Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Easterly wind

Options
  • 13-09-2006 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

I have recently bought a boat, it's a 17ft ' Wilson Flyer' with a 40hp Tohatsu O'board. I normally launch off the public slip in Howth, It's a hugh slip and I'm crap at reversing the trailer ! I've been told by a few people, never to go out if there is a North Easterly wind blowing. Does anyone know why this is the case ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

If a strong north easterly is blowing it will probably blow the boat back onto the slip or trailer. Also Howth Harbour can be bad if the wind is blowing a northeasterly gale as it tends to form a nasty chop at the entrance. There shouldn't be much chop at the slip due to the marina breakwater but the wind could blow the boat back onto the trailer. I have seen boats being holed after getting blown back onto a slip or trailer in some choppy seas so if in doubt I don't risk it.

PS I hope you have some experience or got training before going out in the boat. It can make it alot more pleasant and enjoyable for all on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Scratchface

Hi Pidgeon Reaper,

Thanks for the advice. Didn't really get any lessons before I went out but got plenty of advice from others with boats. There's a lot involved, and you soon see how people get into trouble, especially people with no experience. I saw three guys coming into Howth recently at low tide, and they came in the wrong side of the markers and hit the prop off the rocks. They had no power and the boat began to drift onto the rocks at the harbour wall. They didn't even an oar or a pole to push themselves off.

Two of them ended up in the water, and eventually they had to get a guy on a jetski to tow them back to the slip ! The prop was completly knackered when they pulled the boat out. Are there no regulations in place that you need some degree of training or can anyone just turn up with a boat and off you go ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

There are no regulations on qualifications. I would recommend getting a powerboat level 2 if possible as it is very worthwhile. Advice from other is good but experience is much better. The ISA will be able to advise you on the closest schools. There's lots of good info on powerboat.ie about equipment you should have on board etc. Needless to say oars are good as are lifejackets, a radio, some rope and flares. Also use the thirds rule with fuel, ie one third heading out and one third back. It means if anything happens you have spare fuel.
    You'd be surprised how many people in boats make sutpid mistakes like you described. most people will spend a considerable sum on a boat but won't spend a small fraction on training and proper equipment. Please don't go out if you're at all concerned about the conditions or if the forecast is bad. An old seadog once said to me it's better want to be at sea when you're on land than to want to be on land when you're at sea(same guy also says it's better to be looking at it than for it).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

As above, I strongly recommend an ISA Level 2 Powerboat Cert.

You can do it many places, I did mine at Lough Ree Powerboat School. Stuart McNamara runs it, youll find him at www.powerboat.ie - top guy

Advertisement