Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 720

• 13-09-2006 5:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭

Plans for an updated version of Xbox 360 with an internal HD-DVD drive are being drawn up by Microsoft, with the intention of releasing the new Hi-Def enabled next-gen console in early 2007, according to industry sources.

This would be one way to combat PlayStation 3's in-built Blu-ray support, which will enable playback of movies in the new HD format, as well as giving much more space for game developers to use on each disc. Konami's Hideo Kojima - the man behind the Metal Gear Solid series - has stated that MGS4: Guns of the Patriots could not physically fit on a normal DVD disc.

Despite this news coming from reports that Microsoft is currently selecting a manufacturer for these drives in Taiwan, when contacted the tech giant stated that it "does not comment on rumour and speculation".

But then it is unlikely that any official announcement will be made until 360's external HD-DVD drive has been released this Christmas, for fear of putting off a whole wave of potential new Xbox 360 owners who would rather wait for a fully integrated system.

source

no word on if the internal drive is meant to be for games or not, but the paragraph about ps3/kojima certainly points to that. if that is the case the "new" xbox360 would not only fragment the market hugely (hey, how about not being able to play halo3 because it's hd-dvd?) but also drive the cost of the machine up into ps3 territory.

hopefully it's all BS though. having said that, last time GR had some "sources" say something like this, microsoft announced the external HD-DVD drive :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Microsoft have already stated that the hd drive wont be for games and seeing they are talking about getting 10 million consoles sold by next year that would mean any game that came out on hd would be incompatable with a massive userbase. They may be talking about supplying one built in but no developer is going to alienate a massive userbase of potential games purchasers.

Konami's statement also dosnt really mean a thing the gamecubes games didnt always fit on the one disc it didnt stop them putting titles on multiple discs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Kristok wrote:
    They may be talking about supplying one built in but no developer is going to alienate a massive userbase of potential games purchasers.

you say that but theoretically sony charging €600 for a console does exactly what you're saying, so what's to stop microsoft... who remember, already have a moderately sized install base as it is.

i'd say if bungie are complaining about DVD9 space when trying to render 40sq miles of textures etc. microsoft would quickly jump into action and do something about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

GR only have source say they are planning a 360 with a HD-DVD built in, which would be nothing suprising. GR is only assuming this will be used for games, they don't have any sources on that.

Halo uses in engine cutscenes, they should have no problems with disk size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

releasing extras that are required to play certain games has always been the end of a console in the past, hopefully ms have studied this and are only releasing the hd-dvd drive as an optional extra for hd-dvd movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Microsoft have already stated that the hd drive wont be for games

I dont neccessarily believe the contrary, but then they did say the same thing about the optional hard disc - which is now compulsary for some games to run.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

you say that but theoretically sony charging €600 for a console does exactly what you're saying, so what's to stop microsoft... who remember, already have a moderately sized install base as it is.

i'd say if bungie are complaining about DVD9 space when trying to render 40sq miles of textures etc. microsoft would quickly jump into action and do something about it.

When i say developer im not talking about microsoft im talking about any company making games none of which will want to stop any person who wants to buy their game from buying it. Microsoft are playing everything very cool right now and not overreacting to sony so it would seem unlikly they would just change their stance when their is no reason to, again ill point out the fact that nothing is stoping multiple dvd discs being used and no game is going to need more than 9gb at any one time so its really a mute point because there is really just no need for it to be used for games imo.

I dont neccessarily believe the contrary, but then they did say the same thing about the optional hard disc - which is now compulsary for some games to run.
    They never said anywhere the HDD wouldn't be compulsary for some games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Kristok wrote:
    Microsoft have already stated that the hd drive wont be for games

Yep, they've said this multiple times. That point kinda takes from the credibility of the entire article, but I could believe that there will be an internal version on sale next year sometime.

skywalker wrote:
    Yep, they've said this multiple times. That point kinda takes from the credibility of the entire article, but I could believe that there will be an internal version on sale next year sometime.
    Source please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Source: Teh Internet

Ms have said it. Doesn't mean they won't break it but that would be stupid as nobody that has a 360 would buy the next console from them.

I imagin the Premium will get it and the Core will get a HDD standard then. HD-DVD drives can play DVD's anyway so it's not a big deal.

Maybe later on if space is a real issue they can offer games on both formats (disaster) or just HD-DVD when they can release an add on for about the price of a DVD player.

Or they could start shippin games on the new HD-DVD discs that have a HD-DVD layer and a DVD layer so that it works in both but there's not really much point in that unless they have a second DVD disc with the rest of the content for the DVD version.

In any case they can't abandon the current user base. It's just too big at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

does anyone have any updates on this?
    im looking to get a 360 but with that hd player , the cost of the console reaches nearly the ps3 level which for me its not worth it.
    at the same time i dunno .. can any1 confirm that the hd player is just for movies or also for games?

It was nothing but a rumour and MS haven't said anything about it.

The HD-DVD drive is for nothing but movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

OMG my friend was jokeing about Microsoft making a 720 during the summer!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I fully expect Halo 3 to demand a HDD; I said that the day the full specs of the 360 was announced (and it was revealed that the HDD would be optional).

As for making HD-DVD games, nah, I don't think so; I also don't see them making an internal HD-DVD drive either, purely because it means they can jump onto one format or another once the winner is obvious (if there is one).
    I would expect that, at some point in the near future, the current premium 360 would drop down to the core price range (with the core model going out of production) and a 360 with a HD-DVD extra and/or bigger HDD taking the place of the premium model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Microsoft are well capable of making gaffs but making the HD-DVD a requirement for certain games, particularly big titles, would be a massive mistake. If a developer is running out of space on a DVD, let them use a second one ffs, it's not a difficult concept to grasp!!

Secondly, it makes perfect sense for them to release a revised version of the console with the hd-dvd player buiilt in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Source please.

Major Nelson's podcast's have featured this for awhile. He usually has the accessory product manager on it. That guy said that the HD-DVD drive will be only for films.

Also think of production costs. DVD's a pretty cheap to produce. So say you make a massive game and your compression is still not enough. Would it not be cheaper to make a second dvd for the game rather then HD-DVD?*

*I don't understand the costs in HD-DVD production so if anyone has more information i'd be grateful.

Major Nelson's podcast's have featured this for awhile. He usually has the accessory product manager on it. That guy said that the HD-DVD drive will be only for films.
    I was looking for a source where MS said the HDD would never be needed for games, just optional. But in all the different threads people have said it in no one can provide a source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

oops sorry i misread that

EDIT: They do kinda make it out to be optional on their website. Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

I'm hoping the next xbox will be out within the next 2 years. This generation of consoles is lasting long because game developers can do many things with games but an even more powerful console will allow games to be even better. Better AI, more characters on screen, better graphics etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

profitius wrote: »
    I'm hoping the next xbox will be out within the next 2 years. This generation of consoles is lasting long because game developers can do many things with games but an even more powerful console will allow games to be even better. Better AI, more characters on screen, better graphics etc.

I read the OP thinking, what the fook is he talking about. Then I read the date of the post...

The 360 isn't even at its half cycle if I remember correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Old threads hurt my head in the mornings:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

profitius wrote: »

WTF are you dragging up a 4 year old post for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Damn I thought there was a new xbox coming out!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

read some of the OP and was like, why the **** would they do that now? hddvds are gone... then i realised....

facepalm.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Zombie thread returns from the dead. Rhyming is intentional, and so is the lock.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement