Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queens of the stone age meet deathfrom above 1979!

• 13-09-2006 7:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

A little while ago someone made a post about your ideal band... mine consisted of

josh homme (vocals and guitar)
    Dave Grohl (drums)
    Jessie Keller (death from above 1979)

And it went on...

Jessie Keller has been announced to be the new bass player for queens of the stone age!

This is viod of kicking more ass.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,156 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Any word on the new album?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭weemcd

This begs to differ otherwise, seems Keeler won't be part of the lineup -taken from jfk himself on the bands official site.

Have to say this is a disappointment, Keeler would have brought some dynamism to the group after the departure of Lanegan, and the void left by Oliveri - Millionaire, Autopilot, Six Shooter, Gonna leave you and Ode anyone?
    Also for the record, my dream qotsa lineup is:

Josh
    Joey (dave who?)
    Oliveri
    Lanegan
    Troy

shame we will never see it*

*here's hoping we see it one day, even if it is 25 years from now!

nickjosh1ig1.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Autobot Killa

could possibly be the best band ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Bah i dont care how cool death from above are he'l never replace oliveri, i wish he got back in queens i wasnt such a fan of lullabys to paralise or whatever its called.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

weemcd wrote:

Joey (dave who?)

Dave Grohl :rolleyes: ;)

I think the DFA guy would be a great addition but QOTSA definitely isnt the same without Oliveri. they had it all on songs for the deaf.... kick ass riffs, amazing drumming, Screaming from nick, and great singing from Mark and Josh. tht is what was best about qotsa. just really heavy to a softer then back into really heavy again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

weemcd wrote:
    Also for the record, my dream qotsa lineup is:

Josh
    Joey (dave who?)
    Oliveri
    Lanegan
    Troy

shame we will never see it*

Was that not the line up that toured for the Songs for the Deaf album? I'm fairly certain Joey was the drummer then (the others were definitely there anyway).

John wrote:
    Was that not the line up that toured for the Songs for the Deaf album? I'm fairly certain Joey was the drummer then (the others were definitely there anyway).

Doubt they would have had troy touring at that stage, and lanegan may have only been an occasional performer, but i am open to correction on this. The main point is, sftd on tour WAS the best time to see the band (and strongest album imo)!

ps. anyone here have the dessert sessions millionaire track? Kinda cool, the words are much easier to make out :)

Troy was definitely with them then, I saw them around that time and Troy was playing guitar, steel slide guitar and keyboards. Lanegan was there too. It's only the drummer that I'm not sure about but I think it was Joey.

Oliveri still with them at that stage???

my one word to describe that would be: tasty

Yeah, now that I think about it, they played here twice with that line up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Im going to guess that Troy was with them for SFTD. He is in the video for No One Knows aswell. Keeler in that band would be crazy. I really hope QOTSA come here for their own gig other than a festival slot next time. A great band they are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Any word on the new album?

desert sessions 11+12!
    could possibly be the best band ever.

They already are really imo. They could get even better tho!
    Patricide wrote:
    Bah i dont care how cool death from above are he'l never replace oliveri, i wish he got back in queens i wasnt such a fan of lullabys to paralise or whatever its called.

Noone will replace oliveri, all we can do as fans is support his gig and show support for him being with queens - where he belongs! lullabys is a great album, its another step for the band, it marks versatility imo.
    evad_lhorg wrote:
    Dave Grohl :rolleyes: ;)

ghrol is part of what made songs for the deaf imo. foo fighters are pants, ghrol needs to come back to his rock roots.
    John wrote:

Im pritty sure joey joined after ghrol. From what i know ghrol was a big fan of qotsa and learned their set list in a weekend after alfredo hernandez left, gigged with them that summer, did work on songs for the deaf, got qotsa back on their feet, then joey came along and took over - he does a great job imo, but he cant play songs for the dead like ghrol ;)
    weemcd wrote:
    Doubt they would have had troy touring at that stage, and lanegan may have only been an occasional performer, but i am open to correction on this. The main point is, sftd on tour WAS the best time to see the band (and strongest album imo)!

ps. anyone here have the dessert sessions millionaire track? Kinda cool, the words are much easier to make out :)

Yea, without a doubt the songs for the deaf tour was the best. I dont like the new additions to the band, the girl keyboard player (i have erased her name from my memory), and alan yohanis turns every good bass riff into guitar mush - he ruins the rythem section. ITS NOT A FUKIN GUITAR ITS A BASS! They did have troy touring on that tour aswell, from the mid section onwards, as he left perfect circle.

The desert sessions version of millionare found on albums 5+6 is fukin great! Blatent strat version, thats the version that me and my band cover... The chap singing that version wrote the song, and oliveri saw a new angle on it - which is one of my favourite songs of all time, coz no matter what i always wanna hear it... *turns on millionare*
    John wrote:
    Troy was definitely with them then, I saw them around that time and Troy was playing guitar, steel slide guitar and keyboards. Lanegan was there too. It's only the drummer that I'm not sure about but I think it was Joey.

It was alfredo hernandez playing drums. From what i know lanegan only 'left' queens because of illness, but i think hes been on the mend for a while. The way it looks is that they try work their tours together, and mark sings when he can. I wouldnt say hes out of the band tho... the website may say otherwise..
    Mushy wrote:
    Im going to guess that Troy was with them for SFTD. He is in the video for No One Knows aswell. Keeler in that band would be crazy. I really hope QOTSA come here for their own gig other than a festival slot next time. A great band they are

Yea, then we can weed out all the ass thumbing gimps that said queens sucked at oxygen - dicks. I STILL havnt seen them. Every time they came to ireland something serious came up, and i had to miss them. So i bought tickets to see them with foo fighters in hyde park... some drunken muppet got my flight delayed and i missed queens...

THE CURSE MUST BE BROKEN! :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭binman

Yea it was definetly that line-up at the SFTD gig I remember it well, freaking awesome gig. Lanegan came on for a few songs at a time. But it was one of the few times you would see Oliveiri and Troy at the same time in the band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

red ice wrote:
    then joey came along and took over - he does a great job imo, but he cant play songs for the dead like ghrol

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY will be able to play that song like him. For ******, i liked QOTSA and i listened to that song for a full week before the gig, didnt think they'd play it. I heard the hats intro and i inclined my head towards the stage, then josh started THAT riff, and my mouth just fell open. What followed as incredible.
    red ice wrote:
    I STILL havnt seen them.

That is a tough break. Im beginning to think something like that might happen me and i wont see them again. WAnted to go england, but i left it too late and had work and everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

red_ice wrote:
    So i bought tickets to see them with foo fighters in hyde park... some drunken muppet got my flight delayed and i missed queens...

THE CURSE MUST BE BROKEN! :/

You didn't miss much. I went over to see them at Hyde Park and it wasn't good at all. It was one of the worst sounds I have ever heard at a gig and the set was kind of short. I was expecting much more from them. Haven't seen them play and solo gigs yet but hopefully someday they will. Went to see them when they played Slane a few years ago and again the setting let them down slightly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

John wrote:
    I do believe you are actually correct, Troy has been in the band since 2002.

Advertisement