Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Signal Quality

• 13-09-2006 7:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭

In general - is the signal quality of your mobile phone mainly by the

a) the handset

or

b) the network

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Its both.
    I think the network has a greater impact though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

The network being the major deciding factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

although i was down the pub with a mate and i had half signal and he had none. they were both meteor phones.

generally in such cases the phone is faulty though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭ns06

Different makes and model of handsets pick up the network differently.

Nokia pick up the network better than Sony Ericsson generally. Not by a huge amount, but in my experience that seems to be the case.

I'm sure somebody has had a Nokia 6610 (for example) and then upgraded to a..... say, 6230 (also an example) and found the 6610 to be better for them with picking up a signal.

Again, it's all about what network you're on, where you are based etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

ns06 wrote:
    Different makes and model of handsets pick up the network differently.

Nokia pick up the network better than Sony Ericsson generally. Not by a huge amount, but in my experience that seems to be the case.

I'm sure somebody has had a Nokia 6610 (for example) and then upgraded to a..... say, 6230 (also an example) and found the 6610 to be better for them with picking up a signal.

Again, it's all about what network you're on, where you are based etc
    Not sure about the 6610/6230 comparison - but the Nokia/SE thing is definitly my experience too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Hi,

There's a ot of factors which affect it. A sim card can also affect the signal, mobile phones are much more complicated now a days I wor for on of the operators and experience all sorts of problems with coverage,

switching ur fone off and back on will help a lot of the time!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭ns06

I agree Bazzy!

A sim card can definitely have an affect on your quality of signal!

Remember, there are several different types of sims from 8K all the way up to the present 64K (with 16k & 32K in between) so there's many a problem you can face with an old type sim.

There's only 3 problems you'll ever face generally when it comes to signal and picking up adequate coverage; the handset, sim card or network.
    Process of elimination will sort any problem fairly quickly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭jetsonx

some interesting comments there...

some more questions - I've heard a SIM card can pick up static and that
    can interfere with the reception ?

what is between a 16 k sim card and a 64 K one ? surely memory should'nt
    interfere with signal.

what is a "network compliant" phone ? do telcos alter handsets in someway
    to make them more compatible with their network ? would it be a disadvantage just to use any "sim free" phone and stick in your sim card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

jetsonx wrote:
    what is between a 16 k sim card and a 64 K one ? surely memory should'nt
    interfere with signal.

It's more that a 64k one is newer. Better technology on it. An older one might be a little damaged by now also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

ns06 wrote:

Used to use a 6610 and indeed found it had a great signal. Changed to a siemens S65 last year, and while no problems as such, its definitely inferior to the 6610.

Curious about the SIM card having an effect.

Does anyone know the defiinitive explanation for this (my current card goes back a long lloonngg way - for those who remember the Nokia5110)

• Advertisement
Advertisement