Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any webdesign teachers?

Options
  • 13-09-2006 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have beginner/intermediate abiltiy to build websites. Looking for a good teacher to move up a notch for advanced. Anyone out there???

Also - anyone interested in pooling some real-world abilities and getting a joint venture/endeavour off the ground? Have been looking & considering for some time and would love to discuss it some more with any one seriously interested. I imagine it would be part time to begin with but who knows where that might go, you know?

Interested in any responses!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

are you looking for a personal tutor?
    your best bet is to enroll in a night course or to check out the webdeveloper courses that FAS have to offer

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Surion

are you looking for a personal tutor?
    your best bet is to enroll in a night course or to check out the webdeveloper courses that FAS have to offer

YES, I guess it would be best to say i'm looking for a personal tutor!! Someone to show me those 'nifty' things I can't do right now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I find that allot of the fas courses only teach the basic's, I know a good bit and i can already build sites and uploads them to server etc. But I would like to learn alot more. Was looking at the CIW courses but from what some people are saying they are not worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

youll be hard pushed to find someone to give up their fee time to help you out, you'd be better off doing a course.

You'd want to have HTML, CSS, Flash, some Javascript knowledge some back end experience in one of the language.. PHP/ASP/Coldfusion and be able to use Dreamweaver and Photoshop. Then you can make sites no problem... so what exactly do you know?

Well, I orig took classes in HTML, Dreamweaver/Fireworks & a little flash. No back end experience. Have photoshop but may as well have the parts of an atomic bomb for what I could do with it!

Incidentally...I'd be willing to pay for my private tuition...not expecting it for free!! Know anyone? Like NeVeR I can build and upload and in 4 years published 4 different sites (none remaining)...so have no probs there...and stardard was pretty good too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

i'm sure a nerdy internet guy my age would give you some pretty good tuition at a good price, its a matter of asking around to be honest....

If you ask a local web designer in your area, i'm sure he would know someone that could help you....

Hi guys...I've put up another add elsewhere for webdesign teacher/tuitor...still looking for someone experienced - and would be really interested to hear from anyone who might be in a position?

Many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

Surion,

How old are you?

What kind of computing / design background, if any, do you have?

Are you looking to become a pro? Or simply a competent hobbyist? What is your purpose in learning web design?

turbot wrote:
    Surion,

How old are you?

What kind of computing / design background, if any, do you have?

Are you looking to become a pro? Or simply a competent hobbyist? What is your purpose in learning web design?

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm 27?? I have limited experience - except for webdesign classes I took some years ago and published a few sites. But in terms of the person who would be teaching me, pretty IT literate & lots of cop on.

I guess I would be the hobbyist althought the purpose is of course site building for myself and friends. Want to know as much as possible but classes just wont work for me for the next 6-9 months!

Know anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Surion wrote:
    pretty IT literate & lots of cop on

tbh thats all you need, theres a mountain of sites out there that will take you through step by step, get a good understanding of XHTML and CSS which will allow you to start putting together semi decent looking sites, after that you can add the likes of javascript,php etc to your skillset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Surion,

Can I have a little more info?

Are you looking to enhance existing knowledge, or formalise your learning?
    Is there certain technologies you want to get into (XML/JAVA/AJAX/ASP/PHP) or is it just a general overview with nothing too specific?
    Do you have specific areas you want to cover?
    Do you want to be taught at home, or in instructors home?
    Where are you based?
    How long can you spend each evening?
    Do you have the software?

I've taught ECDL and TEFL students, in instructor-led courses. I'm a web-designer for about 7 years, having worked for O2 and Motorola, and other small web design companies. Currently working as a freelance project manager. Am studying an Arts degree, so need to have a set time per week so I can draw out a course outline and track progress etc.

Interested? PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

If the problem is that you prefer the classroom approach by all means go for the tutor approach. But if you are looking for a course/tutor with all the answers, then youre out of luck. No course or tutor will teach you everything you need to know, so its important to be able to teach yourself.

Whats wrong with working your way through the HTML, CSS, PHP, ASP tutorials here...

http://www.w3schools.com/default.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Pm sent Surion.

Thanks guys for all the details - and the link from Where's me jumpa was really helpful!

Still looking for tuition if anyone is available as my time is a little streched due to a lot of travel for work & kinda work best face to face with someone.

Thanks again!

Advertisement