Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running in and around Phoneix Park

Options
  • 13-09-2006 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Does anyone have advice on running routes in and around the Phoneix Park ?
    I will be in Dublin for the weekend and I need to do a 16 mile run as part of marathon training. I will be staying in Liffey Valley so the Park would be a go place to run ?.
    Is there an long loop of the park I could do ?.
    Are there any restrictions, road closures etc that would prevent me from running on a Saturday morning ?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

The Dublin Triathlon is on most of Saturday, starting quite early I believe. May be some restrictions for traffic, but cant imagine there being any for runners. You could arrange to go with the irishfit gang that meet at the Cunningham Road end of the park at 10am. Have never run with them, but it seems to be well organised. If you are training for the Marathon they do the Adiruns.

If you do a full lap of the park on the road it is about 6 miles, so if you run down to the park from liffey valley, and do two laps that would give you close to your target. Bring a bottle of water and hide it as you enter the park as there is nowhere to drink in the park (that I have found)

If you want to go off road, there is a nice 10 mile loop that I can map for you on gmaps.

Enjoy,
    Domer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Domer wrote:
    The Dublin Triathlon is on most of Saturday, starting quite early I believe. May be some restrictions for traffic, but cant imagine there being any for runners. You could arrange to go with the irishfit gang that meet at the Cunningham Road end of the park at 10am. Have never run with them, but it seems to be well organised. If you are training for the Marathon they do the Adiruns.

If you do a full lap of the park on the road it is about 6 miles, so if you run down to the park from liffey valley, and do two laps that would give you close to your target. Bring a bottle of water and hide it as you enter the park as there is nowhere to drink in the park (that I have found)

If you want to go off road, there is a nice 10 mile loop that I can map for you on gmaps.

Enjoy,
    Domer

Thanks Domer, if you can gmap that 10 mile loop I'd really appreciate it.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=434537

it measures about 9.5 from the Chapelizod gates where I assume you will be entering the park.

I am sure there are hundreds of other loops, but I particularly like that one.

Good luck,

Domer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Domer, I saw you mention gps on your blog. Have you uploaded any gps runs of that 10 mile loop to motionbased.com ? If they're up there I'd be very interested in a link so I could try and put the course in my forerunner. Thanks :)

Hi Quozl,

I use the Timex GPS Speed and Distance system, so it is not possible to upload the route. It tells you how far and fast you have run, but not where you have run. I use the gmaps pedometer for that.

Sorry,
    Domer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Cool, thanks anyway Domer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Tillo

Hi I'll be doing this route on Saturday it's close to 16 miles for 2 laps

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=436692

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Tillo wrote:
    Hi I'll be doing this route on Saturday it's close to 16 miles for 2 laps

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=436692

Thanks Tillo and Domer for the info, thanks for introducting me to gmap also, great tool.

Advertisement