Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FIFA World Rankings

• 13-09-2006 5:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭

well we've managed to drop to 43rd in the world rankings, i suppose thats whats happens when you dont qualify for a tournament in 4 years. we were 12th in january 2005.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Well England, a team that couldn't hit a barn door at the World Cup, leap-frogged Italy, the World Cup winners. So I wouldn't take too much from the rankings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

ye thats a joke how the hell are england 4th they just played Andorra and Macedonia and they move to 4th?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The system is a joke but we all know Ireland are a disaster now and deserve to be where they are - way behind Scotland with Northern Ireland slowly creeping up behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Well England, a team that couldn't hit a barn door at the World Cup, leap-frogged Italy, the World Cup winners. So I wouldn't take too much from the rankings.

Conveniantly ignoring the fact that Italy drew with Lithuania and lost To France in the same period. France jumped 2 places to 2nd (on the back of two wins), Argentina held their ground at 3rd, and England jumped 2 places to 4th.

The French dropped 3 places to 5th, losing more ranking points than England gained from their wins.

http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/statistics/index/0,2548,121949,00.html?articleid=121949

Its a poor system, but lets not lose sight of recent results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Conveniantly ignoring the fact that Italy drew with Lithuania and lost To France in the same period.
    Well I guess it's a debate on whether or not two results justify the jump in places....not in my opinion.
    I do think England are already a better team than they were under Sven, but with the greatest respect to Andorra and Macedonia, I don't think 6 points against them merrits the jump up the rankings.

But meh, the FIFA rankings have been talked about plenty of times here before, I don't think many take them as gospel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

If we're listed as 43rd then the fifa rankings may finally be begining to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

How about instead of complaining about this every few months, people come up with their own system, and maybe apply it to a few teams to see if they can come up with anything better.

The whole point behind the FIFA system is for it to be opinion neutral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Pigman II wrote:
    If we're listed as 43rd then the fifa rankings may finally be begining to work.
    I'd actually love to see where you'd be if we won the world cup. You're worse than Dunphy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

It's a ****ty system, we are bad but are we that bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Its a new system, isn't it? Ireland's position seems about right given their results in competitive games.

And 'techincally' Italy didn't beat France at the WC, so im sure that has a bearing on things :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

SofaKing wrote:

And 'techincally' Italy didn't beat France at the WC, so im sure that has a bearing on things :)

Officially it was a draw, just like Ireland V Romania in 1990.

Advertisement