Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying for a service im not getting (Accom)

Options
  • 13-09-2006 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

I'm living in a purpose build student accomodation complex in Sligo. One of the services is internet access via the college's network.

Now the apartments are new, all the cables are laid and the routers are all set up downstairs, but no connection.

The same thing happened last year and we were waiting 3 months for net access which was a disgrace.

Can I kick up a fuss about this? They clearly state in the brochure that we get internet access

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

You should check if the tax relief scheme these appartments are run under requires the provision of internet access. If I remember correctly some of the tax breaks do require it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭rondjon

You could also find out what portion of your overall cost is for the provision of the service, and withhold payment of that amount until it is provided.

If you've paid upfront, not a whole lot you can do really. You could demand a refund based on my first point I suppose.

However, given that this happened already, and there was therefore the chance that it could happen again, why did you go back to the place again?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It sounds like you'll just have to track down the guy who can fix this and get him to switch it on. That sounds really simplistic, but that is what you have to do.

You could go to the small claims court, but it would cause a lot of aggro if you'd end up suing your own college.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Get onto your Students Union, they'll help some amount. They'll probably know who is and have the number of the person in charge of the relevant departments. Contract wise, I've seen a lot of those student accommodation forms and you're most likely buggered.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I got onto the SU - they said they'll see whats going on.

I'm guessing that since the apartments are new and not everyone has moved in yet, theyre waiting to put the connection between the college and the block online

I'll give it another week (since this was my first week), after that i'll start kicking up stink!

Re: the contracts, I read them VERY carefully this year. Yes, theyre a pain in the h0le and a bit unfair, but I booked very late this year, so all the nice houses were gone!

• Advertisement
Advertisement