Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Double vision: Am I allowed drive?

Options
  • 13-09-2006 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

My problem is I suffer from chronic double vision. It doesn't cause any problem in my day to day life as I'm used to it and don't even notice the other image anymore.

Just filling in my licence applications and wondering what will happen if I mention this (don't worry I will). Will I be allowed drive at all? If I'm allowed drive what adaptions will I have to make (glasses make it worse) and will my insurance go through the roof?

It would really suck if I cant drive, I want my independence.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭The_Magoo

Really dont know what to say, but to be honest, you have to pass an eye test to get your licence, after that its anyone guess. Do you believe you can drive safely without causing danger to yourself and others?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If you can pass an eye test (you need to to get a licence) you should be ok.

My licence is under the condition that I wear corrective lenses when driving, and rightly so. My eye sight is crap :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You will have to undergo an eye test.

This is from a canadian site I imagine something similair is the case here
    Diplopia (double vision) within the central 40° (i.e., 20° to the left, right, above and below fixation) of primary gaze is incompatible with safe driving for all classes of licence. Patients with uncorrected diplopia within the central 40° of primary gaze should be referred to an ophthalmologist or optometrist for further assessment. If the diplopia can be corrected completely with a patch or prisms to meet the appropriate standards for visual acuity and visual field, the patient may be eligible to drive. Before s/he resumes driving, there should be an adjustment period of 3 months or sufficient to satisfy the treating ophthalmologist or optometrist that adequate adjustment has occurred.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

imred wrote:
    It would really suck if I cant drive, I want my independence.
    Hopefully you will be pass the eye test but you must accept that the safety of other road users will take precedence over your independence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

The_Magoo wrote:
    Really dont know what to say, but to be honest, you have to pass an eye test to get your licence, after that its anyone guess. Do you believe you can drive safely without causing danger to yourself and others?

I think I could if my eye was patched.... Ive seen people driving who were blind in one eye......

• Advertisement
Advertisement