Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband advice for D8 needed

• 13-09-2006 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭

I've recently moved into an apartment in D8 (off south circular road), and I'm looking to get broadband hooked up. There's no landline in the apartment, so Eircom/BT/whatever aren't going to happen. There is an NTL cable point (although I don't actually get TV from them), but I gave them a ring, and I'm not in a broadband-capable area, although it apparently will be upgraded "by the end of the year". Clearwire's apparently crap, so I guess that's not an option. Chorus seems cheap, but they won't use the same cable points as NTL, will they? Any advice on what to go with, even if it's just for 6 months or so prior to getting NTL? Speaking of which, how much extra will NTL broadband cost for someone who's not also subscribed to their TV package?

Any advice at all would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 tryalittle

Thought I would offer advise
    in D8 no landline
    NTl don't cover here
    Irish broadband is crap weak signal
    your only option is Digiweb but you will need their €30ish package
    it is good (make sure you can get the aerial (small) put on the roof)
    if heavy use or really bad weather it does suffer but not bad at the moment
    but if everyone signs up around here I have my theory it will crawl

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Thraktor wrote:
    I've recently moved into an apartment in D8 (off south circular road), and I'm looking to get broadband hooked up. There's no landline in the apartment, so Eircom/BT/whatever aren't going to happen. There is an NTL cable point (although I don't actually get TV from them), but I gave them a ring, and I'm not in a broadband-capable area, although it apparently will be upgraded "by the end of the year". Clearwire's apparently crap, so I guess that's not an option. Chorus seems cheap, but they won't use the same cable points as NTL, will they? Any advice on what to go with, even if it's just for 6 months or so prior to getting NTL? Speaking of which, how much extra will NTL broadband cost for someone who's not also subscribed to their TV package?

Any advice at all would be much appreciated.

You cannot get NTL BB without the tv package. Chorus and NTL are now one and the same.

If you are in Dub 8 there is a chance you might on the Crown Alley Exchange and if so it might be worth getting a landline in to get Smart which is probably the best dsl deal going,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Yeah smart are the best at the moment. My brother has ClearWire and says it's rubbish. Signal keeps cutting on him randomly and they won't say why. They also block most ports.

One of the girls in my class did work placement in irish broadband and said that they were a joke of a company and nobody in the place knew what they were doing. I've only ever heard bad things about them.

NTL I know nothing about, can you get Magnet they seem to do some reasonable deals (not sure about service though).

Basically I think you have to avoid Wireless because they suck at providing proper access and bite the bullet and get a landline at the moment or go with NTL/Magnet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Go for Smart. Its possible you may also be on the Dolphins Barn exchange. One thing that seems common in Dublin 8 is pretty crap copper. The only people that could offer me BB of any kind were Smart due to the quality of the copper. They are using DSL2 which apparently gives a better range and thus can allow failing lines to pass (correct me if I'm wrong here anyone).

Watch out for the usual fun with Eircon on getting your account number. They will stall and stall if you mention you want BB from anyone but them. So say not a word to them about it.

Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

machalla wrote:
    Watch out for the usual fun with Eircon on getting your account number. They will stall and stall if you mention you want BB from anyone but them. So say not a word to them about it.
    From Eircoms website:
    When your eircom phoneline has been connected you will be sent a confirmation email.

The e-mail will contain:

* Your NEW eircom home phone number.
    * Your NEW personal eircom account number.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Thraktor

dub45 wrote:
    You cannot get NTL BB without the tv package. Chorus and NTL are now one and the same.

If you are in Dub 8 there is a chance you might on the Crown Alley Exchange and if so it might be worth getting a landline in to get Smart which is probably the best dsl deal going,

How much would it actually cost to get a line put in? My landlord is well on the frugal side of things when it comes to getting stuff for the apartment, and I certainly don't want to have to shell out a considerable amount for a permanent apartment feature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

It's in the region of €120 to get a phone line installed. If there's a deactivated line in the apartment already, it's free or cheap to reconnect. Your landlord should obviously pay to get the phone line but is probably easier said than done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Thraktor wrote:
    How much would it actually cost to get a line put in? My landlord is well on the frugal side of things when it comes to getting stuff for the apartment, and I certainly don't want to have to shell out a considerable amount for a permanent apartment feature.
    http://www.eircom.ie
    Click on Products & Services
    Click on Phone Lines.

If you don't qualify for a free connection it'll cost about €125 to get a line installed.

Advertisement