Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Singing Shrink

• 13-09-2006 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭

Ok,here we go...

I'm finished school 3 years now and since then I've been to college (never finished a course for various reasons) and spent some time working.

Next year I plan to go back to college but I'm in two minds about what to study. I have always been interested in psychology and spent a year studying it but due to a death in the family I never sat the exams and decidied to spend some time travelling around etc.

Anyway,I love psychology and would really like to go back and get my degree. However,my one true talent is singing and lately I've started thinking about maybe going to study that instead. Thing is though,my music theory is quite weak and I'm worried I'd end up struggling.

Now,you don't need a degree to be a singer but it's kind of a necessity for a psychologist so I've been looking at it that way. However,I find that I've always let music take a back seat and focused on more academic things and now I feel like I'm really wasting my talent.

I don't know which area to go into and I can't really study both because I'd end up being over 30 by the time I'm finished and I know it's not that old but if I don't start working before I'm 30 then I'll end up being 50 by the time I can afford to have a house or a family!

I dunno,I know I'm just panicking too much but I really don't know which direction to go in. I have a passion for both.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Go get your degree and pursue the singing arround it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Thaedydal wrote:

2nd'd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Aye, you could even use the singing to pay some of your way through college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

My sister studied singing while she was at school, and after that, while doing 4 different PLC courses at once. She did her Grade 8 last year and has now just completed her diploma in singing. My point is, that singing can be done part-time, in the evenings/weekends etc. If you're in Dublin, have a look at the Royal Irish Academy in Westland Row, for courses or tuition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

I'm in a similar situation. I didn't really know whether to pursue jazz music, or go to art college. Decided on art college, and will definitely keep up the jazz in my free time, playing gigs and that. Go for a solid foundation, like a good degree or any qualification, and keep your music going as a pastime/money earner. You don't really need a degree in music to be a good singer, but you'll need one to be a psychologist.
    Find out about singing courses <like the one in Newpark you were talking about earlier> and decide then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yeah do the psychology course if you're actually sure you wanna do it (it's a waste of money if you're not sure! take another year if you need to think more about it, no rush). Having a music degree won't put you any closer to being the next Madonna! lol. Get some singing lessons while you're in college, and you could get band together or somethin, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Thaedydal wrote:

3rd'd
    LadyJ wrote:
    Now,you don't need a degree to be a singer but it's kind of a necessity for a psychologist so I've been looking at it that way.

I reckon that's the best way to view it. A degree will stand to you no matter what. A singing career is hard to obtain and very easy to lose. There are countless people out there who have fantastic singing voices and there are plenty of those who, no matter what their talent, may never make it as it's an incredibly hard industry in which to gain a successful career. (Not trying to rain on your parade or anything, just trying to be realistic.)

A degree in psychology is another matter. It's a tough discipline and, although it can be over-subscribed in a lot of colleges, if you have the opportunity to study it and you have a passion for it then I would say go for it. You will always have that to fall back on if singing doesn't work out for you.

Like the others have said, keep up your singing in your spare time and go for the degree. That way you're not losing out on either one of your passions.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Narcissus

Thaedydal wrote:

I agree with this too. Also, College's have loads of clubs and socs so you could join a music soc to gain experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Keep in mind (although you probably already know this) that in order for that degree to be of any use you'll have to do at least another two years post grad. Just something to think about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Cannot remember what they labelled it when reading something way back when, but there's a form of psychological treatment for toubled children that uses singing as a technique.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

A friend of my girlfriends was actually mid way through doing her masters in psychology and then gave it up to pursue a career as an opera singer. She has just finished her course (think it was a degree) and is trying to go to London to get and further her education and training as an opera singer.

The question is what type of singer do you want to be and realisticly what are your prospects of getting a lasting career out of it. If you are planning on doing music you have a year off to study up on music theory so i wouldn't be to bothered about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Thaedydal wrote:

4th'd

You could also think about combining the two of them later in your career through music therapy. There's a 2 year MA programme in UL which would be worth looking at.

http://www.ul.ie/~iwmc/programmes/mamt/index.html

P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

Lady wrote:
    Ok,here we go...

I'm finished school 3 years now and since then I've been to college (never finished a course for various reasons) and spent some time working.

Next year I plan to go back to college but I'm in two minds about what to study. I have always been interested in psychology and spent a year studying it but due to a death in the family I never sat the exams and decided to spend some time traveling around etc.

Anyway,I love psychology and would really like to go back and get my degree. However,my one true talent is singing and lately I've started thinking about maybe going to study that instead. Thing is though,my music theory is quite weak and I'm worried I'd end up struggling.

Now,you don't need a degree to be a singer but it's kind of a necessity for a psychologist so I've been looking at it that way. However,I find that I've always let music take a back seat and focused on more academic things and now I feel like I'm really wasting my talent.

I don't know which area to go into and I can't really study both because I'd end up being over 30 by the time I'm finished and I know it's not that old but if I don't start working before I'm 30 then I'll end up being 50 by the time I can afford to have a house or a family!

I dunno,I know I'm just panicking too much but I really don't know which direction to go in. I have a passion for both.

Any thoughts?

To be totally honest, it seems as if you are looking for excuses. Maybe your a bit nervous, or don't have enough confidence in yourself, maybe you are afraid of failing, I really don't know, but if any of the aforementioned are correct - they are perfectly understandable reasons for 'putting it off' but they are not GOOD enough reasons to put off chasing your dream.
    If you have a talent, use it, you don't have to go to college.

However, a qualification is a good thing to fall back on if your singing career doesn't take off.
    It is a tough industry to break into, so for the sake of sercurity - a qualification would be a good thing.

Go get singing lessons, make a demo, send it every record label and radio station you can think off. Maybe get yourself an agent and attend a few auditions.

I wanted / want to be a singer. When I was a kid I was so outgoing and determined. All through school I was forever forming bands, writing songs, recording demos and contacting record labels and talent scouts - I came pretty close a few times, but maybe I just don't have what it takes, maybe I just wasn't in the right place and the right time - I really don't know.
    I decided to study media in college and it is the industry I have a passion for, and the qualifications I would obtain would be a nice fall back plan if the singing never took off.

Now I am finished college and fully qualified I am working a drab old 9-5 but chasing the 'fame' rainbow all the while.

Things wont happen over night, and it can be disheartening, but I would suggest that if singing is your main goal, then go for it, give it 100% - otherwise you will always wonder 'what if?', 'if only' etc, etc.

5th Go for college

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

5th Go for college

Well,it'd be college either way....

I dunno. I'm thinking what I might do is go do a 1 year PLC course in music performance next year and learn more about music technology etc. so at least then I'd know what I'm doing with regard to making demos etc. and meet some other musicians too.

Then the year after I can go back to psychology,with the knowledge of how to build a music career at the same time.

Anyway,thanks for all the advice. My head's a bit clearer now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Id stick with the college thing if I was you, get it over and done with and then looking into a singing shrink role!

In regards to the singing, I would suggest going to open mic nights around the city and talking to the artists there, you'll learn a hell of a lot more that they wont teach you in a classroom!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Stick with College, stick with College, stick with College, stick with College, stick with College, stick with College, stick with College, stick with College, stick with College!

I'm playing with two semi pro bands down here in Cork, and most of my mates playing with the bigger bands in Ireland are in the same boat. We all have Day Jobs, and our Music is our hobby, our outlet. Don't make a career of it, because that's when the enjoyment ceases, and singing becomes just another job with no stable income (Gigs are seasonal!). Keep it a hobby, and make a few pounds from it.

My music just fully paid for a Ducati 916 and a Trip to Paris with the Girlie, and my day job pays everything else. Some of the best singers I know do it part time, and if you're really really good, and outshine everyone else, you'll be approached by record companies/etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,496 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think few enough people make a solid living from singing. You have to ask "Will singing put food on the table and a roof over my head?"

Making real money from psychology will mean doing 5-6 more years in college, although having a BA/BSc in psychology is useful in business, even if you don't follow it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It would be much easier to continue/take up the singing later on, than the degree. Also I'm guessing you could only finish the degree in one place, but singing could be done at evenings/weekends/summer months and you have much better choice of places.

"singing shrink" - you could setup your own American TV show, and sing advice to the callers

Advertisement