers
    I will check out your recommendations. thanks!

played with one of those at work..it's pretty cool..but it's not true 5.1, it bounces signals off walls to simulate 5.1.

I prefer the real thing, i even listen to music in stero, unless it's SACD or DVD-audio.

the denon and speakers look great - unfortunately they do double my budget as each are around the 1000 mark!

I need to go with bookshelf speakers - would the B&W 602s compare favourably?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Have a look on the Superfi website there are some excellent prices there as well as Richer Sounds.
    http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/hp/2/
    http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/home.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=1&c=0&Screen=1024

I have delt with both by internet and phone and the service both provide is excellent.Obviously you cant get a listen in before hand but you could check out some local shop with similar gear.Dont froget to leave some of your budget for interconnets , speaker cable and if you decide to go with standmount speakers leave money for stands too.Budgets are always broken so bare that in mind.
    Have a look in Cloney Audio too , they have the B&W speakers you were talking about 601 ,602.In fact they might be able to sort you out with a good deal.

flatface wrote:
    the denon and speakers look great - unfortunately they do double my budget as each are around the 1000 mark!

I need to go with bookshelf speakers - would the B&W 602s compare favourably?

602's would be an excellent choice. Some rate them higher than the 603, i didn't when i listened to them...but i wanted floorstanders, and with the bub i have i didn't want 604's. would have been a waste. The 602's are an excellent speaker. don't forget though you will need stands for them. Stay away from the 602.5, they're not a patch on the 602's. that goes for teh 601's well, the 601.s are only a surround speaker.

on the receiver, i think i misquoted te receiver, the one i meant to recommend was the 1906, you're right, the 2806 not what you wanted.

probably still above the 1000 mark,but a lot closer....so new recommendations, Denon AVR1906, and B&W DM602's. Will sound excellent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement