Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United V Celtic(may contain scores)

• 13-09-2006 6:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭

Since no-ones done it ill get the ball rolling.

Im going for a united victory, Celtics defence is rocked with injuries to three of their first team defenders that coupled with the return of Wayne Rooney and Paul Scholes should make it difficult for them to get a win

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I don't think the result is in any doubt. Handy win for an in form United welcoming back Rooney over an average Celtic side who have already struggled domestically this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Celtic team:

Boruc
    Wilson---Caldwell---McManus---Naylor
    Jarosik---Lennon---Gravesen----
    Nakamura
    McGeady
    Vennegoor

subs:
    Marshall
    Telfer
    Balde
    Zurawski
    Miller
    Sno
    Maloney

United team:

van der Sar
    Neville---Ferdinand---Brown---Silvestre
    Fletcher----Carrick---Scholes----Giggs
    Rooney---Saha

subs:
    Kuszczak
    Evra
    Smith
    Vidic
    Solskjaer
    O'Shea
    Richardson

Park ruled out for 3 months...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Park ruled out for 3 months? :confused:

Feck I only just remembered that Ronaldo is banned :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

what happened to park?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

This should be an intriguing game. As a United fan I hope they're clinical but I would also love one of those epic European nights.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Atlas_IRL wrote:
    what happened to park?

They announced it on MUTV,

Park will have an operation tomorrow due to a ligament damage picked up during the Spurs game. Out for 3 months!

Taken from the BBC

Man Utd suffer Park injury blow

Park joined Man Utd from PSV Eindhoven
    Manchester United midfielder Park Ji-sung has been ruled out for three months with an ankle injury.

The South Korean international picked up the injury in Saturday's 1-0 win over Spurs after coming on as a substitute for Kieran Richardson.

A scan confirmed Park had suffered ankle ligament damage.

A three month absence would see Park miss all of United's Champions League group games as well as a dozen Premiership games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Go Celtic, they're playing alot better than United at the mo but I reckon that the quality of Man U will win through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Goal Celtic, FFS! Rio...

omg please dont let this be a repeat of last years performances...

i still think we'll win :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Wohooo Terrible defending by Ferdinand! 1-0 Celtic

1-1 saha penalty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

A dive from Giggs wins a penalty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

not a dive. he fell to the ground on contact. the keeper was stupid.

this is bad now that Giggs is gone off. he has been our best player this season. and with park out now too this could turn into the usual crap.

we need giggs back as soon as possible. hopefully he has nothin wrong.

Vennergoor just had another good chance. luckily it went to VDS. I think the first goal shouldve been saved though.

GOAL Saha.... just about. :D

and a typical Nakamura free kick

2-2

2-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Am I the only one who thinks saha is way overrated? Even when there put on a plate for him he cuts it close. If hes at any other club hed be considered mediocre imo.

Incredible game.

The referee is having a poor night. That booking for Silvestre was a joke...and I'll also admit to the penalty decision being the wrong one. It would be a shame for a game like this to be overshadowed by referee calls, I hope he doesn't do anything stupid in the second half.

Losing Giggs was a big blow. Not so sure about the formation now, Solskjaer seems to have just taken up the left wing but has been fairly annonymous since he came on.
    Babybing wrote:
    Am I the only one who thinks saha is way overrated? Even when there put on a plate for him he cuts it close. If hes at any other club hed be considered mediocre imo.
    Yeah, he's only scored twice tonight, shouldn't be on the pitch tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Entertaining game alright, neither team looking particularily impressive though.

• Advertisement

I'd imagine that the hair dryer treatment will be dished out during half time...

Slightly off topic, but Roy Keane's Sunderland are beating leeds 2-0 at half time. Goals from Liam Miller and Graham Kavanagh.

evad_lhorg wrote:
    There's not a hope in hell that was a peno. :)

McGeady seems like he has a ton of bricks on his shoulders. Naka wasn't looking confident either. Lennon was pretty quiet and Jarosik wasn't doing great. United aren't at their best but Celtic certainly aren't either.

I was sure Naka would score that goal when I seen where the freekick was. You couldn't place it better than that for him to score. I was more suprised that United didn't do their research on Naka's freekick. Every single time he shoots for the right post and VDS left that side completely free.

Great game but Celtic are ripped off yet again in the CL. I'm still not confident of them holding on but they should be bloody winning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭johnos

Lefty-liberal Brit paper reporting on Brit match between two Brit teams gets a little confused and reverts to paddy joke humour. Still, has a point...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Might want to fix your link.

Goal Ole Ole Ole Ole

Babybing wrote:

point proven again for Oles goal. Saha shouldve had his hat-trick but went straight at the keeper and his second wasnt too convincing either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭johnos

Might want to fix your link.
    Fixed, begob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

least a hat-trick tbh
    Yeah, he's only scored twice tonight, shouldn't be on the pitch tbh.

Thats my point! United make him look good. A good striker (or one worthy of the praise Saha recieves) would have had at least a hat trick already tonight. I seen him at the weekend with prime opportunities and evry one he got went straight at the keeper. Im not complaining by the way. I hope united keep playing him.;)

omg Rooney has missed two easy goals by his standards. especially the second imo... it was completely obvious where he was goin with that shot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Celtic are lucky to be still in this. Good to see the assassin back. I'll never forgive him for taking Rob Lee out when he was through one on one at Old Trafford and the fans applauding him as he was sent off for the professional foul. Or elbowing Aaron Hughes and playing on to score in their 5-3 win same fixture a few seasons later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

evad_lhorg wrote:

Yeah, the keeper was nowhere near the ball, he went straight for Giggs and contact was clearly made and put Giggs off. I think it was a penalty. Giggs ain't exactly the diving type, either.

2tm3.gif

Celtic's keeper is really after keeping them in this game

tbh he has played excellent. he has made some great saves

Terrific game. If I was a neutral, I wouldn't have wanted it to end.

On the basis of chances it was a flattering scoreline, United had so many chances to finish the game off. But on the balance of play, it was probably a fair reflection. Tight from start to finish, but United were a little better.

Just bringing up the Saha debate again, even though he may feel like he should've scored before Solskjaer put it away, you have to admire his other three chances; the superb volley that just went over, the header he somehow carved out just before that went just wide, and the header in the second half that an inspired Boruc managed to get to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Best goal of the game: Nakamura
    Best save of the game: Boruc from Telfer!
    Best dive of the game: Giggs

Could have been a bigger loss but Celtic gave away a lot of balls in the 2nd half

• Advertisement

Yeah, the keeper was nowhere near the ball, he went straight for Giggs and contact was clearly made and put Giggs off. I think it was a penalty. Giggs ain't exactly the diving type, either.

2tm3.gif
    That's one view of it and all it shows is how late and easy Giggs went down. Boruc went for the ball, knew he wouldn't get it and pulled out. Look where the ball is going. It was never a peno in a million years.

Anyway, United deserved the win. Not because they were great but because the amount of mistakes Celtic made. Gravesen was at fault for the 2 goals and Telfer is an absolute legend. :)

I was really disappointed at 1-1 but I'm not too disappointed after the game. Nobody will beat United in Old Trafford and Copenhagen held Benfica to a draw.

The one good thing to come from this game - Shaun Maloney is back!!! :)

Best dive of the game: Giggs
    Well he limped off after that and was substituted, ever think it might have been a muscle problem that caused him to go down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Wasn't a peno but man u deserved the win.

Saha is actually growing on me, he certainly puts himself about the pitch more than rvn which helps the team as a whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Wasnt a penalty.

Celtic battled hard but United were always that bit better. In all fairness we could have had a hatful here tonight, the celtic goalie was on fire.

It was worrying how Celtic came and took us on though. We had nobody in midfield breaking down their attacks and Venegoor beat Ferdinand on numerous occasions.

On the plus side I thought Scholes was fantastic. Saha looked very good also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Saha looked very good also.

great finisher eh WMyJumpa?

• Advertisement

Trilla wrote:
    great finisher eh WMyJumpa?

Nope. Not a great finisher. He done well tonight, came deep, won the ball, ran at the defence but he still makes some bad decisions. Pulled some great chances out of the hat tonight and I will give him that but a great finisher to me is RVN, saha is not on a par with RVN in terms of finishing.

Saha was superb. Rooney was quiet and I didn't hear Carrick's name get mentioned much (although he seemed to be doing more off the ball work). Scholes is class and was at times playing as United's deapest midfielder tonight.

I'm really annoyed at how poor the Celtic players were individually as I want people to see how good they are. :) McGeady was just so nervous and had a really disappointing game. Gravesen was terrible. Lennon was his usual terrible self. Caldwell and McManus at the back suprised me, they were excellent. Wilson was his usual self, never has a bad game.

I think Celtic can definitely qualify now. The 2 easiest games are their next 2 games and 6 points is crucial.

Strachan summed up my thoughts in his after match interview on Sky Sports. He said Celtic fans will wake up tomorrow morning thinking "what could have been". All United's chances came from mistakes. I certainly wasn't going to turn on RTE so could anyone tell me what they thought of Celtic? :)

he still makes some bad decisions.

ah so did RVN IMO, but I agree he's not on a par in terms of finishing. Wouldnt call him a bad finisher. I remember when he signed first for United, his finishing was class. Scored 22 goals that season, 13 with Fulham. He was great tonight and can do better. A little bit of consistency is needed however in his game

Trilla wrote:
    ah so did RVN IMO, but I agree he's not on a par in terms of finishing. Wouldnt call him a bad finisher. I remember when he signed first for United, his finishing was class. Scored 22 goals that season, 13 with Fulham. He was great tonight and can do better. A little bit of consistency is needed however in his game

Trilla he is what it is imo, a speedy striker. His finishing is poor. I think it was Spurs he was clean through on goal twice, once he blazed it over and the other he hit straight at the GK.

However I like what he is bringing to United, that pace and counter attacking football from the good old days.

Second what Eirebhoy had to say about Carrick. Very quiet again tonight. He is sitting back which is where he can spray balls around but tonight proved we need somebody sitting back who can break down attacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Utd could have had 10, yet Celtic could easily have stolen a point right at the end.

astrofool wrote:
    Utd could have had 10, yet Celtic could easily have stolen a point right at the end.

summed up simply and correctly. in a nutshell.

Roll on the gunners this Sunday. What was wrong with Henry tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Admittedly, I don't get the chance to see United live that often, but in all honesty, can anyone tell me the point of Fletcher? I really can't see what the guy contributes to the team.

astrofool wrote:
    C'mon, they weren't that dominant. :) United's best chance which the didn't score from was Rooney's. What else was there? I'm completely open to correction considering I've had a few drinks but would love to know. :)

btw - couldn't agree more about Fletcher. This was Richardson's type of game. I don't understand Fergie sticking by the likes of Fletcher and O'Shea.

eirebhoy wrote:
    C'mon, they weren't that dominant. :) United's best chance which the didn't score from was Rooney's. What else was there? I'm completely open to correction considering I've had a few drinks but would love to know. :)

btw - couldn't agree more about Fletcher. This was Richardson's type of game. I don't understand Fergie sticking by the likes of Fletcher and O'Shea.

Saha x 2 headers. Saha x 2 shots. Telfer x 2 own goals!!

Rooney had 2 good chances, one from 2 yards where Rio ran down the byline and the one Boruc saved from. Scholes had 2 good chances also. Saha had 6 attempts at goal, Telfer hit the post and Ole had a half chance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement