Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mondeo vs Octavia vs Rover 75

Options
  • 13-09-2006 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

'02 Mondeo 1.8 vs '01 Octavia 1.4 vs '01 Rover 75 1.8

What say ye?

All similar mileage, condition, price, etc. The extra running cost of the 1.8 petrols is not that much more, but depreciation will be higher and they will be harder to sell. A lot of extra car for the money compared to the Octavia 1.4. My requirements are in this thread. Mrs unkel seems to take to the Rover...

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If the Mondeo is a Zetec model go for it. If it's an LX, don't.

The "Octavia crowd" may suggest otherwise but a 1.4 will be significantly underpowered.

Rover - nah.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

What kind of kit is there with the 75? I know a guy who runs a fleet of limos and executive private hire cars who has a 75 as his daily driver. He recons the leather upolstery in the 75 is better than any of the cars in the fleet, inclusing S class merc's. I'd be wary of the k-series engine though, probably worth getting a full mechanical inspection to make sure everything is as it should be. One thing against the 75 and possibly the mondeo, is that it's a saloon. It's amazing how useless a large boot becomes when the opening of the bootlid is small.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Do those Rovers have issues with parts?

Mondeo has a fine boot (think 5 sets of golf clubs), and comes in a h/b too (rarer in Ireland).

X-part are the parts company and were spun off from rover long before they went under. I think they have some connection with JCB now, but I could be wrong. You won't have any part worries for years with rover.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

alias no.9 wrote:
    X-part are the parts company and were spun off from rover long before they went under. I think they have some connection with JCB now, but I could be wrong. You won't have any part worries for years with rover.

Caterpillar.

Parts will definately become an issue, they always do when a manufacturer goes bankrupt. Of bigger concern with an elderly car though is the lack of them in scrapyards.

The scrapyards of Ireland are full of mondeos. Need a replacment wiper motor... buy a whole car for half the price of a new motor...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I would have thought a hatchback would be a good idea for a family roundabout. Which rules out a Rover 75.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The car does not need to be fast. Even the 75BHP of the Octavia 1.4 would be enough. It will rarely be on an open country road, let alone overtake. The Mondeo is base spec 110BHP LX, the 75 is base (no leather unfortunately) and the Octavia is Ambiente
    alias no.9 wrote:
    I'd be wary of the k-series engine though, probably worth getting a full mechanical inspection to make sure everything is as it should be

I'm aware of the issue. The car will be checked out by my trusted mechanics and should we buy it, we'll keep a very close eye on the engine temps / coolant leaks
    alias no.9 wrote:
    One thing against the 75 and possibly the mondeo, is that it's a saloon. It's amazing how useless a large boot becomes when the opening of the bootlid is small.

Another excellent point. I'm only too aware of it as my own car (BMW 7-series) has a huge boot, but it is nowhere near as practical as the hatchback of the humble Octavia. The Mondeo hatch is very rare here. Mrs unkel says boot in the saloons are adequate though
    maidhc wrote:
    Parts will definately become an issue

I don't see it becoming an issue, at least for the medium term, say 5 years. There will be demand for parts and there are still many Rovers about. Granted, parts will probably be more expensive compared to other cars, but how many parts will we need? Remember this is going to be an ultra-low mileage car

unkel wrote:
    I don't see it becoming an issue, at least for the medium term, say 5 years. There will be demand for parts and there are still many Rovers about. Granted, parts will probably be more expensive compared to other cars, but how many parts will we need? Remember this is going to be an ultra-low mileage car

No, definately not in the next 5 years!

Genuine parts get bloody expensive for any old car anyway tbh.

The Rover is the most impressive looking by many miles. Buy a Rover.

maidhc wrote:
    Caterpillar.

I knew it was something big and yellow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Unkel,

I'd go for the mondeo every time - even in lx trim its not badly appointed. I ran the same type car for two years, put 45k on it, and it was faultless. It should return 36/38mpg. Also, its a pretty safe car to be in, with lots of airbags (hopefully never to be used). As other posters have said, there should be no problem with spare parts, and plenty of places to source them.

The Skoda Octavia would be number two. The boot area as already mentioned is huge in them. 1.4l is underpowered, which is why I'd place a larger engined car as safer wrt overtaking.

The Rover 75 is a fine car, but not in very plentiful numbers in this country. Parts availabilty in the future would make me think twice about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Mondeo the best all-round buy but I quite like the Rover even though it's an old man's car. Would quite fancy the MG version fitted with the BMW diesel engine. What a motor!

Something that popped into my mind today...I saw a Mondeo taxi and was wondering - why are there not more of these used as taxis?? Ford reliability has been very good the last 5-6 years and a Mondeo 1.8 is pretty cheap second-hand.

I know Toyotas are good but jaysus, those taxi-boys are pretty conservative. A Mondeo is defo better than any VW Group (Skoda) car IMO...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

pburns wrote:

Something that popped into my mind today...I saw a Mondeo taxi and was wondering - why are there not more of these used as taxis?? Ford reliability has been very good the last 5-6 years and a Mondeo 1.8 is pretty cheap second-hand.

I know Toyotas are good but jaysus, those taxi-boys are pretty conservative. A Mondeo is defo better than any VW Group (Skoda) car IMO...

I was in Rome a few weeks ago, and there was stacks of Mondeo TdCi's running as Taxi's. But you're right, there isnt that many here.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There are bargins out there especially with the Mondeo.

A work collegue of mine recently bought a 2001 MkIII Mondeo 1.8 Zetec with 101k miles on the clock for €4k. It was owned by a company from new with the same driver (a mate of his). The car was sold by the company as is but had a full service history and was mechanically in great condition. The body was grand, it just the usual little scuffs and scraps that a company car picks up. Interior was perfect especially the rear where nobody probably ever sat. He got himself a bargin.

While you can give away most Rovers these days, Rover 75 prices seem to be holding steady at the moment as as they are generally a quick seller even after Rover's demise.

I think generally people recognise that they are still alot of car for the money:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=455480
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=475807

Pitty this one is outside your budget and isn't a better colour:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=498982

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I would take the Rover 75 any day a really lovely car and some real good bargins to be had. Parts are around for the next 10 years min and the 75 is been relaunched early next year

gyppo wrote:
    I was in Rome a few weeks ago, and there was stacks of Mondeo TdCi's running as Taxi's. But you're right, there isnt that many here.

In Valencia almost every car is a Focus (surprise surprise), but more interestingly about 90% are diesel.

In Ireland many people seem completely unaware that companies other than VAG sell diesels!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I drive a 75 and would definitely pick that over the other two but I guess I'm biased. Regarding the K series 1.8 - I've heard all the scare stories and have been paranoid since I got it but haven't had a problem in the six months I've had it. Just make sure you check for coolant leaks etc before handing over money - and the power steering and ancillary belts too. She's not the fastest away from the lights (despite having 120 hp - it's 1500 kg!) but moves well once you get her up to speed and fairly glides along the road! I have the top (Connoisseur) spec sa have all the bits and bobs but even the base (Classic) trim should be well kitted out in comparison to other cars. If you have questions, head over to the 75 forum at forums.mg-rover.org - those guys know everything about the car!

Of the others, I wouldn't touch an Octavia with only a 1.4 and would take a Zetec spec Mondeo (125 PS) over the LX (110 PS - in Irish cars anyway).

PS Appartently good spec second hand 75s are currently INCREASING in value!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'd throw my hat in the ring for the 75 asweel, really really like them. Did some of them not have bmw engines? (similar to the deal with the 600 series having honda engines)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Rover 75 all the way - a totally different class of car to the mondeo and octavia.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Have you considered Mazda 626?

I'm quite surprised, there's a lot of support for the Rover on here. Contrary to what I posted before, the Rover I'll be looking at is actually a Club, not a Classic. Anyone know what's extra?

All the signs are ticked, one previous owner that the current owner knows well, FRSH with bills, etc.
    If you have questions, head over to the 75 forum at forums.mg-rover.org - those guys know everything about the car!

Cheers, Padraig. Will have a look there indeed
    pburns wrote:
    Mondeo the best all-round

I agree. The Mrs is quite keen on the Rover now though and I can't say I blame here
    bazz26 wrote:
    A work collegue of mine recently bought a 2001 MkIII Mondeo 1.8 Zetec with 101k miles on the clock for €4k

That's an exceptionally good deal. You could drive that for a year and sell it for the same money no bother

On your selection:

The first one is sold. Pity. The second one is just a bit old / worn for the money and the third one is indeed way out of budget and a bit overpriced too imho

If we were looking for a car to do high(ish) mileage, the diesel would be the choice alright. Some great bargains out there. A BMW developed car with many parts from the 320d, but much more exclusive for less than half the price, anyone? :D
    colm_mcm wrote:

Yes. Some good bargains there indeed. The old 626 is dull as dishwater but well built and reliable. Typically Japanese, really. I hadn't expected Mrs unkel to be that bothered about the looks of cars, but she dismissed many cars just like that. She wouldn't have any Japanese car I showed her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

colm_mcm wrote:

Unkel and Mrs Unkel don't like Jap cars. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

unkel wrote:
    '02 Mondeo 1.8 vs '01 Octavia 1.4 vs '01 Rover 75 1.8

What say ye?

All similar mileage, condition, price, etc. The extra running cost of the 1.8 petrols is not that much more, but depreciation will be higher and they will be harder to sell. A lot of extra car for the money compared to the Octavia 1.4. My requirements are in this thread. Mrs unkel seems to take to the Rover...

Octavia is underpowered. I drive a 1.6 and it's okay but I wouldn't buy any lower to be honest or I imagine acceleration would be slow as hell.

I wouldn't touch a Rover.

So Mondeo it is then.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

brim4brim wrote:
    I wouldn't touch a Rover.

Any particular reason ? or is it just an "all Rovers are crap" comment.How about the 620? pile of crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I'll throw my opinion in to the ring.

The Octavia 1.4 is underpowered. Cracking car, large, well specced, reasonably priced, massive boot, but the engine isn't enough to pull a Golf along and the Octavia is a larger car. If you can find a 1.6, 1.8T or 1.9Tdi I'd go for that.

I've never driven a Rover but I've heard very positive feedback from people who have, but reliability is an issue. Over 50% of cars that we had on fleet using the K series 1.8 engine have had at least 1 head gasket failure - recently we got rid of an MGF with 23,000 miles on the clock that had had the head gasket replaced 3 times.

Mondeo LX is still very well specced. Electric driver seat, CD player, Air Con, Front electric Windows. No reliabilty issue's that I'm aware of on the trusty old 1.8 (110ps) engine. Some of the Mondeo's have been known to roll away on hills, but as long as you have your foot on the brake when you engage the handbrake you'll be fine. I had one of these overnight when my car was in for service and liked it so much I bought a diesel version and ran that for 2 years.

Just to make my position clear:

I think unkel should go with a Rover because of the fact the car will be doing so little driving any possible reliability issues are pretty much meaningless. The car looks so much more interesting than a mondeo too, and since all cars he mentions will be worthless by the time they are to be sold on resale is irrelevant. In other words, he can afford to throw caution to the wind a little.

If on the other hand he wanted a car to bring him to work 20 miles every morning in comfort and on time, I probably would be predisposed towards the Mondeo.

But really, even eif the worst happens and the Rover needs a headgasket after 20k miles, that is many years away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

We have had a 03 1.4 Ambient Octavia since new and it has been a great family car. There is no doubt that it is way under powered. But it is still very drivable. On the plus side, it's a good solid car. You would feel safe in it. And the boot is not big..... it is HUGE...HUMONGUS. It is flippin GINORMOUS.

maidhc wrote:
    I think unkel should go with a Rover because of the fact the car will be doing so little driving any possible reliability issues are pretty much meaningless. The car looks so much more interesting than a mondeo too, and since all cars he mentions will be worthless by the time they are to be sold on resale is irrelevant. In other words, he can afford to throw caution to the wind a little

That's pretty much how I'm thinking...

maidhc wrote:
    ...I think unkel should go with a Rover because of the fact the car will be doing so little driving any possible reliability issues are pretty much meaningless......

Try explaining that when the 75 refuses to start (and it will almost certainly) :D

Try explaining that when the 75 refuses to start (and it will almost certainly) :D

The fuel filter issue? There's a simple and permanent solution for that. I'm not spooked that easily ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

isn't the 75 supposed to be kindof cramped for it's size?

Advertisement