Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

diabetes on a vegetarian diet

Options
  • 13-09-2006 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭

Anyone have it? My partner was diagnosed with it and the doctor said the vegetarian diet is good for keeping cholesterol down :)

Does anyone know if there are typical vegetarian foods to be avoided if you are a diabetic? Apparently fruit juices are not good for it and I don't think cheese is recommended :(

What vegetarian options are good for diabetics? I hope quorn is ok.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Here is a start.
    http://www.vegsoc.org/cordonvert/recipes2/diabetic.html
    http://diabeticgourmet.com/
    http://www.vegetariannutrition.net/vn_articles/change_to_vn.htm
    http://www.recipesource.com/special-diets/diabetic/vegetables/
    http://www.annecollins.com/diabetic-diet-questions.htm
    Marlow Foods reported that:

Quorn(TM) consumption has been shown to reduce significantly total and LDL serum cholesterol levels, and occasionally to raise HDL levels in both controlled and "free-living" studies;

In studies with normal, healthy individuals, results showed that glycemia was reduced post-meal compared with the control and was statistically significant at 60 minutes (13% reduction). Insulinemia was also reduced post-meal compared with the control and was statistically significant at 30 minutes (19% reduction) and 60 minutes (36% reduction).This raises questions about the potential for Quorn(TM) in diabetes management.

A mycoprotein lunch had an effect on "late satiety," i.e. the amount of food consumed in the evening was less after a mycoprotein-- containing lunch than after a "control" lunch. This finding might have implications for control of appetite and body weight.

"The main component of all Quorn(TM) products is mycoprotein, which is not soya-based, but is a member of the mushroom family. This is grown and harvested under strict quality controls and we can therefore reassure you that it is not a product of genetic manipulation. All the other ingredients used are purchased by us to a specification, which requires that they are not genetically modified." (May, 1999 statement on genetic modification).
    Check out quorn.com too.
    There is a lot of choice as you can see. Good luck to your partner. :)
    Any questions and I will try to help.

/aside for no reason.
    A good friend told me he is becoming vegetarian yesterday and that he couldn't have done it if he didn't feel so inspired by me. I'm so happy or proud of him or something!
    Anyway that didn't deserve a thread so I'm hijacking.
    Just thought of that as he will be a doctor soon, maybe he will give similar advice to people like your partner. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Wow a doctor actually reccommending a vegetarian diet!

Well done on inspiring your friend Tar, my friends don't even ask me why i'm veggie, they just take the piss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

That is so helpful thanks a mill. I didn't know where to start looking. All of a sudden grocery shopping has become a mine-field!
    Also my doctor is vegetarian :-)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Nature Boy wrote:
    Wow a doctor actually reccommending a vegetarian diet!
    My doctor suggested I become one because of a disorder.
    A different doctor suggested my friend become one due to his bloodtype.
    Well done on inspiring your friend Tar, my friends don't even ask me why i'm veggie, they just take the piss!
    Thanks. I get the piss taken too. :)
    That is so helpful thanks a mill.
    My pleasure.
    I didn't know where to start looking. All of a sudden grocery shopping has become a mine-field!
    Tell me about it, when I started...man, I sucked.
    Also my doctor is vegetarian :-)
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

JaneHudson wrote:
    ...Apparently fruit juices are not good for it and I don't think cheese is recommended :(
    There's something about pomegranate juice being benefical, you might want to look it up. Not sure what it is exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

JaneHudson wrote:
    All of a sudden grocery shopping has become a mine-field!

Well at least you can skip whole sections in the grocery shop! But then again you spend longer checking the labels so i guess it balances out!

Advertisement